Crankshaft wont turn - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Crankshaft wont turn

In the middle of replacing the CCT (Cam chain tensioner) on my 04 600RR and after taking off the timing cover i notice the "T" is not lined up with the notch, so I manually turned it clockwise and it wont turn any more. Anyone have any tips? Can I just spin it counter clockwise?

Here is a picture of where it got stuck

Last edited by i471; 07-27-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 10:22 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Yeah you can turn counterclockwise too but be sure to not loose the bolt. Sometimes it's a little hard on compression to turn it but normalyt it turn easy. If your crank is stuck maybe it's a good sign there's somes problems . (Just to make sure are you in neutral??)

Keldom
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 10:30 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
the CCT presses against a tensioner piece inside the case to keep the cam chain tight. if you had the CCT out and tried to turn the crankshaft you might have wedged the tensioner between the case and chain making it not turn anymore... you might have to pull the head cover off and see if it's wedged in there

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 10:53 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,058 Times in 861 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
the CCT presses against a tensioner piece inside the case to keep the cam chain tight. if you had the CCT out and tried to turn the crankshaft you might have wedged the tensioner between the case and chain making it not turn anymore... you might have to pull the head cover off and see if it's wedged in there
What on earth are you talking about.

Just try harder man. Your crank isn't 'stuck'
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 10:59 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
the cct presses on #3 which in turn presses against the cam chain... #3 is what I was talking about

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldom View Post
Yeah you can turn counterclockwise too but be sure to not loose the bolt. Sometimes it's a little hard on compression to turn it but normalyt it turn easy. If your crank is stuck maybe it's a good sign there's somes problems . (Just to make sure are you in neutral??)
Thanks for the reponses guy ive been at it all day. Yes I am in neutral. I can turn it counter clockwise and clockwise but only about 180 degress/half a full turn before it gets too hard/stuck. I heard a couple loud clicks while manually turning the crankshaft, could i have messed up the timing?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 12:55 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
the cct presses on #3 which in turn presses against the cam chain... #3 is what I was talking about

The guide is secured with a bolt. It can't go anywhere
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 01:36 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Try turning with your spark plug s removed.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 10:49 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Try to hit the starter if there's sometimes Inside the chain that blocks then with the starter it will **** up all the things XD lol Dont do it!. Last time I saw sometime like that (it was on a bus engine, I repair them) there was a bolt stuck on the crank gear that block it. Maybe your CCT was too loose and a cam has skipped a gear in the chain and now the valve are hitting the top of your piston (I don't know in this kind of engine if the valves clear the piston when it isn't timed) Just some ideas.

Keldom
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I heard a two loud clicks while trying to rotate the crankshaft manually with the CCT out of the engine. Im pretty sure the timing is off. I installed the tensioner afterwards, then tried to start the bike. I watched the crankshaft spin completely but never fired. Did I just ruin my engine?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 12:32 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by i471 View Post
I heard a two loud clicks while trying to rotate the crankshaft manually with the CCT out of the engine. Im pretty sure the timing is off. I installed the tensioner afterwards, then tried to start the bike. I watched the crankshaft spin completely but never fired. Did I just ruin my engine?

NEVER EVER EVER try to turn the engine without the tensioner. you never stated this when you started the thread.

those two loud clicks were the cam chain slipping over the cam gears. your timing is out now.

did it sound like absolute **** when you cranked it? (WHY THE **** DID YOU CRANK IT). if not you may have gotten lucky and all you'll have to do is retime it.

if you smacked your valves you've got some work ahead of you.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't do things you have no idea how to do. there are MANY posts about how to do this very simple job. next time you should read if you're not sure before you just go at it head first. hopefully you'll get out of this one easy.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So assuming there is no engine damage. All that needs to be done is reset the cams in the correct position and apply tension to the cam chain and the bike will fire right up?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 03:20 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
assuming you didn't crash anything then yes.

read the manual before attempting.

the bike will require some pretty serious tear down to re-time it. you'll have to pull just about everything to get the valve cover off. at that point you can reset the cams to the proper timing, as well as the crank obviously, then set the tensioner again.

if you don't feel comfortable timing the engine, let someone else do it. seriously.
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
i471 (07-29-2014)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I wish you vavle didn't stamp the piston or it will be a head + piston to change :O. Like Wibbly said read the manual it will give you all the détails for you to get to the cam and time it nice so that you didn't ruin your engine :P

Keldom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page