Gauge problem, no one has posted the cause yet! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gauge problem, no one has posted the cause yet!

Hey guys, i have searched all over the web and found a couple threads on here where people had the same problem but did not follow up with what the actual problem or cause was. My fuel gauge is scrolling up and down, and according to the manual this indicates a problem with the fuel system. I did just change the battery and noticed it then, i was wondering if it might just be a plug thats lose that leads to the tank? I've been trying to find answers on here though before i start ripping panels and fairings off my bike to try and find something that may not even be the problem. I know their is people out there who have had this problem and who have likely had it fixed so i'm just looking for some help, and direction on where to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

oh btw, the bike is running fine, no indication that their is a problem with the actual fuel system so thats why i'm wondering if its just a sensor or plug or what this is thats triggering this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 05:40 AM

hey man,
my fuel gauge did that when i accidentally mounted my bank angle sensor upside-down...yea i know i'm an idiot.
took it apart, mounted it properly and that took care of that...
anyway, probably not much help; but thats the only experience i have with that sort of problem.

peter

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Ya i was thinking maybe a sensor but nothing has been taken apart on the bike, and it hasnt been dumped. Come to think of it this didn't start after i put the new battery in, i put the new battery in and then the bike ran out of gas and ever since then its been doing this. Was wondering if theres a way to reset it on these bikes or if its basically like a car where you disconnect the negative terminal for a couple minutes to reset everything, if so i already tried that and with no luck.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 01:54 PM

im sorry man, but i've got no more helpful advice for you. im new to the bike scene. but yea resetting the ECU should be done by just disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes.
sorry i couldnt help, hope you figure it out.
peter
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Is the bike under warranty? Reset the ECU but if it comes back take it to the dealer.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:25 PM

well it happens if the tank wiring is unplugged, but if your getting gas that is not the case...hmmm... try checking the wiring to your tank that would be your first option....and if you dont feel like you can do that yourself bring it to the dealer... like the others said above also try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes

hope that helps
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Pocketbike Racer

duh

so does you gauge start out with three bars in the middle then scroll up and down to look like its full then erase from the middle to the top and bottom to look like it is empty?

- - - -
- - - -
- - - -
- -> - -> - -> -> ->
- - - -
- - - -
- - - -

Last edited by scoRRpion; 04-18-2006 at 11:33 AM. Reason: wrong wording
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Pocketbike Racer

ok that didnt work out like i wanted it too
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

lol scorpion i think i know what your trying to say and yes thats what it does, i'm gonna take it to the local honda dealer and see what they say before i rip my tank off to check the wiring. I called one dealership and this girl tried telling me it might be the sending unit, but if the sending unit in the tank is junk then i imagine it wouldn't be pumping gas out of the tank and i should have problems starting and keeping the bike running and thats not the case. I already reset the ECU that didnt help, i'll see what the dealerships oppinion is when they see it and go from there and i'll follow up on this thread when and if i get it fixed so everyone knows if it happens to them.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Pocketbike Racer

According to the manual its either wiring to the tank or *** your fuel level sensor, and since you said you ran it out of gas maybe the fuel level sensor is stuck at the bottom or faulty?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

what manual does it say this in? Because the owners manual just says problem with the fuel system and to take it to your dealer, either way i'm probably gonna swap out the sending unit with a different one and see if that fixes it because can't really just change the sensor, its all one piece.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Pocketbike Racer

It's in the shop manual, when i get home from work i could e-mail the page to you. Pop open your gas cap and look in there with a flashlight and see if your fuel level sensor is floating were it should be or stuck at the bottom/near bottom of the tank.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Ya i downloaded the service manual for the 03-04 RR's online last night, i tell ya that thing is gonna help me like you would not believe. But anyways i ordered a new sending unit off ebay because when i took mine out and inspected it the fuel level sensor seems sloppy and loose, whether its suppose to be that way i'm not sure, but the service manual says it's either that, the wiring, or the gauge cluster itself. I figure the wiring is fine because the fuel pump is turning on and everything and like i said the bike runs fine, so i basically eliminated that. Once i get the new fuel pump installed hopefully that will fix it, but if not then i would say the only other cause would hafta be something in the cluster.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Sounds good, post another squab if that ends up being the fix.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

well i must say, what a joke this has been, i have apparently fixed the problem by the looks of it and my sending unit that i ordered hasn't even came in the mail yet, that could of been of been money i spent elsewhere but oh well. Anyways like i stated above i disconnected the negative battery terminal to reset the ECU, that didn't work. I then took the tank off and made sure the plug under the tank was plugged in correctly which it was. Then i continued to remove the sending unit from the tank to inspect it. Everything looked fine but i was out of options and decided to go on ebay to purchase a new one hoping that would fix the problem. Well tonight i was installing my flush mounts. And disconnected the plug going into the Gauge/Tach/Speedo display so i could remove the front fairing. Once i got my new signals installed i plugged everything back in and turned on the ignition to make sure my flush mounts were working properly. While doing this i also noticed my fuel gauge was now reading that i had half a tank of fuel and now scrolling like it was previously. Needless to say i don't really understand this because in order for this to make sense, A)The plug wasn't plugged in all the way, but i'm not sure how that would make sense considering my speedo, my tach, my signals and everything else was working fine accept my fuel gauge.
OR
B)When disconnecting the plug it isolated the Display panel from receiving any information from anywhere such as the ECU and cleared any memory that may have been stored in the Display Circuit board. But i would of figured when i disconnected the negative terminal on the battery that it would of reset everything.

So really neither of those suggestions really make any sense to me, but thats what seems to have worked for me.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It may have been just a loose PIN connector. If it comes back have the dealer look at it. They may have to replace the wiring harness if the problem persists.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page