Dropped bike in parking lot, coolant smell/leak - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dropped bike in parking lot, coolant smell/leak

Hey guys.

So a few days ago I dropped the bike on the left side in a parking lot. The way it happened was kind of weird, the bike went down pretty hard, but I was only doing about 3-4 mph. Picked it back up, rode it home, thought I smelled some coolant but my sense of smell isn't too great so I didn't know if I was being paranoid.

The next morning I started the bike up and sat on it but answered a few text messages before I started moving and suddenly noticed a cloud of coolant steam (definitely smelled like coolant), and noticed a couple drops of coolant on the left case cover, but could not identify where it was coming from. It almost seemed like it was coming out of the case cover but I'm pretty sure that doesn't make sense lol. Rode it around to see if I could make the leak more obvious while carefully watching the temp, and it never overheated, and the visible leak actually stopped completely. Now I can only smell coolant.

I'm new to working on bikes so I don't really know where anything is on the engine, I havnt even found the water pump or anything. All I see is a spider web of coolant hoses. Besides the hoses is there anything on the left side of the engine that would leak coolant? I really don't see many possible places.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 04:43 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
You got to take both side middle fairings off to inspect the bike parts / hoses and make sure there is no damage to Radiator , Coolant Reservoir bottle or any of the hoses on both side of the bike . Do not assume anything just because symptoms has changed or improved all together dealing with overheated engine while on the road is no fun at all overheatng can lead to serious engine complications

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
water pump is on the left side. Like Moe said, take the fairings off and inspect it to see if you can see where the coolant is leaking. It also might have just been the overflow hose dumping coolant from the bike laying on it's side

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
water pump is on the left side. Like Moe said, take the fairings off and inspect it to see if you can see where the coolant is leaking. It also might have just been the overflow hose dumping coolant from the bike laying on it's side
Thats what I was thinking but this happened the next day. Im running the bike right now and checking for leaks, i still can't find the water pump but i see some residue under the hoses so maybe i just have a leaky hose.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
You got to take both side middle fairings off to inspect the bike parts / hoses and make sure there is no damage to Radiator , Coolant Reservoir bottle or any of the hoses on both side of the bike . Do not assume anything just because symptoms has changed or improved all together dealing with overheated engine while on the road is no fun at all overheatng can lead to serious engine complications
I'm checking the hoses on the left side of the bike right now. Radiator and reservoir are fine.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Aaaaand score. The steel pipe that goes from the radiator to the engine has a small section of rubber hose that connects it to the engine. Seems like its leaking from there. Not sure if the clamp itself is leaking so I'm just gonna go buy a hose and replace it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynapseDynamics View Post
Aaaaand score. The steel pipe that goes from the radiator to the engine has a small section of rubber hose that connects it to the engine. Seems like its leaking from there. Not sure if the clamp itself is leaking so I'm just gonna go buy a hose and replace it.
Great job so far

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 08:30 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
left side of the bike, water pump is the part in the center of the pic with the 2 hoses going into it

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page