Electrical: no brakelights, signals, or horn - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Electrical: no brakelights, signals, or horn

I was riding two nights ago when my gauge cluster went completely out.....i thought i blew a fuse, no biggie, about an hour later i lost all turn signals, brake light and my horn......i took the bike to the shop and they said that it would cost 160.00 to fix, that they had to re-wire the aftermarket turn signals cause they were wrong....then an hour later they said they could not get the Lights to work and that i probably burnt something in the gauge cluster, this shop from what i am told rips people off a lot, they told me everything else was fixed.....i didn't want to pay for the service in full since they didn't fix it but they said if i didn't they would keep the bike....i left and got gas.....i found out that the brake light still didn't work and the horn, plus the right side turn signals....so the only thing they fixed was the left turn signals and the cluster now works fine,,,except that the right signals do not show up on the display, the manager is giving me my money back.....after i left i was on the way home and the left turn signals blew again, cluster is still on....CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS ONE???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Pocketbike Racer

yeah I need a little bit more info about your aftermarket signals like are they 3 wires or two. And also there is a relay inside your guage pod that controls the turnsignals and a few other things that i cant recall right now that might have gotten burnt up but you can replace just that part and not the entire cluster. However lets start with wiring first. If you have a three wire turn signal the bike is wired as follows....... the GREEN wire is Ground, The Blue or Orange with white stripe wire is the running light, and the solid Blue or Orange wire is for turn signal flashers. So you should hook up your aftermarket signals in accordance. Now if you only have a two wire signal you need to hook up the GROUND(green) wire, and the signal flasher wire (solid blue or orange), and leave the running light wire in the stock connector or cut it and cap it off with shrink tube.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Pocketbike Racer

One more thing if your signals are wired wrong and a light bulb burns out it may cause that side not to light up and also not to show up on your guage. So check your front signal bulb on the right side and also check to see if they reconnected the plug to your brake light before you dig into that, you might also have burned something up in the switch case?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply...When i took the bike to the local shop they said that the wires were ran wrong. They said that it was wired so that it could be both running lights and turn signals, but the problem is that you cannot do that with those lights...so I am not sure what has happened...the shop had the left side working, but not the right side after i brought it to them....but the horn and brake light didn't work and that night the left's stopped working....so i am not sure what to do and i don't know anything about electrical...my buddy said it sounded like a relay but if that was the case than how did the shop get the left's to work.. i am going to have to find another honda dealer to take this to.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Pocketbike Racer

what kind of lights do you have on there, and how many wires come out of said lights two or three. If you have LP lights and still have the box they came in on the back it tells you which colored wire should go were. Unless you got LP LED lights then it wont but I can help you with those too. Also if you left the stock connector on the bike side and on the OEM lights hook the OEM's back up and see if everything works right then if it does its the way you have your lights wired, if it doesnt then it might be the relay, your cluster, or the switch plate.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

ANY IDEA WHY THE BRAKE LIGHTS AND HORN WOULD HAVE GONE?? One green wire and one black from what i can see.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:32 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Ok usually with wiring a green colored wire is the ground wire. Do you know if they are LED's or regular filament bulbs? If they are filament bulbs take the lid off the light and look for the wire that is soldered onto the outside caseing of the socket and follow it through and that is your ground wire. This wire should be hooked up to the green wire on the bike side. The other wire, since there is only one other one, should be hooked to the solid blue or orange wire depending on which side of the bike it is on, but should not be hooked to the other wire which should have a white stripe because you are then inducing a short between the turn signal and running light. Basically since you only have two wires you will not be able to have running lights.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Ok just scanned the wiring schematic and all those areas you are having problems with are tied to the same ground. so if your turn signals are wired wrong and they are shorting that ground you would definately lose all those components in that path. By the way when your lights were working did both front and rear turnsignal lights stay running and your turn signal indicators on your guage stay dimmly lit, if so your front signals are most likely still wired wrong. Check the bulbs and replace them then rewire the lights...........................Are there any other aftermarket electrical parts on your bike like the rear signals or a fender eliminator with a built in license plate light?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

There r no other electrical aftermarket parts on the bike, but what u r saying makes since, i have to take the time to trouble shoot this though....i will get back to you and let u know, the shop i took it to first said they had it ran for turn signals and running lights, they just twisted everything together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page