07 headlight does not work but gets power - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
07 headlight does not work but gets power

My headlight was working the other week and then stopped working. I had a hole in my lens so I thought moisture killed the bulb. I bought a new headlight housing and new bulbs. After putting it together it didn't work. I used a voltage tester and tried all the wires and connection parts. Ground wire was good. I was getting over 12 volts to every connector part even the one that connects to the bulb. I tried another bulb with no luck. I looked at the fuse box (even though I was getting power to the bulb)and it was fine. I do not understand that if I'm getting 12volts to the bulb and the ground wire is ok what is the problem. My high beam light on the right side works fine. Thank you for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

update

I tried what I saw on another post. Took apart the ignition switch everything was solder ok. Took apart the light switch everything was ok. The only thing I have not checked is the ballast. the only problem now is I have no clue what a ballast is. I tried to get a picture on google but I see so many different things that I have not seen on my bike..Thanks for any help
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

update

Ok,after realizing I do not have a ballast because I do not have hid I just decide to wiggle the blue and white headlight wire where it was connected to anything. When I wiggled it by the wire harness(I guess that's what it is...has a million wires going to it on the brake side of the bike) the light popped on. I noticed when I pulled the wire to the right the light went off. so I got electrical tape and pulled it to the left and taped it. It works fine so far. Can anyone tell me is that the wire harness and if it is and I would need to get a new one down the road how would you switch it..I was guessing I would need to cut all the wires and re attach them to the new harness? That seems like a very time consuming thing to do but I couldn't figure out another way..thanks for any help

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:09 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I haven't worked on this issue before but after browsing through much of the forum trying to get answers for my own problem I feel I might be able to answer yours.

You don't necessarily need to buy an entire new harness and wire everything back together. I've heard some people just go to Radio Shack and buy a single connector for the wire in question, bypassing the harness.
The Following User Says Thank You to JFranks_ For This Useful Post:
mdcajun (08-14-2014)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

AHHHHH..Yes that does make more since if you can do it that way...thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 10:47 AM
World Superbike Racer

If you're reading power to the headlight supply line then my guess is a bad ground. I would trace the ground wire starting from from the headlight socket and look for weak points.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to AF4iK For This Useful Post:
mdcajun (08-16-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page