Battery Dies after 20 minutes - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery Dies after 20 minutes

I have not ridden my bike this summer due to one reason or another, a few weeks ago i too the bike out for a quick 20 ride. Started up fine, rode to gs station & fueled up, upon starting it was struggling as in the battery was noticeably low but did manage to start fine. I rode back home about 5 minutes & stalled it in my driveway. Bike would not start. Dead battery.

I pushed it in to the garage & parked it. I assumed I needed a new battery as this 04 600RR has the original battery.
Yesterday I went to start it, assuming it won't start but it fired right up !!
I ran it for 20 minutes, turned it off, restart? Nope, Dead battery.

Do I need a battery? If the battery is dead how come it starts after sitting for a few days?

Thanks

Booey

2004 Honda CBR600rr
1995 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8L
1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L
200 Jaguar S Type 4.2L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Modcake with sprinkles

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I would say if you can get it bump started check the charging system. Make sure that if you throw a new battery its not going to drain out as well. If the charging system checks out get a new battery.

Only other option is that same day can you let the biek cool down and then start cold? Or does it really need to sit for a few days before starting back up. I say this because if its just a turn off doesnt turn back on situation it might be the regulator/rectifier getting overheated. Thats an issue on the 04'
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I checked the battery voltage this evening after starting the bike up just fine. 13.64 V at idle
ran the bike for 15 minutes voltage did not go any lower. Turned off bike, it was sluggish to restart & voltage did dip to 10.11 V during cranking but remained at 13.64

2004 Honda CBR600rr
1995 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8L
1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L
200 Jaguar S Type 4.2L

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Modcake with sprinkles

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booey View Post
I checked the battery voltage this evening after starting the bike up just fine. 13.64 V at idle
ran the bike for 15 minutes voltage did not go any lower. Turned off bike, it was sluggish to restart & voltage did dip to 10.11 V during cranking but remained at 13.64

K now run the bike and wait for it to get those same symptoms. Then let it cool down for a few hours then start it up. See if that works. If that works then we know its possibly the regulator/rectifier acting up. When they overheat on the 04 it prevents them from starting up

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 05:14 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I would check your stator, its on the left side of the bike with the casing that says Honda, its like 8 10MM bolts and it has a magnetic casing so you will need to pry it off then replace the gasket, but it sounds like the same problem i had when i bought my bike. You can get a good used stator for about $50 or buy a Ricks motorsports one for about $130. Regardless, that should fix the problem, that would be the first place i would check. Hopefully this helps, let me know what the verdict is.

2006 CBR600RR
-Yoshi Slip-on
-8K HID's
-Third eye delete
-Fender eliminator
-Carbon fiber seats
-Tinted windscreen
-Much more to come!

2013 CBR500R
-Custom full bike wrap
-Yoshimura exhaust
-Custom fender eliminator
-Vortex rearsets
-LED's
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:39 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You can't half assed guess/check on electrical issues or you'll go crazy and broke chasing what the real problem is when simple tests could tell you straight away what the issue was. Get a manual and follow the instructions of testing. The major items could be:

- Battery
- Regulator/rectifier
- Stator

You could also be having starter issues as well as there have been reports of excessive carbon buildup and bad brushes causing hot starting issues. It's more rare but has been documented on here before.

If you battery is more than 5 years old, replace it but still check the rest of the system per the manual. If it's not start with getting it load tested, any Batteries Plus can do that and replace if they suggest it. More than likely it'll be the RR so get an upgraded 05/06 unit while you're at it. But check per the manual or you could possibly buy a new battery and RR and end up frying them because you have a bad stator.

Fix the problems, not the symptoms.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page