Tach is intermittently inop - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tach is intermittently inop

So I have read through a few of the threads about tachs not working. Currently I can't be sure where the problem is since I have not torn apart my bike to test anything yet. I can tell you that I have had ECU Unleashed done to the ECM and I've had BrowningBuck do a color change as well as an accumen indicator. So what is going on is that the tachometer one day started reading 0. Occasionally it will read really low (line under 1k) when I'm at about 10k and accelerating. Other times it will just start working normally. When it is working normally it almost acts like it is sticking when moving through the gears. like it will pause at 3k as I'm still accelerating. The gear indicator has never had an issue with displaying the correct gear. I've also recently had to replace my battery because the original wouldn't start the bike if the key was on for more than 30 seconds. I'm just trying to confirm what my suspicion that the problem is in the cluster. I'm only guessing this because the gear indicator that Browningbuck put in still works so it's obviously getting a perfectly good tach signal. I was thinking that it was battery voltage related since the voltage would drop so low when the key was turned on. Also when the tach stops working it doesn't sweep with the key on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 02:17 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any update mines doing the same?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 03:40 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If you or anyone else removed the tach to do any modification, most likely it's the contact points for the tach motor. I did my own mod and the tach behaved the same as what you've described. I took it out, lined up the motor's pins, and really secured the motor down to their contact points. It has then solved the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page