oil on spark plugs - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil on spark plugs

Idk if this is the correct area to post, but I'm doing my 16k mile maintenance and pulled my plugs. The tips are white and there is oil on the plug with a little brown ring in another spot (I have included pictures). I read online that the white tip can indicate oil combustion (along with it running lean) which would make sense seeing as there is oil as shown in the pictures. Any suggestions on what I should do? As far as I could tell the bike was running normal (I only rode it about 15-20 miles in the past 10 months b.c. I was living somewhere else).

Last edited by agoodsell; 08-17-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 05:57 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I would guess valve stem seals but IDK. Could try a compression test and see what that shows. Low compression could mean bad piston rings which would allow oil to get on the plugs.

“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.” ― Jeremy Clarkson
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I have also dropped it twice so Idk if oil could get in that way, should I just replace the plugs and see if it is from dropping it? Again it seems to run fine. Or do those just look like normal plugs?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 11:10 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you dropped it twice, oil can absolutely get up there, burn and glaze the plug like that. I've seen most plugs on this forum look very similar actually. I'd recommend just changing them out, maybe do a routine check, because symptoms that occurred then, could be non existent now and you could be looking at something that isn't as it seems basically. Make sure to use some anti seize copper or aluminum paste on the threads of the new plugs.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03cbr-rider View Post
If you dropped it twice, oil can absolutely get up there, burn and glaze the plug like that. I've seen most plugs on this forum look very similar actually. I'd recommend just changing them out, maybe do a routine check, because symptoms that occurred then, could be non existent now and you could be looking at something that isn't as it seems basically. Make sure to use some anti seize copper or aluminum paste on the threads of the new plugs.

Is there any reason to not just clean them with some break cleaner and throw them back on? I'm not cheap, I just don't want to throw money in the toilet, so if there's a rational not to do that I wont.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I've decided to replace them seeing as I don't know but a more defiant I've answer would be great. Can you get the tools for a leak down test from autozone?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 02:33 PM
Training Wheel Hero

im sure you can. i would perform a compression test first though.

“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.” ― Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page