Chain issue - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Exclamation Chain issue

Hey guys I've been researching this for the past couple days. Hopefully some of you vets can help me out. I went for a decent length ride (probably around 100miles). On my way home after the ride I heard a clunking sound. I pulled over and noticed my chain is really loose. Last time I checked the chain about a month ago it was pretty close to spec. ( I didn't measure but looked good) from what I've looked up it seems like the CCT is a common issue for this. The CCTS look fine and haven't moved. I have been planning on getting a new chain and sprocket kit anyways. My money doesn't allow for that right away. So I might just buy a new chain. I just want to know if there is anything addition I should check or do. I would hate to replace the chain and still have the same issue. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You should check your chain tension like every 500-1000 miles, not monthly.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 12:22 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,058 Times in 861 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
just adjust your chain and go from there.

make sure you keep it clean and well lubricated.

and the chain adjusters are not the same as the "cct" that's a whole different part. lol

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post

and the chain adjusters are not the same as the "cct" that's a whole different part. lol
Ok I will tighten the chain after work. I just wanted to be sure. I know the chain is not something I want coming off the sprocket. So just to double check. even though my chain went from 1in of slack to about 3in of slack now I should just tighten it to spec and keep an eye on it correct. Should I feel comfortable riding it like normal after tightening it?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 01:00 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Just make sure that the tension doesn't change with position. It should keep the same tension as you rotate the rear wheel. If it goes slack then tight as you rotate the wheel you should replace it
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Something has happened - you don't gain a whole bunch of slack in a drive chain instantly. The chain has jumped a tooth or a tooth has been sheared off, or something... You need to really inspect the chain and all the sprocket teeth (front and back), a broken or off track chain can be deadly.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
Something has happened - you don't gain a whole bunch of slack in a drive chain instantly. The chain has jumped a tooth or a tooth has been sheared off, or something... You need to really inspect the chain and all the sprocket teeth (front and back), a broken or off track chain can be deadly.
My thoughts exactly. I am going to inspect everything after work and will let you guys know what I find out. If all the teeth look good and chain is same tension all the way around, should I just adjust it and keep an eye on it?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Ok so I checked all the sprocket teeth and they are all there and look in good shape (not much wear at all). I measured the play in the chain and it's right at 2 1/4. The markings on the chain adjusters are at high side of new(closer to replace) so I am going to tighten it to spec and cruise it around the neighbor hood to see how it sounds. I don't have access to a bike stand for a couple days though. Is it necessary to do it on front and back stands or is just the rear stand ok?

I am going to get new sprocket and chain set just can do it at this time. So I'm hoping to squeeze a little more life out of mine.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 01:15 AM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
How old is your chain?

A common problem I see with old chains is that they develop tight spots. Sometimes multiple. Even well maintained chains do eventually.

What happens is you'll measure your chain at a loose spot, then as you ride it gets overly tight. Or you measure your chain on a tight spot and you loosen it... and you know.

So yea, there you have it. When you measure your chain slack do it in multiple spots (spin your wheel a few times and meausre).

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

:)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 01:59 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post

LOL, make fun of people who want to learn, real classy. LOL

2011 CBR600RR 'X-Ray' Build Thread
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=294795

Co-President of Team46

"My bike is too fast for the track" Ubercool ZX-14R rider.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 02:10 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Wasn't making fun of him.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Ok so I adjust the chain to spec. There is a decent amount of tight/loose spots on the chain. So a new chain and sprocket kit is coming soon. I also lubed up the chain well and there is no more sound. And everything feels normal. I am going to baby it and cruise it till the season is over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page