03, revs jumping so low bike stalls. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03, revs jumping so low bike stalls.

Hey everyone, so my 03 600 is acting weird and I'm kinda stumped as to what is going on. The bike has a power commander and a full yosh rs5 system. The bike has always been well taken care of. Anyways the bike started to stutter when idiling after coming to a stop its like it rpms dropped so low the bike stalls. Its been doing it for the last couple days on every ride I take. Sometimes the bike seems fine though and then 20 min later it happens again. I gotta make sure to keep the revs up so the bike doeaent stall. I checked the battery and the connections were good and tight. Idk guys maybe I need to mess with the PC? I'm just not sure. I searched the forums and did not find anything really helpful. Sorry of the post seems scatter brained, I am at work and on a tight schedule right now. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Training Wheel Hero

is this happening in any gear? what is your idle at?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

My idle is sitting at 1.5 but it seems jumpy like it holds 1.5 then bounces up or down. Then I have the problem of when I'm down shifting and get to neutral or even leave it in first at a stop the rpms drop so low the bike stalls

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I was expecting more replys by now considering all the knowledgeable people on here:/
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:42 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ok, then, we'll start with some basic troubleshooting you should start with since it appears you've done very little so far. You've also given us very little information about the bike, maybe some more info like miles on it, anything else you've done in the past weeks, still on the same tank of gas since this started, has the bike been sitting, etc., anything that could help might get more interest.

To start:

- remove the PC and see if the issue goes away. Not uncommon for those to go bad and either lose their map, settings, calibration or simply fail. If you have a full Yosh and not a slip on only the bike will run somewhat poorly but should idle fine without the PC.

- are you up to date with maint? Poor idling can, in extreme cases, be a symptom of out of spec valves. They have to be way out to affect idling but it can happen. How about plugs, those newer or due for a change?

- does it run to redline fine? No troubles at a steady throttle or engine speed? No misfiring?

- when was the last time the air filter was changed or cleaned? Might be a trashed filter or an air box obstruction.

- is the tank clean and the gas good? Have you run a tank it so through since the problem started? If not siphon the old stuff out and put fresh in with some Seafoam to see if that helps. Fuel filter clean or new?

Personally I'm leaning towards a bad fuel pump but that's only a guess based on symptoms, the age of the bike and the fact they seem to be failing a lot around here.

Hope this starts you on the fix; if you don't have one yet, get a service manual and follow it for this issue as well. Very handy tool to have.

Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
Docwarden (08-19-2014), memaxnda600 (08-19-2014)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks mike. I was open-close at work yesterday so I just wanted to get the problem up here at the very least, here's some more info.

The bike just clocked 11k miles. I checked the battery and its clean/good. The PC is lighting up like normal but I'll check that when I get a chance. I'll also check the air filter.

I thought it might have been gas and I was already due for a fill-up so I did that. -No change

It does rev-up I'm not sure about redline but it seems it only struggles when rpms are low.

Thanks again mike I am gonna go over the things you have listed and see if I can get this figured out.

Last edited by memaxnda600; 08-19-2014 at 12:25 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

So I did a PC reset and made some corrections to the map but it did not solve the problem.

I checked connections and the terminals and they were fine.

When I get some free time I am going to check the air box and filter.

If someone has had this issue or something similar please chime in.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 09:03 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by memaxnda600 View Post
So I did a PC reset and made some corrections to the map but it did not solve the problem.

I checked connections and the terminals and they were fine.

When I get some free time I am going to check the air box and filter.

If someone has had this issue or something similar please chime in.
PC reset isn't the same as removing it, if it's bad the only way you'll know is by literally pulling all the connectors and running the bike without being in the circuit. Sorry, it sucks but that's why I clearly wrote to pull it. Not saying it's 100% the issue but your symptoms are not unlike those I've experienced with a bad PC unit.

I'd check plugs and compression as well as the things I wrote in my previous post. Hopefully someone else might have more help as well.

Mike
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Your previous post provided good feed back and I am in the middle of checking those things.I just wanted to update the post with what little I had already done and see if anyonethat had the same problem might say something you have not. Oh well until then I'm gonna slowly but surely check it all out.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks again Miweber and doc. I have fixed the issue:D

It took me well into the night with a buddy and some spud McKenzie's to finnaly get this figured out.

It ended up being the spark plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page