On/off throttle transition - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
On/off throttle transition

Hey there folks,

I don't post here much but I figured Id give it a shot. I have a 2007 600RR with 20k miles. I put two brothers exhaust on it when it was new since people wouldn't notice me otherwise. No other mods aside from that.

The issue occurs only during throttle on/off transitions, mostly at lower rpm (under 4.5k), usually when coming in/out of a corner/turn. It's very annoying since it upsets the bike.

I did some searching around on the forum/google and it seems people adjust the chain and replace the tps sensor and all that. The thing is I believe it has always been like this and for most part i lived with it. The RR was my first bike so I didn't know any better but over the years i got to ride other bikes (recently a new zx6r/848) and found that they were much smoother and made taking corners a lot more fun...

Has anyone ever resolved this issue? do you think putting the stock exhaust back on might fix this?

Any advice would be great, Thanks!
Tom

--
Tomek

2000 BMW M5 Stock
1997 BMW M3 Single turbo 723whp GT42R 1.01ar Tec3r 4"
2007 CBR600RR Pearl White Puig, flushmounts, integrated tail light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 12:35 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I can't quite decide if this is a genuine mechanical issue or rider error; you really need to ride a control 600RR to see if it's the way that this particular bike is. Throttle cables adjusted okay? No other hacks to the exhaust or fuel system?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

If you can point me to any possible rider error tips to look for that might be helpful.

The throttle cables have not been adjusted, it seems they do have a good amount of slack before the throttle opens, other then the exhaust the bike is stock.

--
Tomek

2000 BMW M5 Stock

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 01:04 AM
Moto GP Racer

The top adjuster can reign in a little slack so that there's less before the throttle catches but it doesn't sound like that's your problem. Do you just feel like it's abrupt?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:14 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,058 Times in 861 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Take up the slack in your cables. If they are loose you will jar the throttle open instead of opening it smoothly.

I can't even ride bikes with slack in the throttle. It drives me mental
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:39 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
Take up the slack in your cables. If they are loose you will jar the throttle open instead of opening it smoothly.

I can't even ride bikes with slack in the throttle. It drives me mental
I agree, I have no slack in my cables (just enough to prevent the revs rising at full steering lock) it is much better that way, you'll be forced to make more committed and smoother transitions.

My bike had the same setup when I bought it and on-throttle transitions at the rev range you specified were always abrupt, no matter how slow or smooth I tried to be. To clarify, you still need to work on your technique, almost everyone does, but getting a fuel management unit (PCV or Bazzaz) and a custom tune will make the biggest difference. The bike will become much more enjoyable to ride. The first time I tried riding with that setup I couldn't erase the smile off my face for the entire ride. There are cheaper options than a custom tune, which is the way I went and fully content with how bike responds.

2011 CBR600RR 'X-Ray' Build Thread
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=294795

Co-President of Team46

"My bike is too fast for the track" Ubercool ZX-14R rider.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 12:07 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
.....I had this same complaint on my 09....i was very careful with my technique,and all mechanicals where in correct adjustment

Dynarex OTF has a good solution to this. He makes it available to forum members.......find him.

almost 2 years ago i tried his solution to this lurch, and it WORKS good.

15K miles later- I really enjoy the throttle response i have now.

there are a couple of threads about this already OTF.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

It feels abrupt and totally in the wrong spot, I want to smoothly pull out of a corner by rolling on the throttle and instead of I get 3 jerks(in quick succession) and the balance of the bike is upset. High rpm is ok but I don't necessarily want to downshift to 8k+ out of every corner.

I used to think this was normal(I have had it like this for the last 20k miles...) until I started looking around into a new bike. All of them felt sooo much smoother out of the box.

Ill try to adjust the slack out of the cables and be as smooth as possible with the throttle and see what happens.

What's OTF, I tried to search but I get a bunch of random results. Could you point me to a particular thread?

Thanks for your help.

--
Tomek

2000 BMW M5 Stock
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Training Wheel Hero

My first 07 didn't do this, was silky smooth on/off throttle, so I wouldn't classify it as normal (completely stock).

However, my new 07 with PC3, exhaust and tune does this after a couple of years. Adjusting the throttle cables helped a little but still not enough.

Will be getting it tuned again over the winter, similar to you it only occurs at low RPM in the lets say 3k-5kish range then it goes away. I'm guessing it didn't get tuned well enough just above idle, so the jerky behavior is just a sign of needing better A/F mapping.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Moto GP Racer

That's some weird behavior... question, is your drive chain slack in spec? I could see a loose chain or rear axle not tightened down be contributing to a 'jerking' behavior as output shaft power would not be transferred cleanly to the rear tire.

Where do you live? Maybe there's another RR.net member who is close and you could directly compare bikes... also, have you thought about visiting a Honda dealer and test riding a new 600RR, just to see if there's any difference?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Moto GP Racer

I also wonder if the EGCV flapper is acting correctly in the exhaust.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:38 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
by "OTF" i believe he means "on the/this forum"

So he means the member by the name of Dynarex on the forum and there's a couple threads regarding your problem on the forum.

"From the land of Pleasant Living"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page