Need help, suppppeerr confused.... - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help, suppppeerr confused....

So I bought my 06 CBR600RR a couple weeks back, he said it had a bad stator, replaced it and it was good to go after that. I then went to change the oil, yes, I was that guy that put a hole in the oil cooler... I bought a new one and installed it. After doing that I put more coolant in the radiator and reserve tank to top it off and topped off my oil. The next day I went riding and the bike overheated, I was on the highway and it was like 90 in hawaii and sunny, the fan kicked on at 220 but the temp kept rising, i was able to get some speed for the air to go through the ducts but the temp kept rising until it hit 250, i turned it off and was able to get it home using the stop and wait for it to cool down below 200 method. After getting home and the bike cooling off i took off the radiator cap and there was white goo, when i topped off the coolant prior to, it was fine, now it has that stuff everywhere. I tried flushing it with water and vinegar and was able to get most of it out but there is still a lot, I don't know what caused that. The bike was fine before i replaced the oil cooler, then afterwards it was overheating and clogged my cooling system with that gunk. Any ideas as to what this could be and how to fix it? Attached is my radiator cap with all that gunk on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3119.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	137242  

2006 CBR600RR
-Yoshi Slip-on
-8K HID's
-Third eye delete
-Fender eliminator
-Carbon fiber seats
-Tinted windscreen
-Much more to come!

2013 CBR500R
-Custom full bike wrap
-Yoshimura exhaust
-Custom fender eliminator
-Vortex rearsets
-LED's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 07:13 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

That sir appears to be water and oil.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 07:21 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yup, oil and water are now mixing. Something is up with your oil cooler, was it used? Can you point me to your thread on putting a hole in it, maybe you got something mixed up in the install but I thought they were fairly straight forward. Might have missed a seal or put one in backwards though off hand I can't think if where the fluids come together in that area. The water pump area does usually as well, have you been in there?

But you are definitely mixing fluids and the cooler is the likely spot if all was good before. Time to get a service manual if you don't already have one.

Mike

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Training Wheel Hero

with the change of the oil cooler I would also have a guess at an o ring issue. you should also dump the oil out of the bike and check it for emulsification. once resolved get some cheap oil and run it through the bike with the bike at full temp and then dump it out and replace with clean.

likewise the cooling system will need a clean out.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I just got the service manual last night, and yes it was a used one, it was in really good condition looking at it though, and for the O ring, I felt it all the way around cleaned it, then relubed it, so maybe I will have to try to find another oil cooler. And for the water pump, I took that out last night to try to clean the gunk out of it, but that's it. And I have been going through and taking off every hose and connector and trying to clean them out, I think it got to my thermostat though, so I try running water through after new oil and everything to try to force it loose? Or should I go in there myself and fix it?

2006 CBR600RR
-Yoshi Slip-on
-8K HID's
-Third eye delete
-Fender eliminator
-Carbon fiber seats
-Tinted windscreen
-Much more to come!

2013 CBR500R
-Custom full bike wrap
-Yoshimura exhaust
-Vortex rearsets
-LED's
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozi View Post
with the change of the oil cooler I would also have a guess at an o ring issue. you should also dump the oil out of the bike and check it for emulsification. once resolved get some cheap oil and run it through the bike with the bike at full temp and then dump it out and replace with clean.

likewise the cooling system will need a clean out.
What do you mean by emulsification?

2006 CBR600RR
-Yoshi Slip-on
-8K HID's
-Third eye delete
-Fender eliminator
-Carbon fiber seats
-Tinted windscreen
-Much more to come!

2013 CBR500R
-Custom full bike wrap
-Yoshimura exhaust
-Vortex rearsets
-LED's
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

And what would be the best way to clean the system? Like I said, i have already been taking the hoses off and cleaning them individually but is there something i can put in the radiator and reserve and let it run and it will clean it?

2006 CBR600RR
-Yoshi Slip-on
-8K HID's
-Third eye delete
-Fender eliminator
-Carbon fiber seats
-Tinted windscreen
-Much more to come!

2013 CBR500R
-Custom full bike wrap
-Yoshimura exhaust
-Vortex rearsets
-LED's
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 07:33 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I'm thinking put it back together and get it working properly. Like said above use some cheap oil and flush it. I would probably do it twice on my bike. Then maybe again after some riding.

As for the cooling system. I know in cars or trucks you can put 1/4 or 1/2 cup of dish soap in there, get it up to operating temperature and then flush it. However, I'm not 100% sure it's fine to do on these bikes. I don't see why not. Someone chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Junkie View Post
I'm thinking put it back together and get it working properly. Like said above use some cheap oil and flush it. I would probably do it twice on my bike. Then maybe again after some riding.

As for the cooling system. I know in cars or trucks you can put 1/4 or 1/2 cup of dish soap in there, get it up to operating temperature and then flush it. However, I'm not 100% sure it's fine to do on these bikes. I don't see why not. Someone chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.
My oil is fine though, only the coolant is mixed, my sight gauge looks perfectly fine for the oil, and I have read about dish soap as well just didn't know if anyone else has heard of anything other than that.

2006 CBR600RR
-Yoshi Slip-on
-8K HID's
-Third eye delete
-Fender eliminator
-Carbon fiber seats
-Tinted windscreen
-Much more to come!

2013 CBR500R
-Custom full bike wrap
-Yoshimura exhaust
-Vortex rearsets
-LED's
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:12 AM
Training Wheel Hero

use bleach and water - at 50 50 mix. up to temp. leave to cool, drain and fill with coolant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page