Cannot shift. Shift fork, drum, gears? HELP!!! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cannot shift. Shift fork, drum, gears? FIXED.

Bike has around 23000 miles. Probably needs new plates but.....

I cant get it into any gear. Its actually hard to move the shifter up or down. You have to force it but it still doesn't go into any gear. Was heading home tonight and went up to 6th. I downshifted to 5th as normal but when I went to shift back into 6th, nothing happened. It was like I was already in 6th and had no more gears to go. So I tried to downshift and it let me. I rode it home thinking there was an obstruction but when I got home there wasn't.

Do I have a bent shift fork, need a new drum, or clutch assembly?

I did go down at the track on the left side but I have been riding on the street for a good month without issue.

Please help!

Last edited by blip; 08-29-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: issue corrected, changing title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 06:51 AM
World Superbike Racer

Reach above the countershaft sprocket on the left side of the bike to where the shift shaft that runs across the top of the transmission (it'll be a splined shaft that has your shift linkage mounted to it) and see if you can move the shaft in and out. Not the piece bolted to it but the shaft itself, see if it has in and out movement.

Any movement more than say 1/16" or a millimeter or two means you found your culprit, the shift shaft keeper which is a literally $2 part behind the clutch basket that has broken from the impact. If the bike no longer shifts try pulling the shaft all the way out (away from the bike) and see if it starts shifting again. Thing is the part is fragile and inexpensive but to get to it you need to pull the clutch cover and the entire clutch basket to get to it; not hard but time consuming and you need a few special tools to do it.

Hope this helps, if it's not this then make sure your linkage moves free, lubed and is straight. And also check your shift lever for trueness because it's not that uncommon for it to get bent and bind.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
blip (08-29-2014)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Mike, after searching I thought that might be the issue.

I have a manual somewhere but does anyone now the part number? What kind of tools will I need?

Thanks again. I will try the movement when I get a break from work.

Strange that it worked for so long after the lowside.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Is it here(1.) or is it the top linkage where you can adjust with the threaded c-clamp (2.)?

here?
http://www.ronayers.com/GEARSHIFT-DRUM-C186998.aspx

or connected to the top of the linkage here; labelled number 2?
http://www.ronayers.com/BRAKE-PEDAL-...L-C186977.aspx

Thanks again. Will check bike at 12.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 11:51 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
Is it here(1.) or is it the top linkage where you can adjust with the threaded c-clamp (2.)?

or connected to the top of the linkage here; labelled number 2?
http://www.ronayers.com/BRAKE-PEDAL-...L-C186977.aspx

Thanks again. Will check bike at 12.
The shaft that attaches to that part #2 in the above diagram; the other one is mostly internal.

The in and out play in it should be VERY minimal, like I said 1/16" at most; if it goes in 1/4'' or more that's your issue. What could have happened was the part got slightly cracked and just simply wore from use, once you see it all will make sense. Attached are the pics of mine, broken with less than 300 miles on the bike when the Vortex rearsets I was installing had an manufacturing defect that made me have to cut the arm off to remove the bad part. I put too much pressure inward and damaged the keeper.

Let me know if if that is it, thinking it might be, thought I had the most issues shifting between 3rd and 4th I think. I might have a write up somewhere on here.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0653 (480x640).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	137689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0654 (480x640).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	137697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0655 (480x640).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	137705  
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
blip (08-29-2014)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

FIXED Woohooooooooooo!!!

Best case scenario! After staring at the bottom linkage it seemed it was not moving. I loosened it further out and it shifty freely. So after staring more I noticed that the bottom Vortex linkage is flipped. I use GP shift full time and you can have the link rod on the left or right side and it works the same. After moving it to the right side and away from everything, it shifts cleanly.

Thanks for listening to me freak out for a half day!

I love my bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page