Grounding, Fuel Pump, Headlight, Ignition issues - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Grounding, Fuel Pump, Headlight, Ignition issues

05 600RR, PC3, Slip-on, Been laid down by previous owners and "Fixed"

Quick Background:

-Had the bike running all last week, ran fine, left on a trip this weekend so the bike was sitting for a couple days
-Came back from the trip, got the bike started and let it warm up before riding it
-Killed the engine after warming it up, left ignition on
-Came back 5 minutes later, tried starting the bike, gauge cluster was acting funny, headlights went off, bike acted like a dead battery
-Push started the bike, got it going, left it to idle
-While idling, the bike died again after about a minute
-Push started again and took it out riding to make sure it wasn't the battery, bike died again on the road, no power, no lights

Here is where I got to:

-Checked the yellow grounding box, had burn marks on it, moved it around and the bike came back to life! Lights came on, and gauge cluster lit up. I went to start the bike, heard a small "pop" and everything died again
-Cut off the grounding box and soldered all the ground wires together, still nothing

Here is what happens now:

-If you turn the ignition, the clock on the gauge cluster goes off and nothing electrical comes on (ground issue?)
-If you unplug the low beam, and have the kill switch off, the ignition will turn and the cluster will come on
-If you flip the kill switch with the ignition on the fuel relay clicks continuously and the cluster flashes on and off
-If you flip the brights with the ignition on and kill switch off the bike hums loudly and the cluster freezes up and dims
-Main fuse is good, as are all the fuses in the fuse box

I've read quite a lot of threads and everyone's issue seems to be solved with that yellow box, but It seems like something else is busted now. I still need to try running a ground from the battery to the negative terminal on the headlight. I also need to try cleaning out the kill switch, but I wanted to see if you awesome people had any ideas as to what I broke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Yellow grounding box?

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Got it fixed! For anyone who finds this thread later, here is what was going on:

Not sure if this happened before, during, or after the grounding issue, but the battery I was using went bad. It bloated up around the sides, would read as having 12.5 volts, but had no current flowing. After verifying that all the wiring was tidy, I was able to start the bike using jumper cables, but as soon as you removed the jumpers, the bike would die.

So make sure and verify that your battery is working properly! A multimeter is invaluable when troubleshooting this stuff.

Quote:
Yellow grounding box?
For reference, It is a small yellow box along the wiring harness on the left side of the bike. Remove the small black fairing piece and it will be taped to the frame near the rear of the main seat on the left side. Just cut it off the bike and solder all those wires together (We also made a small flange so it could be attached to the frame where the passenger peg bolts runs through.

Last edited by MonoxGas; 09-02-2014 at 04:27 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 06:08 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Left side of bike... stator side?

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 06:35 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get a service manual and check your charging system per the instructions in it, a multimeter (used properly) is invaluable when troubleshooting this stuff.

Post pictures of what you did as well, shouldn't be anything taped to the wiring harness and I'm hoping you didn't bypass something needed like the regulator. Been a while since I've worked on an older RR, though.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page