Bad idle on 09 CBR - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad idle on 09 CBR

I've got an interesting idle problem that developed a couple hundred miles ago. Basically, the bike will idle rough and the RPMs will bounce around between 1000 and 1500. Sometimes it isn't that bad and it only bounces around slightly. If they start to bounce around too much, the bike will stall itself out.

Now for the interesting part... If the bike is idling very rough and I turn my high beam off, the idle smooths out and its almost perfect. If the bike is idling only a little rough and I turn my high beam off, it idles perfectly. Also, if the idle is rough, I can flip the kill switch off and then start the bike back up and the issue is gone.

What in the world could this be? Before I found out about the high beam thing, I ran some fuel injector cleaner through it thinking it was bad fuel and it made no difference. The bike is an 09 CBR600RR with 2900 miles. I got it about 3-4 months ago with 900 miles and its been perfect up until now. The bike is 100% stock (well, except for brake pads lol).

Edit: Forgot to mention, it throws no codes.

Last edited by Onion; 09-04-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 01:36 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When and what was the last service done?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 02:33 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm willing to bet that's the battery dying out. I've noticed on bikes that the batteries dying or even loose connections can cause strange issues. Start with checking that the terminals are both tight then load test the battery and report back if the problem persists.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 02:36 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,058 Times in 861 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Get your battery tested. Chances are its done... So few miles on a 5 yr old bike would point in that direction. Decreasing load on it improving the symptoms suggests the same thing.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the help everyone. I ordered a new battery (gets here Monday evening). Symptoms are getting much worse much faster, hopefully the bike is still rideable Monday because I've got class lol.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well, this happened between the today and the last time I popped the seat off (about a week ago)... It even melted the plastic under the seat!

I'm gonna insulate it and keep riding.

http://puu.sh/boo6V/3db7c1ddd1.jpg

http://puu.sh/boo8N/d6b2c352de.jpg

http://puu.sh/booa7/a4855d2c57.jpg
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 10:25 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have you tested your charging system per the service manual? I'm tired of sounding like a broken record all the time, but it's looking to me like you have more issues than a bad battery. Terminals shouldn't melt, just saying.

Mike
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
Have you tested your charging system per the service manual? I'm tired of sounding like a broken record all the time, but it's looking to me like you have more issues than a bad battery. Terminals shouldn't melt, just saying.

Mike
I didn't test the charging system yet, but after seeing a melted terminal, I definitely will do it tomorrow morning. The first time I checked the battery a week ago, everything was snug and there was no indication of any issue. When I checked it again today, they were a bit loose so I tightened them up again. I sure hope its just because they were loose and maybe arced or sparked and not something major.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 09:59 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Weird that a bike with 1000 miles has an aftermarket battery with charging problems and new brakes. I suppose it could have been replaced after sitting for years.

Last edited by Moto_Junkie; 09-07-2014 at 10:02 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Junkie View Post
Weird that a bike with 1000 miles has an aftermarket battery with charging problems and new brakes. I suppose it could have been replaced after sitting for years.
I'm the one who did the brake pads. I wasn't very happy with the stock pads so I popped some EBC HH pads on there and I'm much happier with the initial bite.

Pouring with rain right now, I'll test the charging system once it clears up - hopefully soon.

The guy barely rode it so I think the battery may have died on him and he replaced it. I don't think he had any charging issues because I put 2000 miles on it before having any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page