Need help diagnosing engine ticking - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help diagnosing engine ticking

Hey guys! So I just bought an '05 600RR with just under 10k miles. I got a good deal on it because it's got a loud ticking coming from the engine. I'm hoping you guys can help me diagnose what exactly is causing the ticking. Here's a video where you can hear it:

It's a pretty loud ticking, and it increases with revs. It's not 100% consistent though. When it's idling, sometimes it won't tick at all for a minute. When it is ticking, there doesn't seem to be a discernible pattern to it (at least not that I noticed). The sound itself seems to be coming from the top right of the engine, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

From my research, there are a few things that I've read it could be: valves, CCT, connecting rod bearing, or exhaust leak.

I don't think it's an exhaust leak, because the pipes are in good shape and I blew some smoke around it and the smoke wasn't disturbed. I also don't think it's the connecting rod bearing, because it seems to be coming from the top of the engine (though I could be wrong).

That leaves valves or CCT. But, I was under the impression those went bad after a number of miles, while this only has 9.5k miles. The guy I bought it from said it was running fine, and then this sound suddenly started happening. He also said he thinks there may have been a small loss in power when the sound started happening.

So, I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice on what the problem is and how to fix it! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by TheSerialHobbyist; 09-08-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Training Wheel Hero

that sounds like a bad rod bearing to me
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97grnrs View Post
that sounds like a bad rod bearing to me
Thanks! But dang, that's like the worst thing it could be. However, I'm not so sure. It seems to only happen when I'm giving it gas. I took it for a ride around the block, and it speeds up while I'm giving it gas, but if I'm just coasting it is slows down again (similar to when it's idling). I would think that if it was a bad rod bearing, it would be consistent with engine speed (regardless of whether I'm giving it gas or not).

Edit: So I took it for another quick spin around the block to double check how it was acting. As I give it gas, the ticking/clicking increases with revs. As soon as I let off the gas and just coast, it quiets down quite a bit (but not completely). If I pull in the clutch while coasting, it goes away almost completely (though it may still be there faintly). Not sure if that helps to figure things out.

Last edited by TheSerialHobbyist; 09-08-2014 at 07:42 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So, after watching a ton of videos of spun bearings, I'm pretty sure you're right. That's pretty much what it sounds like :(.

So now I have to decide if it's worth it to try and replace the bearing, or if I should try and find a whole new engine. There are only a few engines on ebay, and most of them either don't list the mileage or relatively high mileages. Hopefully I can find one with low miles or with a decent price.

Has anyone had luck just replacing the bearing itself?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Training Wheel Hero

If you do that your gonna have to plasti gauge the crank and make sure rods are not out of round also. its alot more work than just buying the ebay engine , ive seen pretty many on ebay fs.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Honda-C...744126&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Honda-C...f7f339&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2006-Ho...79a577&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2006-HO...2e41dd&vxp=mtr

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks guys! I decided to just go ahead and purchase an engine. Got one off ebay for $800 shipped with 18k miles. Should have it in the next week, and hopefully I can do the swap next weekend. I also have a service manual ordered to cover the process.

What else do I need to order to do the swap (other than general tools)? Any special tools? Consumable parts? I know I'll need new exhaust gaskets, but is there anything else that will need to be replaced with the engine?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Training Wheel Hero

you can usually reuse ex gaskets. oil , coolant . etc.. make sure u have a warranty on motor. i bought an R1 motor from a supposed good seller last month and it had a tap since day one. it finally got so loud after only 40 miles i took the motor apart to find a very loose and improperly shimmed trans gear that was rattling like heck. the seller denied everything . i got screwed for 1400$. could have fought it and won but i parted ways with the r1 so screw it
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

They have good ratings, but doesn't have a warranty. But most of them didn't. Hopefully I don't get screwed like you did...

I'll definitely be replacing all of the fluids, no reason not to (it's not like they're that expensive). As far as I can tell, it's only the exhaust gaskets which are supposed to be replace, but I'll look and see if there are any others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page