Where is my coolant going? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Where is my coolant going?

So I low sided months ago had everything repaired (fixed it myself) and than took it to a shop to have them look over everything. They didn't find anything wrong besides a couple of loose clamps but no leaks or anything. But I kept always finding that my overflow resoivor was going empty. So I dropped it off at the shop and they topped it off but didn't see anything wrong, after a week of picking it up from the shop it was bone dry again yesterday.... I dont see white smoke coming out the exhaust, nor do I smell coolant burning and the performance of the bike seems perfectly fine. I also checked the oil pan to see if it was milky and it's not. WTH!!! Anyone ever had an issue like this? I'm getting tired of having to put coolant in all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are you sure your radiator is full? I'd continue to check for leaks somewhere if you know the system is full.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgswol View Post
Are you sure your radiator is full? I'd continue to check for leaks somewhere if you know the system is full.
I filled it up until it was overflowing out the top of the radiator. But I see what your saying if there is a leak somewhere of course the overflow bottle would go empty... Hm...

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You need to burp your cooling system before filling up the reservoir.

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

:)
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldn View Post
You need to burp your cooling system before filling up the reservoir.
Blip the throttle right? That's what I normally do but having to add coolant once a week is starting to really and I'm just getting tired of having do to this.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
you gotta let the thermostat open before putting the radiator cap back on... otherwise you aren't doing anything helpful to get rid of the trapped air

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 12:25 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,055 Times in 859 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Before you fill the rest, check the level in the rad. Do this with the bike on the side stand. If you top up the rad then fill the overflow you should be good. Chances are you didn't burp the system completely on your first go.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesx4911 View Post
Blip the throttle right? That's what I normally do but having to add coolant once a week is starting to really and I'm just getting tired of having do to this.

Let the bike warm up a bit. Blip the throttle a bit and tap/squeeze on all the hoses until you see no more air coming out. Top it off again.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
you gotta let the thermostat open before putting the radiator cap back on... otherwise you aren't doing anything helpful to get rid of the trapped air
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
Before you fill the rest, check the level in the rad. Do this with the bike on the side stand. If you top up the rad then fill the overflow you should be good. Chances are you didn't burp the system completely on your first go.
Okay I will give that a go, I believe the thermostat opens up at 170. So later today, I will get the bike warm, give it some blips and than keep filling it up until there are no bubbles and it's at the top. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Update: So that day I went home took the side fairing off and filled up the radiator and overflow. I blipped the throttle many of times watching bubbles come up and coolant go down. I continued to fill the radiator into it was hardly any bubbles. I went on a very spirited canyon run saturday and sunday. Checked the coolant and it seems not be pissing any. So I'm crossing my fingers!!!! However I had a weird issue today haha. On my way to work while cruising on the highway my bike stayed at 233* and this was in 6th gear at 7k rpm. That is hot to my normally riding temps. Normally I'm sitting at around 190 or even lower especially considering its much cooler in the mornings. And at that temp I can normally feel the heat on my legs and I felt nothing... Maybe my temp sensor is taking a ****? When I get home today I'm going to look at the levels of coolant again.... I'm paranoid lol
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

I wouldn't bother checking your coolant again.

Test your water temp sensor. It's on the side of the thermostat. The service manual has the resistance values in it. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Worst case scenario, buy a new one. They're $20 new from bikebandit.com

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Coolant overflow was dawn near empty again lol
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 09:38 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,055 Times in 859 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Dude. Either you are losing coolant, which is easy to diagnose with no fairings on and the bike idling. Or you have failed exceptionally at burping your system
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 12:31 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Dude. Either you are losing coolant, which is easy to diagnose with no fairings on and the bike idling. Or you have failed exceptionally at burping your system
This. I'd start with running the bike with all plastics off and check for leaks. Go get a pressure test kit and see if it holds up. In case you're unfamiliar, it's basically a rubber stopper you plug into the radiator fill neck and then you pump it up to put the system under pressure. If it holds then you're good. The high temps could mean there is air in the system too. Burp it again and make sure you're doing it correctly. There are how to write ups with pics all over the place. Google is your friend. Also make sure your radiator cap is holding pressure. A bad cap will cause temp issues.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 12:50 AM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

The other option is that your fluid is going into your exhaust through your cylinder head. Happens when you run your bike hot and blow your head gasket.

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 12:54 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
The other option is that your fluid is going into your exhaust through your cylinder head. Happens when you run your bike hot and blow your head gasket.
You would see quite a bit of white smoke as well, right? Considering he's losing it fairly quickly.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 01:36 AM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Not necessarily. All depends on what he's running. If it's just water, or a mix with water wetter it will come out as steam and may be close to colorless.

Also depends on how fast he's losing it.

post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Quote:
Well I know there are no leaks I have done just as you said ran the bike with no fairings. I took it to a shop they checked for leaks and found nothing. I blipped the throttle for close to 10 mins and pressed on the hoses like no tomorrow I highly dought there is air in the system.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 07:16 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did you repair the coolant tank/radiator at all or was it damaged in the lowside? Any chance that system is not hooked up right? The lower hose of the overflow tank should go up to a connection the neck of the radiator just under the cap and the upper hose should drain to the ground under the left side of the bike.

How long had you owned the bike before the crash? Just wondering if it's a problem that always existed you just never np knew about.

Anything else you can give us for info? What was all damaged and repaired in the crash? How's your oil level look/smell? Did you replace the water pump/clutch cover in the repair?

Mike
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
Did you repair the coolant tank/radiator at all or was it damaged in the lowside? Any chance that system is not hooked up right? The lower hose of the overflow tank should go up to a connection the neck of the radiator just under the cap and the upper hose should drain to the ground under the left side of the bike.

How long had you owned the bike before the crash? Just wondering if it's a problem that always existed you just never np knew about.

Anything else you can give us for info? What was all damaged and repaired in the crash? How's your oil level look/smell? Did you replace the water pump/clutch cover in the repair?

Mike
When I low sided I replaced the coolant tank because it had a slight crack in it and was leaking. It's a slight possibility the hoses could be swapped on the overflow tank. I owned the bike 9 months prior to the crash i had a slight leak from the radiator and I replaced it. During the crash it was all on the left side of the bike and almost all cosmetic. I replaced all the fairings, headlights and the hardline from the radiator to the thermostat it was slightly bent. I did not replace the water pump/clutch in the repair. My thing if it was leaking it would be very obvious as it would be getting over my bike and tires if I was riding. I'm going to drop it off at the shop soon and see what they say.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 01:31 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

If you're in SoCal you should bring it to my shop. We are located in Temecula. A.R. Motorsports. I can have it diagnosed for you in an hour or so.

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 01:31 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

We also don't charge for diagnostics, as long as we do the repairs.

post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Did I mention we are Factory certified for Honda (Suzuki too).

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Quote:
If you're in SoCal you should bring it to my shop. We are located in Temecula. A.R. Motorsports. I can have it diagnosed for you in an hour or so.
Damn 1 hr huh. I used to live in Temecula actually haha. I moved to garden grove though. I would but that 1 hr commute to get there is a
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Yea man. I know the pain. I do 1hr to work and back every day, and have for the last 2 years. Luckily I only have 3 more weeks of it before I can enjoy a 7min commute to work and back.

If you decide you want to bring it by, maybe this weekend, let me know and we can work something out. We even do pickups/drop-offs for the cost of gas, (if we do the work of course).

post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Training Wheel Hero

just to be clear, you have had the system pressurized for at least 30 minutes? and the radiator was replaced after the crash?
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyDuckie View Post
just to be clear, you have had the system pressurized for at least 30 minutes? and the radiator was replaced after the crash?
No the radiator was replaced before the crash. I thought for sure the radiator would of ate it but it looks perfectly fine, no bent finds or anything. And yes the system has been pressurized for way more than 30 mins.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Just to give you guys an update I figured out what was giving me hell lol. It was a leak that I have never seen before. So I figured I was up ****'s creek and decided to use the stop leak headgasket fix. I followed the instructions and let the bike sit for a whole 24 hrs after running it. I went for a ride and it seem'd fixed no leaks and coolant was still there. I wake up the next day and start the bike and it's leaking from the water pump area... Upon inspection I find that one of the hoses had seen better days it was torn and I took apart the water pump to find that the seal was fubared dry rotted out. So I'm going to go ahead and say that it was the water pump that was giving me hell but would only happen when I went Woot so I could never tell. But what gave it away was that the headgasket fix made the water leave a white resude and after the first ride I could see that my swing arm and that area was all white like someone just got happy on my bike haha. So ordered new crush washers and water pump gasket and going to give that a go. Sucks I had to go through this much hell to find this leak but I'm glad that I found this issue :-)
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Mike
Job well done so far that stuff you used is just like oil Dye used to find oil leaks works like a charm all the time

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Update:Got my new parts in Saturday, replaced the gasket inside of the waterpump and used all new bolts... Put water in to test and before even starting the bike water was coming out still... **** ordered a whole new waterpump. Someone told me that normally replacing the gasket wont fix that type of issue but tried to cheap out and do just the gasket. Figured what else could really like you know... So now I wait for parts again lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page