07 600RR lack of power down low - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
07 600RR lack of power down low

Hi everyone

im new. You probably read this question before but its bugging me a little. I have my bike booked in with a tuner on monday just to get everything checked over.

but when I accelerate in lower rpms it feels like it is taking a bit for the power to kick in. Im not sure if its because of my exhaust system or ?

I have ridden two others another 07 with a yoshi pipe and an 09 with an akropovic pipe. Mine has an sbk leo vince im assuming as it looks the same. But it doesn't accelerate like the others. Any info or tips would be awesome as I love the bike but I think there might be something wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 09:41 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Don't know first hand what goes wrong with after market pipes, but a nasty/unkept chain will suck power. Clean, lube, adjust, or replace if necessary and the bike will feel tidier at lower RPMs. Also check your air filter.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 12:00 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
We need more information on your bike before we can try to help. Model year, mileage, mods, what you've done to diagnose your problem to this point, etc.

I'm assuming you have a yoshi pipe being you said "another 07 with a yoshi pipe." Check your air filter. Replace it or clean it depending on if you have stock or aftermarket. When were the plugs replaced last? Run some seafoam cleaner or your preferred brand of fuel system cleaner through a couple tanks of gas. Having your bike tuned with something wrong isn't going to eliminate pre-existing problems unless it is solely related to the A/F ratio.

These bikes don't have a ton of power down-low, anything sub-6k is going to feel sluggish, but I'm guessing it is more than the normal amount of sluggish if you're asking.

'03 600 RR - ~33,000 miles (14,000 from me)
Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
We need more information on your bike before we can try to help. Model year, mileage, mods, what you've done to diagnose your problem to this point, etc.

I'm assuming you have a yoshi pipe being you said "another 07 with a yoshi pipe." Check your air filter. Replace it or clean it depending on if you have stock or aftermarket. When were the plugs replaced last? Run some seafoam cleaner or your preferred brand of fuel system cleaner through a couple tanks of gas. Having your bike tuned with something wrong isn't going to eliminate pre-existing problems unless it is solely related to the A/F ratio.

These bikes don't have a ton of power down-low, anything sub-6k is going to feel sluggish, but I'm guessing it is more than the normal amount of sluggish if you're asking.
Thanks for replying.

Bikes a 2007 cbr600rr

it has an sbk leo vince slip on with mid pipe

13,000kms so 8'000 miles

compared to the other two models with a twist of the throttle in second at about 4k rpms they feel really torquey compared to mine. Yeah I will give all of those things a check over but it had a major at 12,000kms. Plugs im not sure about. Just going to get a power run to check the power output and a/f ratio.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 02:24 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Model years the same between bikes? The 09+ will have more of a low-end grunt feel then the 07/08's do.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
Model years the same between bikes? The 09+ will have more of a low-end grunt feel then the 07/08's do.
Ok so the 09+ is different. But how come the other 07 I rode felt quicker down low.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 08:15 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewsterPunkk07RR View Post
Ok so the 09+ is different. But how come the other 07 I rode felt quicker down low.
There could be 100 different reasons why: gearing, tire wear, wheel bearings, chain and sprocket wear, air filter, PC or not, miles and wear on clutch, wear on engine, how the engine actually differ between wear wise, worn out spark plugs, etc. Sometimes lots of little things add up to make a bigger thing, especially in the chain and sprockets.

I could go on forever but "feel" is such a subjective thing that it's hard to pinpoint exactly what makes two bikes different. And as you can see there are a ton of variables and the bike must be identicle or you'll be chasing your tail especially if say your buddies bike is -1/+2 geared which is very common.

Here's my suggestion: start with the basics. Make sure your bike is in tip top mechanical shape and fully serviced. Plugs, air filter, oil, coolant, chain and sprockets not worn, clean, lubed, correctly adjusted, your clutch is adjusted and working correctly, valves checked if it's the time and your exhaust is mounted and functional with no holes or leaks. Make sure your tires are properly inflated and not worn out, have a shop (or do it yourself) verify your brakes are not dragging and your wheel bearings aren't worn out. If your bike sits outside a lot and has more than 25k on it I'd suggest spending the $100 and getting new wheel bearings installed; while they take a lot to "wear out" and are probably still good for quite a few more miles that's about the point I have started to feel them get a little sloppy and the bike feels so much tighter after.

Then see where you're at. If you still feel like it's not quite right take your bike and your buddies to a dyno run night somewhere and have them dynoed right after each and see how they stack up. They may not be as different as you think.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
BrewsterPunkk07RR (09-26-2014)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
There could be 100 different reasons why: gearing, tire wear, wheel bearings, chain and sprocket wear, air filter, PC or not, miles and wear on clutch, wear on engine, how the engine actually differ between wear wise, worn out spark plugs, etc. Sometimes lots of little things add up to make a bigger thing, especially in the chain and sprockets.

I could go on forever but "feel" is such a subjective thing that it's hard to pinpoint exactly what makes two bikes different. And as you can see there are a ton of variables and the bike must be identicle or you'll be chasing your tail especially if say your buddies bike is -1/+2 geared which is very common.

Here's my suggestion: start with the basics. Make sure your bike is in tip top mechanical shape and fully serviced. Plugs, air filter, oil, coolant, chain and sprockets not worn, clean, lubed, correctly adjusted, your clutch is adjusted and working correctly, valves checked if it's the time and your exhaust is mounted and functional with no holes or leaks. Make sure your tires are properly inflated and not worn out, have a shop (or do it yourself) verify your brakes are not dragging and your wheel bearings aren't worn out. If your bike sits outside a lot and has more than 25k on it I'd suggest spending the $100 and getting new wheel bearings installed; while they take a lot to "wear out" and are probably still good for quite a few more miles that's about the point I have started to feel them get a little sloppy and the bike feels so much tighter after.

Then see where you're at. If you still feel like it's not quite right take your bike and your buddies to a dyno run night somewhere and have them dynoed right after each and see how they stack up. They may not be as different as you think.

Mike
thanks mike. I will go over all of those things asap just to be on the safe side. But I was only thinking that the exhaust on my bike might have alot more flow/ less restriction so its more towards the top end. I havnt had either bikes past 8k rpms. Only time and parts will tell. But thanks for the help to start on.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Just an update:

Dyno'd powers fine

just lack of back pressure for the low end which makes it that little sluggish due to the pipe. Also test rode my father inlaws 09 with baffle/ silencer removed in the akropovic exhaust and similar low end power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page