Help appriciated. Head gasket? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help appriciated. Head gasket?

I was at BTO a few weeks back, and on the way home, I guess I pushed my bike a bit too hard. A HUGE puff of smoke came out of my exhaust (riders behind me said they couldnt see anything, not even my brakelights.), and my bike started to lose power. Stopped on the side, took off the side fairing, and lo and behold, my oil was lower than it should have been. (Preventative maintenance, I know.) Bike wouldnt turn over and was hot hot after first, so we let it cool down. Had someone ride and get oil, and when he got back, it was sufficiently cool. Put some oil in, and coolant for good measure, and it started right up. Every second, and when I revved, there was smoke. White if I remember correctly. My oil cap smells like gasoline. Bike runs, even revs, so nothing is welded or too cooked (I think.) But then we saw the oil puddle on the ground. Here is where I get lost. Ill post pictures of where it was leaking from, and can provide a video of what it looks like at idle.

Looking to do a rebuild if possible, does anyone have an diagnostics or advice? Greatly appriciated. I've done a few head gaskets on cars, which is primarily what I wrench on when needed. Havent done any extensive bike work.

Thank you in advance!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1411697573336.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	139882   Click image for larger version

Name:	1411697585715.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	139890  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1411699659875.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	139897  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 11:46 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
more info how many miles. valves and all general maintenance done on time? coolant, oil

what year looks like 07+ where exactly is the oil coming from clean it with kerosene and find where its coming from

2007 Cbr600rr Black

[SIZE=1]Tripage IT and Plate Bracket, TST Turn Signals, GB Case Covers, Captive Rear Spacers, Driven 520 -1 +2 steel sprocket kit, Spiegler Steel Brake Lines, Front Fork Revalve, Stomp Grips, Speedodrd, Dunlop Q3's, HRC Rear Brake Res, Woocraft Frame sliders, Shorty levers, 90 Degree Valve Stems, EK 520 Black/Gold Chain, Tekarbon Chain Guard, Engine Swap, Brembo RCS, Evotech Front Brake Res, SBS Sintered Race pads, Healtech Quick Shifter, Vortex Rearsets, and Trackdays!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 11:48 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
are you still driving it? Iif so how many miles? has it ever been repaired or put down before

2007 Cbr600rr Black

[SIZE=1]Tripage IT and Plate Bracket, TST Turn Signals, GB Case Covers, Captive Rear Spacers, Driven 520 -1 +2 steel sprocket kit, Spiegler Steel Brake Lines, Front Fork Revalve, Stomp Grips, Speedodrd, Dunlop Q3's, HRC Rear Brake Res, Woocraft Frame sliders, Shorty levers, 90 Degree Valve Stems, EK 520 Black/Gold Chain, Tekarbon Chain Guard, Engine Swap, Brembo RCS, Evotech Front Brake Res, SBS Sintered Race pads, Healtech Quick Shifter, Vortex Rearsets, and Trackdays!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mran556 View Post
more info how many miles. valves and all general maintenance done on time? coolant, oil

what year looks like 07+ where exactly is the oil coming from clean it with kerosene and find where its coming from
16k miles, and when should they have been done? I've had her for three years, by only put around 2000 miles. This year, I put the majority of this on actually. Bought it and didnt have any time to ride, and summers in washington are short. Coolant had a little in when f airings were off, and oil was changed less than 1000 ago, so I assumed it was good. I was wrong, when we chexked on the side of the road, oil was very low. But no leaks on the pavement all year long.
2004 is the year. And will do, ill pick up some kerosene t omorrow. It looks like its coming right where the exhaust meets the headers, as the header pipes have no oil on thrm, but the pipes where the exhaust meets does.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
are you still driving it? Iif so how many miles? has it ever been repaired or put down before
I am not driving it. It leaked a quart of oil in less than three mins haha. I trailered it home. And it was put down by the previous owner in a parking lot. I've pushed it harder before, and nothing like this or even close happened. As far as I know, not repaired, because nothing major happened to her

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 10:10 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
are you blowing oil from inside the motor?

looks like the oil leak point is out of the header /midpipe connection.......
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 11:33 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
you should pull the headers and see if there filled with oil its super easy to do. i think its a 10 or 12mm.. 8 of them and one bolt that goes into the frame..

cracked block or blowing ring come to mind

2007 Cbr600rr Black

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
are you blowing oil from inside the motor?

looks like the oil leak point is out of the header /midpipe connection.......
Im honestly not sure where im blowing it from.
And yeh, what would that indicate? Like I said, mostly a car guy haha..

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
you should pull the headers and see if there filled with oil its super easy to do. i think its a 10 or 12mm.. 8 of them and one bolt that goes into the frame..

cracked block or blowing ring come to mind
Hey will do! Thank you sir!
Any insight on how easy either of those are, or of it IS a cracked block, should I just look for another engine?

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 12:20 PM
Moto GP Racer

lost a ring.....
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Leak down test, chemical tk test, compression test

CBR600RR 2009 Black/Grey
520 -1/+3 Chain Conversion & SpeedoDRD
Yoshimura FS RS5
PCV + Autotune
K&N Airfilter & Oil Filter
Pair Block Offs
O2 Eliminator & Servo Eliminator
Manual Cam Chain Tensioner
Spiegler Front & Rear Braided Lines
HM Superlite QS
Tripage FE & Adjustable Tag
Watsen Flush Mounts
LED Flasher Relay
Tyga Carbon Fiber Front & Rear fender, Chain Guard
ZG Double Bubble
Ride Core

The Following User Says Thank You to AJ26 For This Useful Post:
Ldn (09-29-2014)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 09:24 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/no-...nes-and-drives

Oil leak test

No Sweat METHOD OF LEAK DETECTION FOR MOTORCYCLE ENGINES AND DRIVES

Spray deodorant lends itself to an inexpensive and easy way to track down fluid leaks on motorcycle (and other) engines, transmissions, and drive units.

Troubled by embarrassing wetness? Unlike personal hygiene issues, which are easily rectified, chasing down an oil leak, whether it be from the engine, transmission or rear drive, can be a real hassle. Vibration, heat and airflow tend to smear the oil all over the place, which complicates finding the source of the leak, especially if it's a relatively small one.

Professional wrenches have access to leak detection kits that use dye and a black light to pinpoint the gusher, but those aren't something the average Joe generally has floating around in his medicine cabinet.
On the other hand, aerosol deodorants usually are, particularly if Joe is well groomed, and in a pinch they make a very passable leak detector.
Here's the drill.
1. Wash away the oil slick.
2. Take the bike for a ride, making sure it gets good and warm.
3. Spray the suspected area of the leak with a powder-type deodorant (my personal favorite is Arrid Extra Dry).
The deodorant will leave a chalky white, easily removed coating on the surface, with the outline of the oil track clearly revealed. A little detective work should lead you right to the spring. The only trick is to make sure you use a powder-type spray; the clear stuff won't work, and obviously neither will a roll-on! Not only will your bike lose that embarrassing wetness, it'll smell fresh as a daisy.

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Last edited by Moeman; 09-28-2014 at 09:41 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Havent had time to work on her because life has taken a turn for the busier haha. Thank you all so much, and ill keep this updated as I work!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Moto GP Racer

That's a good tip there Moe.. I like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page