Please help oil was overfilled - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New need help! Oil overfilled

purchased 2003 CBR 600rr from a friend took it for a ride for the first time down the highway noticed a lot of smoke billowing from the tailpipe immediately pulled over and the bike shut off I brought it home and upon further inspection noticed that there was oil all over the bottom fairings and underneath the rear faring. I drain the oil and it appeared to be about 5 or 6 quarts or more. I then put 1qt in and started it... There's smoke everywhere and then it stalls. Where should I begin to troubleshoot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Please help oil was overfilled

2003 Cbr 600RR took bike for a ride for the first time down the highway noticed a lot of smoke billowing from the tailpipe immediately pulled over and the bike shut off I brought it home and upon further inspection noticed that there was oil all over the bottom fairings and underneath the rear faring coming out exhaust I drained the oil and it appeared to be about 5 or 6 quarts or more. I then put 1qt in and started it... There's smoke everywhere and then it stalls. Where should I begin to troubleshoot?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 02:31 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Oil capacity for an 03 is only 3.1 quarts with oil and filter change. If you had that much oil in your bike then it isn't surprising that it is coming out somewhere. Also running your bike with only 1 quart of oil is really bad idea. It needs oil to lubricate the cylinders and without the minimum, you're just doing damage.

I would just go ahead and do a proper oil change with filter. Sorry, but your friend doesn't seem to know what he is doing if there is that much oil in it. If there is still a leak after that, you can begin trouble shooting. Just make sure you clean up everything before hand.

'03 600 RR - ~33,000 miles (14,000 from me)
Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts
The Following User Says Thank You to G Money For This Useful Post:
Red322 (09-27-2014)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for reply...I'm not riding it afraid to damage it more than what has already taken place. Just wanted to see if it would start up. After draining 24 hrs have passed with no leaks
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 03:24 PM
05/16 BOTM Winner / Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You should probably replace the spark plugs. Your cylinders were sucking in oil, problably thru the crankcase, which fouled the plugs and made the engine cut out. Hopefully they didnt suck in enough oil to hydrolock the engine and bend a rod. Thats worst case scenario of course but is possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to teetopps For This Useful Post:
Red322 (09-27-2014)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 04:12 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hard to say without more info. I would take the fairings off, and clean every square inch of the bike. Then fill the oil properly. Click below.

http://bit.ly/1voNuco

It's possible that it's in the air box too, but let's try the easy stuff first.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheX For This Useful Post:
Red322 (09-28-2014)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Bit of friendly advice....

Edit your intro thread to simply being an intro.

You'll def receive good info from this forum to help you out.

You'll also receive a bit of flaming for having two threads on the same topic.

Back on topic...

I agree with others that you should strip the fairings and clean them completely.

Proper oil change and spark plugs. The plugs are a bit of a challenge but cheap insurance.

While youre in there, its easy enough to pull the air box open and clean out any oil that may have found its way up.

Let it sit for a while (24hrs?) with the drain plug out so any oil in the cylinders can drain.

I would run some seafoam through the fuel to clean the injectors. Again, cheap insurance.

Looking forward to the post in your intro thread saying she's squared away and you're enjoying the open road.

GL bud.

Tasha
Phatty
Super Sic

FOR SALE

05/06 OEM Body Parts (Red/Black) Price Drophttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=468281
Track Day/ Race Gearhttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=470449
Leupold 1" Unimounthttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.p...66#post6155866
The Following User Says Thank You to Bullast For This Useful Post:
Red322 (09-28-2014)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Moto GP Racer

We should combine this with the thread in troubleshooting.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm a pretty lady!!!

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
We should combine this with the thread in troubleshooting.
That is an excellent idea young chap! :D

As for op, gmoney and teetopps are spot on with their advice. Cherrio young chaps!!

2012 Suzuki GSX-R1000

2W1R elCapitan

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try!"
Alexander the Great

"You can go to hell, I'm going to TEXAS!!" Davy Crockett

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

Happy Catholic

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 11:30 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I doubt extra oil would do anything bad. It will probably make a mess of the airbox area. I've overfilled it once before, but it was not a lot.

How much extra oil are we talking about? If there was so much that there was blue smoke out of the exhaust then there could be some damage. If it's some other colour, then it can't be oil burn. That's not to say there are several issues including overfilled oil.

Check the head gasket for leaks, the oil drain plug, the oil filter area, see where the leaks are coming from.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 02:54 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red322 View Post
2003 Cbr 600RR took bike for a ride for the first time down the highway noticed a lot of smoke billowing from the tailpipe immediately pulled over and the bike shut off I brought it home and upon further inspection noticed that there was oil all over the bottom fairings and underneath the rear faring coming out exhaust I drained the oil and it appeared to be about 5 or 6 quarts or more. I then put 1qt in and started it... There's smoke everywhere and then it stalls. Where should I begin to troubleshoot?
Why would you only put 1 qt back in and then start the bike? Please tell me you didn't run your bike with 1 qt of oil in it for a long time! Fill it up to the correct level and then go from there. I strongly suggest you order or find a service manual for your bike somewhere and begin to familiarize yourself with the contents of it.

Do a proper oil/filter change and clean it up and then re-evaluate your situation with less variables.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Sorry for the multiple postings I was in a panic and not till after I posted did I see the other threads. I put a qt in after I drained it just to see if it would start then immediately shut it down..I was concerned that the motor was blown. Since I degreased it and let it sit I noticed oil dripping from the crank case. I have a service manual and have been familiarizing myself with the information I will attempt the plugs and air box again the only leak I see is coming from the crank case. Again sorry for double post and thank you for all your help
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Moto GP Racer

Did you just buy this bike?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Yes...he said he just changed the oil and when I originally looked at it the bike there were no leaks but like I said I drained way more than 3 quarts
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

My bike had so much oil in the air box and the filter was soaked with oil I cleaned it out and put new filter in...the bike runs but seems to have oil coming out exhaust pipe it's up under rear fairing and it smokes when I give it throttle...not sure where to go from here
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Moto GP Racer

It almost sounds like someone did it on purpose. Did you pull the plugs?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 04:12 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Unless you cleaned out the inside of your exhaust pipe, you'll just have to deal with it smoking for a little while. The oil has to burn off.

Also, did you check to see how much coolant is in your radiator?

'03 600 RR - ~33,000 miles (14,000 from me)
Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts
The Following User Says Thank You to G Money For This Useful Post:
Red322 (10-01-2014)
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Plugs were fine, under the bottom of air box along the back of the head gasket seems to have oil around it but only directly under where the oil was dripping from air box..I'm not entirely sure but if you blow a gasket would oil be all around the gasket or only in one specific area?
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Resivoir tank for coolant was filled to upper line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page