First start after wreck and problems - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First start after wreck and problems

I wrecked a while back and my bike ended up upside down in a ditch where it stayed for about 30 minutes while i waited for help. I took off all the damged plastics and replaced the missing relays on the wiring harness that were broken. This morning I charged the battery and fired her up. It started fine but oil shot out of the exhaust. It wasn't just a couple of drops, it was a significant amount of oil. I inspected the all of the exhaust piping and it is leaking oil where the pipe crosses under the crankcase. Is it possible that when it flipped over during the wreck that oil somehow got into the exhaust system? By the way the oil is milky in color so it does have water in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 03:06 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
this happened to my 01 R6 when i crashed. i was told to just let it run, eventually all the smoke/oil stopped.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 03:19 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

When the bike rolled, oil seeped around the rings and sat in your combustion chambers. Your lucky u didn't hydro lock ur motor and bend rods, crank, break pistons, crush wrist pins, bearings, journals etc ... you should always get all the oil outta the cylinders before you try and crank it when it sits on its side or up side down for more than a minute at the most. The oil is being pushed out through your exhuast system just how exhaust fumes are forced out when running. Im not sure why it looks milky unless you damaged the motor more than you thought and broke the seal on the head gasket lettin coolant into your cylinders and mixing with the oil ... The oil and blue smoke (which im guessing you see too) should go away after a few minutes of running the motor, i've seen it take up to 30 minutes. When all the smoke and oil clears check your oil veiw window to make sure you're not getting coolant in the oil because that is no bueno!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

I looked at the oil pretty closely and i am pretty sure it was water that was mixed in. Do I need to take apart the exhaust and try to let the oli drain out of it? I am a little worried about damaging the engine if I just let it run.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 05:11 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

The burning of the oil isnt damaging to the motor other than possibly fouling the plugs. If you really want you can try and drain the oil from the headers, midpipe and can. While you're at it, you might as well crack the air box to make sure you dont have a pool of oil sitting in there and the air filter isn't all saturated w/ oil as well.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I can't wait to get this thing back together so I can start riding again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page