How to locate specific short? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How to locate specific short?

So far I've used a circuit tester through my headlight and turn signal wires to discover two wires that are dead at the initial connection spot (the first connector off the switch). I've located one of the wires to run all the way back to the tail light which looks like a direct line. The other wire I'm unsure of. I came around to searching for a short because I recently blew my master fuse. After replacing that, my 10A headlight/indicator fuse blew. I replaced the master fuse next to the battery, as well as the 10A fuse and the 10A fuse continues to blow, so I began to test each cable through the headlight/indicator switch. So now that I've located the potential shorted wire, do I just splice it at each end and solder a new wire onto it? Tape it against the harness? I figure that's what I would do next, but I'm also unsure of how to determine exactly what kind of electrical wire to run. Any help would be a benefit. I can upload pictures upon request!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

You don't have to drag knee to go fast around a track!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 07:04 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chopping and bypassing would be the easiest course to take if the wire you think is shorted is tucked or snaked through the frame. As far as sizing the new wire, you'd have to know which circuit it's from and what kind of current to expect. From what I've seen on my bike, most of the wires are in the 16-20 gauge if they're not part of the battery/charging system. Find a wiring diagram and make sure no other systems are using that wire for anything else too. For ease, grab a chunk of the wire you're going to replace and just get a similar one at any auto parts store or radio shack. Get some heat shrink and solder away~

Last edited by Lyoha; 10-19-2014 at 07:07 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoha View Post
Chopping and bypassing would be the easiest course to take if the wire you think is shorted is tucked or snaked through the frame. As far as sizing the new wire, you'd have to know which circuit it's from and what kind of current to expect. From what I've seen on my bike, most of the wires are in the 16-20 gauge if they're not part of the battery/charging system. Find a wiring diagram and make sure no other systems are using that wire for anything else too. For ease, grab a chunk of the wire you're going to replace and just get a similar one at any auto parts store or radio shack. Get some heat shrink and solder away~

I'm no electrician by any means but this is what I figured. I guess I could look at the wiring schematic to see if it's a direct wire. Don't wanna do all this work only to find out something else now doesn't work because I hard wired a line that was actually connected to something else through the frame.

I hate electronics!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

You don't have to drag knee to go fast around a track!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page