Rear axle stuck bad. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Rear axle stuck bad.

I was just trying to remove my rear wheel, axle nut off, chain off, chain adjuster blocks not even touching the tensioner bolts, brake caliper off, and I can't get the damn axle through. I put a 2"X4" block of wood on the end of the axle and tried to hammer it through for about 15 min. before I gave up, also tried a little WD-40 on there. Anyone else had this problem, what was your solution? I think I need a bigger hammer.....

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 09:31 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are holding up the wheel when your removing the axle?

If your not holding the wheel, Your pinching the axle against wheel.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyRR
Are holding up the wheel when your removing the axle?

If your not holding the wheel, Your pinching the axle against wheel.
I shoved a block of wood underneath the rear tire thinking the same thing, I couldn't hold the wood and the hammer I was hitting the axle with at the same time as well as support the tire. Maybe I was jamming it too far the other way..?? I dunno, I had the wheel off before without a problem, I'm thinking the axle has some corrosion on there and it's seized up a little bit.

Eric

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:29 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

i say get a buddy and have them hold the wheel up and have them move it (wiggle around) a lil bit when sliding the axle through.. seems like i do it that way every time
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippinRR
i say get a buddy and have them hold the wheel up and have them move it (wiggle around) a lil bit when sliding the axle through.. seems like i do it that way every time
Yeah, I'm gonna give that a shot tomorrow, along with a bigger hammer I'll borrow from work ; )

Eric
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 03:33 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i think it's pretty rusted.

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 07:17 AM

Axle Stuck.

Hey mate i'm new to this but i had an 04rr and on the first tyre change the rear spindle was stuck as you say. Had to hammer it out! Just picked up an 06rr 1st march. took it straight home on the paddock stand spindle out. Dry as a bone. It's honda i think skimping on a dab of grease. the bastards.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This is a good lesson for everyone, espescially those of us who ride in the rain. My advice to take get it out is bolt everything back together and take it for a good long ride. Then come back and try tearing it apart again. Once you get the axle out, lightly sand off the rust with some fine grit sandpaper and rub it down with some bearing grease. If you have to hammer it out make sure you leave the nut threaded on the axle so you don't damage the threads or the axle.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Well I just got back in from beating the piss out of my axle with a 3lb. dead-blow hammer, I got a friend to wiggle the rim as much as possible while hitting it and the axle didn't budge at all. I can't figure out WTF is up because my bike hardly ever gets wet, I rarely ride in the rain and when I wash it I ride it afterwards. I don't see how what little corrosion could possibly be on there could stand up to the WD-40 and the wrath of hammer blows I was giving it. I'm gonna try NewRedRiders idea next, does anyone else have any suggestions before I phuck this thing up?

Eric
The Following User Says Thank You to Black05rr For This Useful Post:
Raj24v (06-14-2014)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Lay the bike on it's side and spray the piss out of the axle with Liquid Wrench. Let it sit for 1 minute and then tap on the axle with the hammer. Do this a couple of times and then see if you can get it out. Maybe you can free it that way. Does the axle turn with the wheel? If so try holding the axle with a wrench and turn the wheel. Are you sure the axle isn't hitting anything on the other side like the rear stand? You are driving the axle out the left side right? I have to ask at this because the only time I had a axle sieze up this bad was on my old YZ80 when a friend landed in the shallow end of the pond. If it's siezed that bad you need to repack the wheel bearings.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

The wheel is turning independently from the axle and the wheel bearings feel great from what I can tell, no side/side - up down slop and the wheel turns freely. I'm using a spool stand that is clear of the axle, and hitting from the right side out to the left (clutch lever side). The axle either has to be seized or somehow scored onto the inner bearing races or the spacers, this one has me stumped. The next step is going to be a damn sawzall to the axle.

Eric
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Well I tried some more today without any luck, I've done everything above as well as rigged up a puller with a long 1/2" threaded rod that I used an impact gun on and the damn thing just laughed at me. Has anyone ever had a bent axle or one seized up this bad to the point where it wouldn't come out? I honestly believe I am either going to have to cut the axle on each side of the rim, or take the whole swingarm off and bring it to a shop where it can be pressed out, I'm worried that the latter is going to **** up my swingarm.

Eric
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Man that sucks. I've never heard anything like that. I can't think of anything that would hold the axle in like that other than rust. Has the axle moved left at all? If so, drive it back in and make sure the rear brake bracket isn't binding the axle.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

The rear brake bracket will wiggle back & forth independent from the axle as much as the slop will allow while the wheel is still installed. The axle hasn't moved at ALL, I can't friggen believe how bad that thing is stuck. I have an '05 and the left side doesn't have a hex nut machined on the axle like the 03-04's do, it's got a square flange that sits inside the chain adjuster block, I can see the square flange move back & forth within the slop of the adjuster block too. The axle has to be rusted to the inner bearing races or somehow warped inside the wheel. I don't get how a bike with 5000 miles can be this bad when it has never been wrecked, or hit any major potholes etc. Hopefully I will be able to remove the swingarm with the wheel still in place, and I'm gonna go have that bitch pressed out. Wish me luck.

Eric
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Have you talked to your local dealer and asked them if they have ever seen anything like this? This is still under warranty isn't it?

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider
Have you talked to your local dealer and asked them if they have ever seen anything like this? This is still under warranty isn't it?
No, it's one month out of warranty as I didn't get the extended plan, I can garuntee the dealer wouldn't be able to do any more than I have up to this point either though. My Dad gave me an idea on Wednesday morning that I think will work, however with the family situtation right now the bike is on the back burner. It was one of the last conversations I had with him.

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=48248

Eric
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Well pops had a way of figuring things out, I made a custom punch out of stainless steel on the lathe at work today like he suggested. I made it to where it would fit snug on the inside diameter of the axle, with a head on one end the same size as the diameter of the axle nut. A couple whacks with a 5lb. sledgehammer and that bitch is finally out! Come to find out there was moisture stuck inside the wheel and the wheel bearings were rusted to the axle as I thought. After inspection of all components all I will need to replace are the wheel bearings, and polish up the axle on the lathe with a scotcbrite pad, and make sure that mother is greased to hell next time. The spacers, brake caliper bracket, and sprocket carrier bearing are all fine so I think I got lucky.

Thanks for trying to help NRR.

Eric
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 08:17 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
i bet you dad was having a big smile on his face as he was watching
over you doing such a great job

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeman
i bet you dad was having a big smile on his face as he was watching
over you doing such a great job
Hehe, yeah he was a cool dude. We were in the same line of work but he had quite a few years experience on me, he'd always figure out a way to make things work.

Eric
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Great to hear you got it man! And it sounds like you'll be out and riding in no time at all.

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Knee Dragger

You don't need to make a custom punch to get the axle out. And the rear axles on Hondas seem to be consistently tight... I have removed the rear wheel on both my 600RR and a friend's RC51. It helps alot to have a phone book or support beneath the wheel to prevent its from hindering the removal process. There won't be much grease on it because the tolerance with the spacers inside the wheel are relatively tight and would skim any grease off (for the most part) you put on. I always use a rubber mallet and a medium sized center punch. I tap in a cross pattern around the axle while being careful not to make any contact with the threads. You cold also use an appropriately sized wooden dowel to accomplish this task. The axle appears to be made out of a hard stainless steel so it is not effected or marred by this procedure.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 07:05 PM
07 TRACK SLAG!

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
i found the best thing for getting it out is and old handle bar/clip-on, it fits perfect
Paul
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 09:34 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Hold the wheel nuetral and spin the axle as you tap the right side with a weighted rubber mallet. You'll need three hands or a friend to help. If you can't get it off find a mechanic that knows what he's doing. Next time clean and greasy the axle. Hope you didn't pop your bearing with whatever you've been doing. There is nothing mechanical on the bike that should ever need to be forced.

Jay Holland
Low Down Racing - center garage #6
LRRS / CCS / WERA # 949
Team Bridgestone
Underground Supercycle

Anyone can finance a sportbike, very few will ever be riders.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Guys, You can pull the axle by yourself without a hammer or mallet. Get a 5-gallon bucket or a small stool and sit behind the rear tire. Put both feet under the tire and use your toes to hold the tire up while you use your hands to slide the axle out. nuton is right. The tolerances are tight so don't slab on a bunch of grease. You just want to lightly coat the entire axle when you get ready to reinstall.

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Old thread, I already got the axle out a couple months ago. I run a machine shop, and also repair industrial valves that have been subjected to severe service for a living so I know about parts being stuck together. This bitch was in there bad, I tried everything mentioned here before I posted up with my problem, and eventually I ended up making a big drift/punch out of stainless and using a big sledge hammer and I still had to beat the crap out of it to get it loose. The wheel bearings were were seized onto the axle from lack of grease. I had to replace the bearings and polish up the axle and all is fine now.

I'm sure 90% of the other ideas posted here would work in normal situations though.

Eric

Last edited by Black05rr; 08-04-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page