Bike won't start - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bike won't start

Alright I have a 2003 CBR600rr and having a lot of problems with it. it has 26K miles. The bike will start at first after I've charged it but then I'll go for a short ride and when I come to a stop it just dies and won't start back up.
Put new battery in and it started right up then died again. Tested the battery voltage then jumped the bike with my portable jumper. Battery was at 12.5v then I drove it home and tested battery and it was at 13.5v so it is charging. Something must be draining my battery really quickly can't figure out how it could drain so quickly though. I've had a lot of problems leading up to this where the bike would die at stop lights. Idle's at 1400rpm then all the sudden dies out with no warning.I was thinking it might be the ignition coils but I tested those and they were all at 13.3-13.8. I've read a lot of threads where peoples bikes die at stop lights but it seems like it could be almost anything. It does seem to die quicker if the temperature is higher so I'm thinking it could be electrical but then again it dies out quickly when the engine is cool. I'm not a very mechanically savvy person but don't have the money to take it to a mechanic (charged me $200 to drill out an old bolt that snapped on my water pump). My bike is my only means of getting around and it sucks having to jump it at every stop light.
Also when bike is at idle it reads 14v and when it's revved to 4000rpm it's still at 14v.
Update: checked fuel lines and fuel pump today both were good. check all circuit breakers and wiring and it all seemed good. started up and idled fine. took it on a ride and of course it died at a stop light. tried to jump it with my portable jumper and negative side started smoking and starter fuse i think is fried. had to bump start it to get it home. Anyone have any help?

Last edited by colby; 10-25-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

When it idled i bumped the gas tanked a bit and the bike quit too.

Last edited by colby; 10-25-2014 at 08:35 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

checked the tilt sensor it was connected well

Last edited by colby; 10-25-2014 at 08:38 PM. Reason: bc i dont know how to delete

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Just for an update the power commander 3 malfunctioned. Installed a Power commander V and it works again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page