04 CBR600RR High Temps - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 CBR600RR High Temps

I have an 04 600RR with 38k miles. It's been running extremely hot. It will climb to 200F on the freeway while cruising at 70-75mph. The outside temp is COLD, like 55F. I've flushed the system and checked the thermostat by placing my thermostat in 180F water. It opens up with no problem and is wide open at 190F. My bike gets so hot in traffic that my fan is always on 100% and today, my battery voltage fell so much that my engine cut out on me and it barely had enough juice to restart. There is no crud/build up in my cooling system. It's almost squeeky clean. Slightly bad head gasket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 01:34 AM
Moto GP Racer

Or you could be running dangerously lean.

1971 Volkswagen 1302 (02.19.2015 - )

For Sale:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/153-07-13-rr...0rr-c-abs.html
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 08:13 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrkat28 View Post
Or you could be running dangerously lean.
^^^Highly doubtful. You'd have to be running so lean the bike would be pretty much unrideable for those temps and situations.

More than likely your water pump is bad. Drain the cooling system fully, open the cover and check it out by trying to spin the impellers without the engine running, if memory serves the shaft shouldn't turn by hand as it should be attached to a gear. It also shouldn't pull out.

Get a service manual to go over testing and replacement, see an online parts shop for the best price on parts.

If that's not the issue are you for sure bleeding the system when replacing the coolant? A large air pocket as well can cause those symptoms. Again, service manual is your friend here. Check out your radiator cap as well.

If you are losing coolant and/or seeing white, sweet smelling smoke out the tailpipe I'd start looking towards a headgasket. Do a pressure test to check that out if that's where you get to.

Let us know how you come out.

Mike

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I have a service manual and I will troubleshoot further. I plan to check the impeller tonight. I'm also going to run a hydrocarbon/block leakage tester via the radiator neck tonight and see if any exhaust gases are being introduced into the cooling system. I'll keep you all updated.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Update

The problem has taken a new form.

This is what I have done since last time:

-Block test. There is no combustion leakage into the cooling system, meaning that the head gasket is out of the question.

-Replaced the thermostat and gasket for preventative purposes

-Bled the air out of the cooling system

-Coolant Temp sensor works with no issues

Now my bike runs great on the highway. It averages at around 180-190F on the freeway. However, I let my bike idle in a stand still (5-7 mins) to check the condition of the fan switch. The fan kicks on at 220F, but the temp keeps rising while the fan is on at full blast. 221, 222, 223..229!!! Fearing that my temps would continue to rise, I rode around the block for 5 mins and my temp lowered to 210. It seems like at idle, the heat is not dissipating well enough even with the fan. The fan should kick on at 220F and the temps should lower, but that is not the case. After examining the radiator, there is a fat dent on the bottom far left of the radiator where the fan sits.... Could that be causing my problem?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:13 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How is the water pump physically? Like I mentioned earlier it sounds like your impeller is not moving the coolant through the system which is why air flow through the radiator cools the fluid but in sitting it heats up.

I'm still voting WP but be sure the fan spins freely also. If you drain the coolant in the radiator and coolant flows from the upper to the lower its fine, they can take quite a beating and still work as designed.

Unfortunately if you did all the work above without checking out the waterpump you'll have to do 50% of it again to check its operation. Still sounds like your culprit.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page