Replaced Crankcase cover, Now won't start! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replaced Crankcase cover, Now won't start!

I replaced my right crankcase cover. Didn't have any problems removing it or taking off the ignition pulse generator and replacing it onto the new cover. The one thing that did happen is. . .the drive shaft and gear for my starter clutch fell out. It didn't look like a big deal so I just put it back in (there's a hole that the post slides into and the gears need to mesh, that's all.) But now, when I push the ignition, the starter relay clicks (sometimes once, sometimes continuously) and the tach and display cut out for a second and that's it. It won't start. But I pushed it down the street and bumped it and it ran great. But when I shut it off, same ****, it wouldn't start again. I'm wondering if that gear needs to be oriented a specific way for the ignition timing to be right or if I have some other completely different problem. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 05:32 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Could it be that your battery has gone flat while the bike's been apart. I'd expect it to still turn over but not fire if there was a problem with the ignition pick-up.

Solenoid clicking is a typical symptom and dash flickering too when you push the button.

Plus it runs fine when you bumped it. Wouldn't make any difference if it was pick-up related.

EDIT thinking on, if battery is Ok you may have got something wrong with the starter gear causing it to jam up when you try to start it, and overloading the battery. Don't know an easy way to check this apart from removing the cover and taking a look inside again.

Last edited by troy45; 05-15-2006 at 05:38 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 06:31 PM

The shaft for your starter falling out doesn't sound too good. I remember reading in the manual that the clicking is not only a symptom of a low battery but that the starter gear might be jamming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page