Cant' seal my damn Sator cover. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cant' seal my damn Sator cover.

I have tried 3 times now trying to seal the cover and its still has a small leak. On the 3rd attempt I used Hondabond HT but it still leaks ever so slightly.

Here are my steps:

I made sure all the surfaces were clean and Hondabond was on the mating surface of the cover.

It had ample Hondabond coverage and should have been more then enough to seal it.

I made sure all the bold holes were surrounded with the Hondabond.

I even tilted the bike away from the stator cover sider when I jacked up the bike on the rear stand, thinking the oil was preventing the Hondabond from curing properly.

I tightened the bolts just enought so some Hondabond was being squeezed out, then let it sit for about 3 hours. No leaks because the bike was tilted away from that side.

I then tightened the bolts to spec and then let it sit for about another 3 hours or so, still while the bike was on the rear stand tilted away from the stator side.

I go take it for a ride and it seems to be ok, but if I let is sit for a couple of hours it still leaks a little.

I did my 3rd attempt with Hondabond on on Sat. - does it realy take 3 days for Hondabond to cure, I think that is what the instructions say? What is eveyone experience with resealing any of the case covers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 06:42 PM

why did you remove the cover in the first place? accident? maybe there is a crack? or something is warped? If you painted it did you get paint on the mating surface?. I replaced mine after a accident with a new one and i had no leaks...good luck
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

I lowsided and it broke so I replaced it with one I got from a guy who replaced his with an aftermarket one on his race bike.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 05:58 AM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
You need to tighten it down all the way the first time, not just snug... I think the bond is curing and then you tighten it to spec and it leaves a gap..

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 08:25 PM

or theres a crack in the engine case..

Also, are you sure that its actually leaking from the cover, and not somewhere else..

Also, is it leaking from the wire harness to the stator? you should put some HondaBond around the rubber seal where it goes in the cover, and on the engine side..
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 08:31 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Please post the procedure you follow to reinstall your stator cover. Then we can comment and hopefully help you out.

-John Monteverde-
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:07 PM

Ya instead of tightening it and waiting 3 hours then tightening it again, tighten it really really tight the 1st time
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 03:31 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by caboarder2001
Ya instead of tightening it and waiting 3 hours then tightening it again, tighten it really really tight the 1st time
There is nothing "really tight" about it. The tourque spec on those bolts is only 9-11 lb-ft IIRC. Too tight, and you will sheer a bolt.

As for the leak, my money is on a cracked case. I have seen it happen to a couple of 600RR's, including mine. Try and clean up the whole area, and then trace the leak after you run the motor for a while.

Chadd 03 600RR

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 03:48 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 56 reviews
alright...heres my thoughts....
it might be cracked like the others ^^ said.
or....
have you ever worked on a car...like take of the head of the eng??
there is like a specific bolt tightening pattern to seal the head to the
gasket to the top of the eng. or an even easier example...tightening the lugs
of a wheel on a car or truck.... star pattern method.
well try that on your cover. dont tighten in a circle from left to right
or vice versa. doin that will cause it tighten to one side better than
the other side. tighten/torque it like a star pattern or zig zag across from each
other. youll get a better seal like that.
one other thing...how did the cover come off?? did you use a flathead,
chisel or something to lodge between the cover and eng to pry it out?? if so...you
might have damaged that portion. you may not even notice it. but may
be enough to not give an equal seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbylitenin View Post
I wanna learn from the master king dingaling
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 12:53 PM

Im a dealer tech, and i usually just go around in a circle, rather than cross-pattern..
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuclan99
There is nothing "really tight" about it. The tourque spec on those bolts is only 9-11 lb-ft IIRC. Too tight, and you will sheer a bolt.

As for the leak, my money is on a cracked case. I have seen it happen to a couple of 600RR's, including mine. Try and clean up the whole area, and then trace the leak after you run the motor for a while.
A big 10/4 on that!

But this is what I did, I cleaned the mating surface with a rag (no oil whatsoever) and applied the Honda Bond on both the cover and the case. I stuck it on, and as you tighten the bolts (I went with the cross pattern) you should see a little bit of the Honda Bond spew out just like the OG bond.

I was good to go in less than 30 minutes for me.

Also, make sure there aren't any chips or cracks on the cover/case.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

"tighten" - how tight is "tighten"?

I looked for the torque spec and there isn't one in the manual for the right or left case cover bolts. I think I might be over tightening them, which might be causing all the sealent to be squeezed out, but you would think that if there was a gap the sealent would stay in there? I don't want then to be too loose or else it might not be sealing right or they my come loose (highly doubt it with blue locktite).

Last edited by beung; 05-23-2006 at 01:06 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by beung
"tighten" - how tight is "tighten"?

I looked for the torque spec and there isn't one in the manual for the right or left case cover bolts. I think I might be over tightening them, which might be causing all the sealent to be squeezed out, but you would think that if there was a gap the sealent would stay in there? I don't want then to be too loose or else it might not be sealing right or they my come loose (highly doubt it with blue locktite).
Look in the front of the SM and they have a section for torque specs.. Its 9ft-lbs goes by the size of the bolt..

I torqued the covers down before the rtv setup on mine.. I just went to autozone and got some permatex ultra black and did a cris-cross pattern...

Matthew
03' 600rr - Track
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

And do they make Torque Wrenches that go that low - the lowest wrench I have seen is 10 lbs, I guess 10 lbs should be ok if it calls for 9 lbs?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by beung
And do they make Torque Wrenches that go that low - the lowest wrench I have seen is 10 lbs, I guess 10 lbs should be ok if it calls for 9 lbs?
9 lbs of torque is equivalent to "tighten by feel".
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 09:25 PM

i have the same problem man, i low sided and now it leaks too, i had a small hair line fracture in my block i used some JB weld and its super super slow leak now but still u notice the little drop on the pavement after a while and my white sidi boots get kidan messy to, nothin i can do about it unless i want to new block but thats $$$ so i deal with it, not enough leaks to worry about so its just one of those things , now its liek riding a harley lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page