Trouble locating the flasher relay for a 2006 model - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trouble locating the flasher relay for a 2006 model

Now, before someone goes and says "it's in your instrument cluster and you can't remove it", hear me out.

I have been looking at the parts diagrams from various countries and have noticed this in the sub-harness diagram for pretty much all of Europe and Australia.

See that section where I pointed to with the blue arrow? When I look up the description for that, it says it's the indicator relay.

That does not exist in the parts diagram that I looked up from US websites, here is the same diagram from Partzilla:

It may very well be in the instrument cluster, but it seems unlikely that kind of mechanical relay would be built in there, and why?

I used a UK, Greece, Australian and Dutch parts website diagram to confirm, and I'm seeing the same part listed, it's called:

RELAY COMP., WINKER (DENSO) -- 38301-MBW-D21 -- which appears to be the same part used for the relay on 2007+ models, but the location of that is is near the battery, I don't think mine is there for the 2006 model, I looked there.

Here is what CMSNL gives, it's Dutch:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:31 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Link
http://oemparts.chaparral-racing.com...56/sub-harness

Last edited by venomenon83; 02-10-2015 at 05:36 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

This is kind of my point dude...that's a US site you linked me to.

Your model does not have it.

It appears the European and Australian models do. I first thought the Australian parts diagram was a mistake, but for the Greek, Dutch and UK one's to be a mistake too?

I can't find where this is, maybe it's hidden somewhere near the headlight?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:51 AM
BOTM Winner 02/15

You will have to splice into your sub harness to add an flasher relay. My Dutch 2004 CBR600RR didn't came stock with one either. I had to splice into the sub harness to add a LED flasher relay.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyntax View Post
You will have to splice into your sub harness to add an flasher relay. My Dutch 2004 CBR600RR didn't came stock with one either. I had to splice into the sub harness to add a LED flasher relay.
What flasher relay do you have and do your hazard lights work properly? I've seen that tutorial on Youtube and it's 2 pin. Also, I don't think the 2004's had hazard lights, correct me if I'm wrong.

Supposedly I need 4 pins to get it to work properly on mine, or I'll have weird hazards.

Last edited by RothmansRR; 02-10-2015 at 06:16 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

If someone has a Haynes manual, could you please look into the electrical section and post a full picture of this diagram for me:

I got this picture from here:

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=114102&page=2

I want to see where those flasher relay wires go. Judging by the positioning of those components, they all appear to be on the LHS of the bike, but the flasher relay is not connected in the same way the turn signals, clutch switch, etc. is, so it's somewhere else.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 08:26 AM
BOTM Winner 02/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RothmansRR View Post
What flasher relay do you have and do your hazard lights work properly? I've seen that tutorial on Youtube and it's 2 pin. Also, I don't think the 2004's had hazard lights, correct me if I'm wrong.

Supposedly I need 4 pins to get it to work properly on mine, or I'll have weird hazards.
My 2004 model does not have Hazards, I wish it did though. I use a 3 pin universal (Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda) LED flasher relay but I just use 2 pins. I think you will need a 4 pin Relay indeed if you have hazards.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Why don't you just use resistors for your blinkers instead of changing the rele?

The rele change is easy and fast... Only if you can have access to it...

Honda CBR600RR 2003 - Gone! (the blond)

Honda CBR600RR 2007 - On the road! (the brunette)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Alright guys, I located the bastard, it's in-between the two headlights. It's on the same bracket as what I assume is the headlight relay? Two wires (green/white and grey) as is indicated in that colour wire diagram I posted earlier.

Which makes sense now as that parts diagram show it close to the instrument cluster connector.

I called up two dealerships here in Sydney, they all gave me various answers. The guy in the parts shop told me he knew where exactly it was.

Me : "Great!! Where?"

Him : "Under the seat"

...Um, no it's not there mate, I said I have a 2006 model.

So after a few calls to various dealerships, I was told near the fuse box, near the cylinder head, under the pillion seat, and one mechanic told me after looking in the service manual that it was integrated into the instrument cluster on the PCB. That's when I thought game over, he clarified that he has the Australian service manual as that's what Australia gets.

I thought I'd try one more place, a spare parts shop in Adelaide, South Australia. The guy said he would look it up in the "service manual" -- so I expected the worst.

Instead, he said...ah here it is, turn signal relay...it's between your headlights. He insisted that it was clearly indicated as turn signal relay in the middle of two rubber-grommets. That was good enough for me to start tearing everything apart at the front.

So I changed the relay, and hopefully this works! If not, I won't be too pleased as I can't remember how these things go back together and I also slightly scratched my front fairing trying to get that third eye light cover out. Bastard was stuck.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:32 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Up to this point what's the reason of you asking beside trying to identify lol now can I ask you what are you trying to do with it? I mean, did your blinkers went out our are you having a "solid" blink led common problem? What are you trying to do with this relay roth?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomenon83 View Post
Up to this point what's the reason of you asking beside trying to identify lol now can I ask you what are you trying to do with it? I mean, did your blinkers went out our are you having a "solid" blink led common problem? What are you trying to do with this relay roth?
Haha, I just wanted to correct my flash rate. I do have load resistors which I've used before with different flushmounts. I'm also aware of being able to correct it by splicing the pins in the blue connector.

But...I ordered a flash relay earlier which was confirmed to replace the OEM part on my bike, same model number in the parts diagram...I didn't look to closely, the diagram said the relay existed, so it was fine. When I got around to installing it I'm realising that the diagram doesn't specifically say where exactly it is, so I go hunting online, and people saying it's in the instrument cluster including people from Europe which I believe is probably from reading threads on American models.

So I look at the diagram again, it's clearly marked! Unless Honda managed to screw up or it was an earlier revision which was later changed. It just became a quest to find it.

Yes, before everyone goes around saying use resistors, do this, do that. I'm aware of the other methods and I've used it before, but I just wanted to find this damn thing. Honda said it exists, and it does. Just not on the US bikes. I suspect anything that came out of the factory with HISS would have this flasher relay.

Now...my problem is that the aftermarket flasher doesn't work. FML. I double-checked, the relay indeed controls the indicators. When I remove the OEM relay, the signals don't work, the headlights are fine. When I put back the OEM relay the signals work. The aftermarket one is wrong...

Tune in for part 2 as I struggle to put things back together and end up wrecking the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page