03 cbr 5800 miles when bought - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 cbr 5800 miles when bought

I just bought a 03 cbr with 5800 miles from a dealership about 4 days ago. Btw the bike is flawless looks brand new so Im a happy buyer even though I ran into a problem anyways here we go,

So first off, their ad on craigslist said new tires/battery. Bike was priced at 3800. I got it for 3500. When I got there they said it had new everything. fuel pump, spark plugs, engine ice, oil change. They cleaned the injectors as well. now my problem is not knowing if they are telling the truth. I bought the bike tax free and they floated me the title and I made my own bill of sell.

Anyways My bike drives perfectly fine expect wot when im trying to bang through the gears. Now if I give it like 80% throttle I can bang out the gears just fine, Its the second I full throttle it, it doesn't want to go pass 10k rpms.

Other then that the bike drives fine and since ive bought it bike has 6150 miles on it now.

Now I ran my own fuel injector in the bike, it did seem to run better because at first it was about 8k I wouldn't be able to pass, and I also did see some floating crap in the gas tank, it settled at the bottom of the tank I have no idea what it was, but when i noticed it I started to run fuel injector cleaner.

So any tips and ideas any thoughts? Im reading on this forum and it looks like fuel pump and im really hoping its not, Im pretty handy working on cars, but Ive never worked on a bike before and im not ready for a project just yet.

Last edited by StiRR87; 02-10-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 08:12 AM
Knee Dragger

My buddies Suzuki had issues ain't pass a certain rpm. We just took the carbs out cleaned and changed the Jets and it ran better. Now it always leaks gas after he rides.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBeeRR View Post
My buddies Suzuki had issues ain't pass a certain rpm. We just took the carbs out cleaned and changed the Jets and it ran better. Now it always leaks gas after he rides.
Im thinking it may be a fuel issue as well I Just want to make sure.

Does it sound like it could be a spark issue as well? what if they are the original spark plugs?? that's 12 year old spark plugs? Could it be a air issue?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Sounds like you may have junk/rust in your fuel tank, and it has probably clogged the fuel strainer or maybe the internal filter.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBeeArr600 View Post
Sounds like you may have junk/rust in your fuel tank, and it has probably clogged the fuel strainer or maybe the internal filter.
I did have junk in the gas tank, i didnt see rust. After the first sea foam treatment I no longer see the junk in the fuel tank.

I just looked through the hole with a flash light but it looks pretty clean now. I cant see the strainer or the fuel filter obviously but what do you think keep using seafoam and see what happens?

and also the floaters in my gas tank dont read right, I ran out of gas when it said I had 4 bars left. Maybe from the junk that was in the gas tank and the floaters are stuck?

Last edited by StiRR87; 02-10-2015 at 10:05 AM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 12:58 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would burn through all that gas, pull the tank and inspect. You got a sweet deal it sounds, but it also sounds like the bike sat, sat, and sat some more based on the age and miles. If the tank wasn't full to the brim with gas + a stabilizer, then it's going to cause rust. If this is the case, it'll take a bit of work but it'll be worth it for you. Clean out the interior of the tank the best you can, then reseal it with the proper treatment (there's many options out there). Then, check/replace fuel filter/pump as necessary. This will also give you a chance to diagnose the fuel gauge issue you're experiencing.
The Following User Says Thank You to graffitiRR08 For This Useful Post:
StiRR87 (02-10-2015)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 01:00 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
The RR is not a carbeurated engine. But as for your buddy, I can almost guarantee you didn't set the float heights correctly OR replace the bowl gaskets/clean the mating surface properly between the bowls and carb bodies.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffitiRR08 View Post
I would burn through all that gas, pull the tank and inspect. You got a sweet deal it sounds, but it also sounds like the bike sat, sat, and sat some more based on the age and miles. If the tank wasn't full to the brim with gas + a stabilizer, then it's going to cause rust. If this is the case, it'll take a bit of work but it'll be worth it for you. Clean out the interior of the tank the best you can, then reseal it with the proper treatment (there's many options out there). Then, check/replace fuel filter/pump as necessary. This will also give you a chance to diagnose the fuel gauge issue you're experiencing.
Thought you had to replace the whole system just to replace the filter?

So are you telling me you think my issue is gas related? I hear my pump prime when i turn the key It seems to be running good
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 02:26 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02cbr05subaru View Post

So are you telling me you think my issue is gas related? I hear my pump prime when i turn the key It seems to be running good

Nope, I think your issue is rust related.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Nope, I think your issue is rust related.

ok thanks, ill see what other people say as well I want to leave this topic open. But i definitely do think you could be right. However looking inside the gas tank it does look fairly clean but of course you can only see so much looking at it from the top. I wont have time to dig into her with my hands until end of February. Sucks to because this is driving me nuts.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Knee Dragger

With the tank off, it gives you a good opportunity to give the air filter a once over as well.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
With the tank off, it gives you a good opportunity to give the air filter a once over as well.
True that is there a safety throttle position on my bike??

So im on my way home just now from work, From 1st to 2 gear, i hit i believe about 88 mph. Bike felt fine, bike felt fast, but then again for that next gear I made sure the throttle was as far back as it would go and it bogged like it was just slow as hell.

Then also in 1st gear I made sure the throttle was all the way back, and it was bouncing off 10k like a rev limited. In higher gears it just gets slow and kind of stays at 10k. But with about 80 to 90% throttle the bike hauls ass just fine am i tripping or is somthing wrong??
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02cbr05subaru View Post
I do believe the fuel filter is internal to the fuel pump. But you should have no problem cleaning the strainer. Pumps are not to expensive either, $1-200 new and cheaper used.

My bike was a lot like yours. I bought it last year with not even 2,000 miles. I was lucky though, no rust in the tank. Mine did still have the original tires, but was modded to hell with everything I wanted. Lol. Guy I bought it from was a lawyer that never rode it, and had a Can-Am Spyder with just as many miles.

Also, no there is not a safety throttle position. I am with graffiti, I think you may have rust in the strainer that is blocking the flow of fuel at times causing it to "bog" down.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well im confused though why im able to bang through my gears when im about 80-90% throttle. Why would it only do it when im giving that extra 10-20% throttle?

I'll try and find a write up on how to clean the strainer guess ill try that and see what happens.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Click image for larger version

Name:	2484182_Screenshot_2015-02-10-16-50-00.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	147881

Name:	2521109_Screenshot_2015-02-10-16-51-03.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	147889

Name:	2678450_Screenshot_2015-02-10-16-50-26.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	147897

Name:	2752849_Screenshot_2015-02-10-16-50-15.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	147905

here is some pictures of the gas tank if that helps I take it the strainers is below the fuel pump?

also when looking with a flash light I really didnt see rust, but using my camera phone it guess some rust does appear to be there?

Last edited by StiRR87; 02-10-2015 at 05:21 PM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Quote:
The RR is not a carbeurated engine. But as for your buddy, I can almost guarantee you didn't set the float heights correctly OR replace the bowl gaskets/clean the mating surface properly between the bowls and carb bodies.
What you mean? The 03 cbr has carbs. Doesn't it? Idk I really want to help my buddy out to fix why it's leaking gas out the peacock or however you spell it. And the dip stick smells like gas as well
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
What you mean? The 03 cbr has carbs. Doesn't it? Idk I really want to help my buddy out to fix why it's leaking gas out the peacock or however you spell it. And the dip stick smells like gas as well
No, the 2003 CBR600RR is fuel injected engine.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:53 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
if you see gunk/muddy stuff floating around inside the gas tank, chances are it also exist in your fuel line and before you know it it might clog the injector/s (It could be partial or whole). If I were you I'd disassemble the fuel pump from the gas tank and give a therral inspection to the gas tank and fuel pump. And if you're brave enough, send your injectors out to get it clean (or buy used ones on ebay). Now, I'm not a mechanic or anything but my bike was sitting to a point that it was gunky inside and I went ahead and replace the gas tank and fuel pump.

Base on your description, it all look like mechanical issue and not electrical so my bet goes for the gas tank, fuel pump and injector/s
The Following User Says Thank You to venomenon83 For This Useful Post:
StiRR87 (02-10-2015)
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:38 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Your buddy needs a fuel petcock rebuild kit. Please make your own thread or post on a Suzuki forum for more assistance.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 07:45 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomenon83 View Post
if you see gunk/muddy stuff floating around inside the gas tank, chances are it also exist in your fuel line and before you know it it might clog the injector/s (It could be partial or whole). If I were you I'd disassemble the fuel pump from the gas tank and give a therral inspection to the gas tank and fuel pump. And if you're brave enough, send your injectors out to get it clean (or buy used ones on ebay). Now, I'm not a mechanic or anything but my bike was sitting to a point that it was gunky inside and I went ahead and replace the gas tank and fuel pump.

Base on your description, it all look like mechanical issue and not electrical so my bet goes for the gas tank, fuel pump and injector/s
How long have you had the bike out in so trave to cause rust? Didn't Honda just started coating the tanks?
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Ok so ive noticed about the last 3 times ive open the gas cap, the o ring around the key holes is covered in gas not horrible but it still has gas all over it.

I assume i could be loosing fuel pressure and that could be a cause any ideas on that theory?

2003 cbr red/black
2005 subaru sti 400whp 376 wtq

psn: ur2ez2k8

Go seahawksssss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page