'05 oil leak - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'05 oil leak

So I recently picked this 2005 600rr up and I noticed Saturday when I was cleaning it up that there was a small oil puddle on the ground directly under the oil pan. My first instinct was oil pan gasket. Fast forward to today I went back to my storage unit (live in a condo) and I put oil in it and fired it up until it warmed up. Looked under it and started to investigate..

Found the leak above the oil pain on the left side. Wiped it clean and watched it leak. It's about 3" above the oil pain gasket and almost directly behind the thermo housing. My question is what seal/gasket is this?!

Edit: I have a pic on my phone if anyone needs a little clarity as to the location.

Last edited by darkside13; 03-12-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 05:19 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Look up a parts fiche. Cheapcycleparts.com hondaeasttoledo.com, etc.

Edit: Also, just noticed you're a Kentuckian as well. Howdy.

'03 600 RR - ~33,000 miles (14,000 from me)
Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 06:26 PM
Knee Dragger

I have an oil leak around my oil pan too. I'll hop in rather than start another thread. OP- lets see a pic. I don't know of any seals behind the thermostat and above the oil pan. Maybe your stator cover?

My leak appears to be around the oil pan and around my oil cooler - no oil above it really. I went ahead and tried to degrease as best I could (what a PITA) - any tips for doing this? Took some serious elbow grease lol. Anyway, I'm going to put some baby powder around my oil pan and see where it shows up. Let me know what you guys think. I do not believe the clutch cover or stator cover is leaking so are there any other places I should check? Valve cover gasket is brand new - no leaks there.

Here is looking into the stator side of the bike: PIC of oil cooler and pan gasket:

Another view of the pan from the same side:

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

As you can see right above the oil pan bolt is where it is coming from. I circled where it is starting pool up after I wiped it clean when I noticed where it was coming from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leak.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	150449  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 02:25 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside13 View Post
As you can see right above the oil pan bolt is where it is coming from. I circled where it is starting pool up after I wiped it clean when I noticed where it was coming from.
That picture is right behind your water pump right? There should be no oil coming from that as it pumps coolant. Based on your pic and how grimy and oily it is above your oil pan (behind the water pump toward the back of the bike) I think your leak is somewhere else. Degrease all that crap and put some baby powder on it to see where the leak is coming from.

Edit: I'm not an expert on where oil and coolant flow but maybe you need part number 10 : http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...2057#sch409112

Last edited by Rgswol; 03-13-2015 at 02:31 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 02:37 PM
Knee Dragger

Ah link doesn't work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2015-03-13 at 1.30.54 PM.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	150489  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page