Twitchy engine when cold (a bit more complicated problem) - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Twitchy engine when cold (a bit more complicated problem)

Hey guys,

So when the bike is just started and say you are in first then you change to second (not much throttle), low revs (<7K) and then you slowly start to accelerate the engine will start "coughing" in a way. It is like the clutch engages and disengages very fast for say 1 or 2 or 3 times.

Then you back off with the throttle and then after short time it will do the same thing from say 2nd to third at say 11K rpm. In other words when you are accelerating and the bike is relatively cold it will start doing it.

This never has happened before in the 3 years I have the bike. And the outside temperature is relatively mild 16C, it isn't really cold or anything.

Moreover this started to happen even when the engine should be warm (after say 10 min). Gently cruising in 6th and then I can feel this happening once, then say 5 seconds later again.

After 30 min of relatively aggressive riding this doesn't happen, but still, I'm quite unnerved by it and completely destroys my confidence because if this happens in a curve I could crash easily.

I do have a quickshifter and I'm not sure if it has something to do with it. I've triple checked all the sensor/shifting rod, wires etc, but seems completely fine. My reasoning is that if it is a QS issue, this should happen all the time, bike being cold or warm no difference.

My suspicion are the spark plugs, as I'm not sure when they were changed (they were not in the last year and a half thats for sure). I'm going to override the QS and see if that helps though.

If you have any ideas, please feel free to share.

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok, I've isolated the problem. I've bridged the QS so the problem didn't happen at all. I'm not sure why there is a problem with the QS, but I'll work from there.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 04:41 AM
BOTM winner 03/15

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
A fellow member experienced running problems which were eventually attributed to the QS.

Might be worth a read?
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=431489

Best of luck, sorry I can't be more help but your post jogged my memory of this older problem.

UK '08 CBR600RR build thread: link *SOLD*
BOTM Winner 03/15

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page