High idle issue after dead battery - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High idle issue after dead battery

It's an '06 CBR600RR w/ 31,5xx KM's on it. After being parked (impounded) for 7 days the battery was dead, wouldn't start. Got some leads on it to jump it and it wouldn't start still but was turning over fast like the battery had a full charge; figured I may have flooded it.... I tried starting it with the throttle at full... little spitting and sputtering and it fired up, at a high idle ~2-2500RPMS and after 3-4 minutes it jumped to ~3500RPMS. Took it for a ride as I figured the battery just needed charging but even after a 20min ride (had to go to work) it still continued to idle high (as it were cold/choke on).
Tried disconnecting the battery again/resetting ECU and after firing it up it idled around ~2000 and held there until I put it in gear and let the clutch out slightly it jumped to ~3500 again.

Voltage with bike off is 12.89V, voltage while cranking is 11V, voltage at idle (2000RPM) 13.86V, voltage at idle (3500RPM) 14.38V

I'm hoping it's just the battery, need to get a load test done on it but just looking for advice. My main question is... Will the bike adjust the idle to compensate for a weak battery? Doesn't seem like a Reg/Rec issue as it will hold at 14.38V

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 05:40 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Mine did this with a brand new battery out of nowhere. Fired it up, jumped straight to ~3500rpms and sat there. I shut the bike down after a few minutes, waited a minute or so, then started it back up and all was well.

It hasn't done it since, but it baffled me when it happened. I'm in for a solution, or an explanation of what happened.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Interesting. Sounds like it is something battery/charging related then if it's happened to other people.
I will have to load test the battery to see what it does under load.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows or can confirm that the bike will adjust the idle to compensate for a weak battery... I figured once the bike was running... it's running, It doesn't monitor battery voltage does it? Or I suppose if the battery is that weak it could try to draw a lot of power from the bike to charge causing the idle to increase? Anyone know?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 07:21 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Your bikes ecu doesn't adjust the idle... the idle cable on the left side does

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I see. What controls the choke on the bike? There has to be something controlling or having an effect on the idle besides the idle cable.... I just rode home from work. When I start it up, idle is a bit high at 2000rpms, let it warm up till the temp shows, put it in gear and let the clutch out slightly (not moving at all) and the rpms jump to 3500 and wont go down until I shut the bike off and start it again. When I start it again it will be at 2000 and the same thing happens, jumps to 3500 and doesn't go down, even after 30min ride after work. Is there an idle air control on these bikes that could have gone faulty? Will do more research when I get home. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:22 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
There is no choke. 600rr's are fuel injected

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:24 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
if the idle doesn't come down, you need to adjust it with the little knob on the left side. It comes out of the bike above the water pump and typically is attached to one of the larger coolant hoses with a plastic bracket. Make sure to let the bike get fully up to running temps before you adjust idle.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

There is some kind of choke on the bike... Maybe not technically a "choke" but the ECU must control the fuel mixture; I ride all winter and on those days that it is freezing I fire it up and the rpms race to 3500'ish, but once the temp read out appears/it warms up the rpms drop back to normal idle.

How can I adjust the idle when the idle is changing under different circumstances? It idles at 2000rpms when started up and stays there but jumps to 3500 if I go to take off, and will stay there even if I pop it back into neutral. Kind of like how the ecu controls it when it is cold. If in the winter I try to take off and it's not warmd up, the rpms will jump to the 3000 range.
If I start it and leave it at 2000 till it's warm and then adjust it, I have a feeling it will still jump up when I try to take off. If I adjust it when it's at 3500 I have a feeling it won't idle at all when I first try to start it.

Ideas???
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 10:18 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
sounds like something else going on then. My bike idles fine no matter what the temp is outside once its up to full operating temp. its normal for it to bounce around as its warming up. You I would check a couple sensors after you adjust the idle.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I'm thinking maybe IAT sensor maybe gone faulty? Would make sense seeing as the bike is always acting like it's cold...
But even if that sensor is misreading, you would think that once the operating temperature of the bike came up, it would stop running rich... Or maybe not if it is an abnormal value and thinks it is really cold?
Anyone know how to test IAT sensor? I'm going to start digging into it tonight after work.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Local shop seems to think it's a vacuum Leak but can't say cause they haven't looked at the bike and I don't want to pay them lol.

Here is a video of the issue....
http://youtu.be/88YUJdKiL5c

Last edited by dcal87; 04-23-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page