Power Commander V install gone wrong. Please help!! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Power Commander V install gone wrong. Please help!!

I have an 08 Cbr600rr. Two Bros slip was the only performance mod if installed until yesterday. Me and my bonehead friend attempted to install a K&N air filter (went fine), a power commander V and the dynojet quick shifter. We attempted the quickshifter but gave up and pulled it out as the instructions provided left connections out that we still had dangling.
But when we tried to crank it with the PCV, it wasn't running right. When idling, we'd give it full throttle and itd go up to about 7,000RPM max and then back down to about 2,000rpm. Back and forth while holding it at full throttle. We did install the closest map we could find for my setup (we found the selection on site very lacking). So we pulled the PCV out too. Thing is, it was doing the exact same **** with the PCV out. But he figured out it wasn't grounded right or some **** and we got that aspect back to normal and I packed all my **** and rode home.

But now there's a whole host of new problems. The fuel injection dash light is on, the HESD dash light is on, the speedometer reads 0 no matter what and the odometer isn't reading miles driven anymore. It just reads at what it was before we started tinkering.

Now I'm taking my bike to a shop tomorrow to get the PCV and quickshifter installed and to fix whatever it was we fucked up that's causing the new problems. I just wish I'd taken it to a shop to begin with. This bike was perfect before I allowed dumbass to attempt the install. Feeling really down today.
Any thoughts on what we fucked up exactly? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

It's also worth noting that throttle response is not good now. But I think that's just from having a slip on and a K&N with no PCV?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 06:13 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You hooked up the PCV to the wrong fuel injectors... If you don't know what you are doing, these are very hard to hook up on a 600rr. I'd recommend searching around here for specific instructions or having someone who's hooked it up before help install it.

2007 Honda CBR600RR White
Stolen - Recovered - Still totaled out https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=473281
Part-out / Garage cleaning for sale thread https://www.600rr.net/vb/153-07-13-rr...isc-parts.html

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Thank you for your reply. Yeah I think you're right in that regard. I am taking it to a professional shop tomorrow. However, what has me worried now is the speedo and odometer not working as well as the fuel injection dash light and the HESD dash light. Any thoughts on resolving that?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 07:16 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

could be a couple of different things. I wasn't the best when it came to the mechanical or electrical workings of my bike and I had 2 different friends who did most of the work in their garage and I was just the "good second set of hands"

I would start with seeing what the shop has to say, but I'd recommend finding a buddy who knows bikes to help with specific and general trouble shooting and also modding and maintenance on your bike. It's a lot of fun and very gratifying doing the work yourself and you learn a ton. If you ride enough, you should be able to find some friends or other people that you ride with who are also gear heads when it comes to bikes.

Stolen - Recovered - Still totaled out https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=473281
Part-out / Garage cleaning for sale thread https://www.600rr.net/vb/153-07-13-rr...isc-parts.html
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Going forward, there are youtube videos for virtually anything you're trying to do.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Oh a friend is never touching my bike again. When I rode into his garage yesterday my bike was running like a top. Now I feel like it's been tainted lol.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 08:34 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,055 Times in 859 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
you unplugged a bunch of **** you werent supposed to.

you likely unplugged the steering damper, and never plugged it back in

you probably also unplugged your speed pickup, and neglected to plug that back in again as well.

if you have zero idea and even less direction as to what you are about to do, you should either get some idea and direction, otherwise don't bother.

the shop will have it sorted in no time
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Thanks for the reply. And you're right. Although I trusted my bike in the hands of someone that I thought knew what they were doing. I hope it's just as simple as forgetting to plug something back up. I was more of a spectator in this endevour. So I don't know if that's what it is. I think it is though.

As for the fuel injection light, he said that it lights up after you unplug a certain plug and that you have to enter some dash code or something to get it to go back off. Does this make sense to anyone or was he talking out of his ass? Thanks again.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 11:10 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,055 Times in 859 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
He's talking out his ass.

something is either unplugged or plugged in the wrong place.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 11:14 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Well to my defense, when my "friend" worked on my bike... one of them is a shop manager at a local power sports dealer here in MN and has rebuilt MANY snowmobiles, ATVs and motorcycles before and my other "friend" is one of the more knowledgable guys on here when it comes to anything 600rr related, so I was in pretty good hands.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 04:27 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The wiring should be pretty straight forward it's pretty hard to mess up a PCV install. The cable harness has four plugs in a line to correspond to the fuel injectors. the harness goes from left to right and is color coordinated.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 06:30 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Yea never let him work on that thing again. Installed pc5 on buddies 09 and it was simple. Only thing that sucked was having to take off gas tank just to get to lower injectors and also tps had to take off left side mid fairing

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Thanks for the replies everyone. Bike has been in the shop since Monday. Was kinda hoping to have it back by now...no riding for me this weekend..Pretty pathetic for a damn PCV and quick shifter install. Something that should take 2-3 hours max. If he charges me anymore than 4 hours labor I'm gonna burn his ******* shop to the ground...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 09:41 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Gillmore View Post
If he charges me anymore than 4 hours labor I'm gonna burn his ******* shop to the ground...
What if the damage you caused takes longer than that?
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 01:13 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
What if the damage you caused takes longer than that?
This +1

hahaha

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Oh I'm just messin. Once he calls me to come pick it up it'll be all good and my anxiousness will melt away. He did send me a pick of two screws that douche nozzle left in the flippin airbox...He told me that one hard bump or wheelie would've sent them into the engine :/ Glad he found them. I swear no friend is ever touching my bike again...
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Alright guys I got my bike back from the shop today ($598). About what I expected to pay, really. The problem turned out to be a bent pin on the vehicle speed sensor that wasn't making contact. He bent it back out and got it to plug in correctly. He offered to replace it but said it should be fine as long as it's not unplugged again lol. So I said don't replace it, but if it gives me problems in the future, I'll know what it is.

I've seen a few threads on here and on Google about no speedo, no odometer and FI and HESD lights on and the only other one besides mine that actually updated the thread with the solution was a guy with a bad vehicle speed sensor. So to anyone in the future with a similar problem, the vehicle speed sensor would be a good place to start!

Thanks to everyone who replied. It's good to be back on the road. And DAMN this Dynojet quickshifter in the business! Best mod to date :)))) Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page