Runs rich, fouls plugs, shoots flames - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Runs rich, fouls plugs, shoots flames

Hey guys,
So I've been scouring posts on here with no avail. I'm almost to the point of running my bike off a cliff and claiming insurance. It's got full coverage for a reason right?

I have a 2003 cb600rr with 37k mi. I have a slip on exhaust and a k&n filter. No PC or anything else.

So this started when I washed my bike with soap and water.
Started the bike the next day and it wouldn't say running-it sounded like it choked itself out. So I cranked up the idle screw to keep it running without any throttle. Wasn't sure what was wrong so I changed the fuel that was in there and put some injector cleaner in the gas tank. Tried running that for a bit and the idle started to go up so I thought it was the injectors. Sent them out and had them cleaned and flow tested as well as changing the plugs. Tore everything apart down to the throttle body and popped it off to un stick the froze idle cable. Put it all back together and it worked like a dream for a weekend. I had no issues while I was out. We went slow and fast, turned off and on a few times-normal operations. Then it sat a day in my garage, I went to start it up the next day and it was the same ol ****. -_-
So I took out the upper injectors and cleaned them. Checked the fuel pressure and its spot on. Checked the TPS, IAT, MAP and even swapped ecu's with a 2004. Still ran like nuts-and actually stopped starting. Took out the plugs again and they were of course fouled so we cleaned them and put them back in and it started again.

What else could be wrong? I'm literally running out of ideas.

-runs rich and spits out unused fuel out of the exhaust
-fouls plugs in no time flat
-shoots 2ft. flames
-will stay running now but sounds like it wants to choke itself out
-no FI codes

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 08:55 PM
BOTM Winner 07/16

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sounds like you forgot to plug the hose from the airbox to the map sensor.

Therefore the MAP sensor thinks that you're on wide open throttle and therefore tell teh ECU to dump 100% fuel into the engine; therefore running rich and fouling plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page