New owner with bouncy revs at 5500rpm only - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New owner with bouncy revs at 5500rpm only

Hi,

I am hoping someone on here can offer some assistance with a problem that i have with a CBR600RR 2003 that i recently bought and refurbished.

The previous owner rode the bike to my house and i basically stripped it to a frame, engine and wheels as i noticed many nuts and bolts were loose on the bike after it had been delivered.

I went over the bike with a fine tooth comb as i found brake disc bolts loose, the nose cone had 1 loose bolt holding it together and when the guy was riding the bike to my house the nose wobbled up and down about 3 inch.

Anyway...

After rebuilding i took the bike for a test ride to look for faults or areas for improvement.

My main issue is that the bike has a bouncy revs sat at 5500rpm only.

It pulls through the revs fine but its not possible to hold the revs at 5500 rpm weather the engine is hot or cold. This makes it difficult to ride when going round a sweeping corner as it unsettles the front end as it feels like you are constantly on and off the throttle slightly.

Its like the bike lacks fuel at 5500rpm and its like i am on and off the throttle constantly.

After a little research the honda workshop/technical manual states that at 5500 rpm is when a second set of injectors kick in which matches the rpm when i have my issue. mmmmmmmmm....

I think the previous owner failed to mention the fault which is not a problem as i assume buying a bike private is going to have issues half the time anyway.... so sold as seen etc....

Oh.... just to confirm the bike rides perfectly fine apart from this, does not back fire and idles perfectly. Its got 20k on the clocks and service history is unknown.

A few snaps...

Last edited by ian505050; 05-19-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 05:57 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
wild surmise.....

Might be that secondary injectors are clogged/dirty?

Maybe a dose of fuel injector cleaner and a bunch of heavy roll-ons could smooth it out?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
wild surmise.....

Maybe a dose of fuel injector cleaner and a bunch of heavy roll-ons could smooth it out?
I'm thinking this too. Dirty injectors.

I would say a good couple doses of injector cleaner + premium fuel to see if it helps out.

Ride carefully - You are invisible.
FB | YT

I'd rather be next to a rider that can maintain a controlled wheelie than a muppet on their phone.

Current: 2012 Street Triple R
Sold: 2001 NSR150SP | 2012 CBR250R
RIP: 2003 CBR600RR

DIY:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
wild surmise.....

I was thinking the same at one point so i ran redex fuel injector cleaner through the system at a much higher ratio of injector fluid to fuel than recommended and held the rpm high for 20 seconds or so.

I also did a spirited ride with fuel injector cleaner in the system and covered 200 miles but had the same issue still when i got home.

I might try my brothers fuel injectors on my bike and see if it resloves the issue.

Thanks for your ideas anyway.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzman View Post
I'm thinking this too. Dirty injectors.

I would say a good couple doses of injector cleaner + premium fuel to see if it helps out.
Might try a tank of premium fuel as it cant harm anything other than my wallet but i am not holding my breath, haha.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 02:37 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Based on the rpm that the issue occurs and the fact that it pulls fine during acceleration I'm going to say dirty injectors aren't likely. I would almost go as far as ruling out mechanical, and focusing on electrical possibilities. Check connections, ground points etc. to make sure everything is tight and corrosion free. Also, check your TPS.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:29 AM
Moto GP Racer

Swap ECM's with your Brother's bike?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Right..... so i decided to fit the standard exhaust after removing my PipeWerx exhaust.

I started up the bike and had the same issue, the bike had bouncy revs at 5,500 rpm.

I then did a bit of research on the forum with regards to the TPS and someone mentioned that this can get damaged or dislodged when the bike is dropped on the LH side.

I looked at my TPS and it has 2 elongated holes to mount it. It had been mounted in one of its extreme positions so i undid the 2 bolts that hold it and moved it approximately 1mm anti-clockwise and nipped up the fixing bolts.

I then started up the bike and now the bike pulls smooth through the revs and does not have a bouncy rpm at 5,500.

I do however have an engine oil light that is now lit up when the bikes running on the dash after moving the sensor. How can i turn this light off?

Last edited by ian505050; 05-28-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page