Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Clunking noise going over bumps in brand new CBR

9K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  dannoxyz 
#1 ·
2016 600. Bought it brand new and even before it had 1 mile on it I would hear and slightly feel in the handlebars a clunking noise coming from the front end when going over bumpy brick roads.

I can't tell what is causing it - if it is the Forks bottoming out or what.

Any idea where to start looking? I haven't touched the fork settings.

#2 ·
It could be suspension, but I would check the neck / centre bearings.

Could just be loose in the triple tree.

#7 ·
Just an update - dealer said this has happened before and they tore the bike apart with Honda looking for the issue and it ended up just being normal for the Showas. A quick google search showed this had some validity. At any rate the tech took me back and showed me all the torque specs were tight and it's recorded now if there does end up being a problem even out of warranty.

I'm content.

#8 ·
Looks like you already got your answer but just wanted to re-assure you that I had the same thing on my 2012 fireblade and when I asked a suspension Guru he told me it is in fact normal and a quirky characteristic of the Showa BPF.

It is caused by the sudden compression of the resting slop in the fork fluid I think and is not at all a problem.

#11 ·
my 2017 has this as well. Brand new, I noticed it on the ride home from the dealer.

I have gone thru the whole front end of the bike and everything is torqued to spec.

I will ask/tell them about it at the first service and see if they have any more info.

do we know if other bikes with the Showa BPF have this issue too, or just the specific parts on the CBR?

#14 · (Edited)
So the dealers are wrong about the noise being normal in showa BPF? I would like to know how you do that and which bolts. I looked at the front tire hugger and the bolts already come with rubber grommet. I think the sound comes when the fork extends totally and hits the top harder. Like if it has too much rebound. Would be great to eliminate the noise!

#13 ·
Chris, pics of the specific bolts?

I ask because all of mine are tight and no slop anywere, but I still hear it

#16 ·
Try what previous guy did with front fender. First, remove fender completely and go for ride to confirm. It it makes no clunking with it removed, then you know that's problem.

Reactions: NewRedRider
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.