Just bought 06, weird headlight/signal issues. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just bought 06, weird headlight/signal issues.

Hey peeps! My friend just bought a 06 CBR600RR and asked me to help her troubleshoot it.

Me riding it home for her:

Issues I've found so far with the bike:

1. The highbeam/lowbeam switch does nothing, the highbeam indicator light stays lit constantly.

2. If the highbeams (both bulbs) are on (can't turn them off currently) and you turn on the left turn signal, the right headlight bulb goes out for the duration of the signal (the left headlight stays on). The right turn signal doesn't affect the headlights at all, both stay lit.

3. It's got a SUPER weird electrical device plugged into the dash cluster (at least I think that's where it's going):

Previous modifications to the bike:

Security system (unknown brand, no marking on the remote, no markings on the brain in the trunk).

Rizoma front and rear LED turn signals (with inverters and resistors), and a Rizoma LED license plate light.

HID headlights (the left side ballast is bad and the bulb is cracked):

As far as I know the sub harnesses for the headlight bulbs are missing. I wanted to get rid of the HID's and put some stock H7 bulbs back in but the tabs on the H7 bulbs are too close together to fit into this connector:

Unfortunately the previous owner actually cut the connector off the wiring harness to install the LED turn signals :(

Other than that, bike works mint, sounds amazing and runs a like a dream even with the exhaust modifications (akrapovic, not sure if just slip on) and no fuel controller.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated, I've only ever owned Yamaha so a bit lost as to where to start with the troubleshooting.

-Jamie M.
The Following User Says Thank You to toysareforboys For This Useful Post:
Mr. Dixon Cider (06-14-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:20 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Only advice for the headlight and turn signal issue would be to just get rid of all the extra stuff and go from there. As for getting rid of the HID's, the H7 bulbs actually use an adapter and the connector plugs into the adapter.

Part # 33130-MAT-611

I'd also recommend getting the male and female connectors for the signals. Splice each onto the harness and light so that you can just plug and play. I don't understand why people don't spend the extra few dollars for the connector instead of chopping the harness.

"Opinions are like A**holes. Everyone has one."

- Untamed Entity -

Last edited by Untamed Entity; 06-14-2017 at 07:22 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Untamed Entity For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed Entity View Post
Only advice for the headlight and turn signal issue would be to just get rid of all the extra stuff and go from there. As for getting rid of the HID's, the H7 bulbs actually use an adapter and the connector plugs into the adapter. Part # 33130-MAT-611
Thanks a ton for the part number, ordered two off ebay! I highly doubt this will fix any of my issues (the stuck on highbeam or the right headlight cutting out when using the left turn signal) but at least I'll be at a better place to start troubleshooting.

-Jamie M.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 09:50 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
Thanks a ton for the part number, ordered two off ebay! I highly doubt this will fix any of my issues (the stuck on highbeam or the right headlight cutting out when using the left turn signal) but at least I'll be at a better place to start troubleshooting.

-Jamie M.
There's a mod that turns both headlights on at the same time. I know a vendor here Tripage does it. As for what it actually entails i'd check their site.

- Untamed Entity -
The Following User Says Thank You to Untamed Entity For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Making progress. I saw some strange/messy electrical tape on the wiring harness coming out of the highbeam/lowbeam switch so I unwrapped it:

Well there's your problem lady! Looks like they cut almost every wire in the harness for no reason :(

I guess the only question is: Do I just repair those two wires with new solder and heatshrink filled with silicone or do I re-do all the rest of the cut wires too? :(

Hopefully this will fix both issues (stuck on highbeam and the right headlight shutting off when you turn on the left turn signal).

-Jamie M.
The Following User Says Thank You to toysareforboys For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I guess the person who did the previous modifications didn't own a soldering gun :(

But, GOOD FREAKIN NEWS! All fixed. Sorry for no photos, I was in a hurry because there was a rain storm coming, only a few hours of daylight left, and the mosquitoes were just waiting to pounce on me. I don't have a garage and the bike goes in for certification tomorrow (which they wouldn't pass with the high beams stuck on).

I put the two white wires back together and reconnected all of the rest of the cut wires with solder and silicone filled heat shrink. I added an extra inch or two of ofc wire in a Z shape as strain relief so every time you turn the bike it won't be bending at the solder joints, better setup than factory even! :)

The highbeam and lowbeam work perfectly now (the low beam is the left bulb, as you're sitting on the bike, in case anyone is wondering) and using the turn signal no longer causes one of the headlights to cut out! WOOT!

She wanted to stay with HID's. I tried to talk her into a projector upgrade but no go, oh well, can't win them all. Dropped in a new 8000k (I suggested 3000k or 4300k but "it wasn't pretty enough") 35w HID kit. Worked flawless of course, even without having to use the honda bulb adapters. When the honda bulb adapters arrive I'll plug the HID ballasts into the bulb adapters so when the next owner decides to get rid of the HID's they'll have everything there to just plug in some stock bulbs.

Adjusted her throttle freeplay, it was WAY off, you had NO idea when it was going to start accelerating, just twist and twist then THERE YOU GO! So much slop. It's tighter than a Nun on Sunday now, instant throttle response even if you just breath on the throttle. I suggested she lubes the throttle and clutch cables (I don't own the adapter).

It had quite a bit of negative clutch freeplay, hopefully it didn't damage the clutch :(

Took it for a rip, sounds freaking amazing, runs nice. I can't believe how much more torque this CBR 600 has down low compared against my 08 R6! Makes the R6 feel like a CBR 125 under 7k RPM!

Thanks for all the info and advice guys.

-Jamie M.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:06 AM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
The strange electrical device is a knight rider mod. If you plug in the parts under the tape your third eye should light up with whichever color they selected.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripage View Post
The strange electrical device is a knight rider mod. If you plug in the parts under the tape your third eye should light up with whichever color they selected.
Awesome, thanks so much!!! Glad it's not part of the security system :) After the bike get certified tomorrow I'll rip out the security system and knight rider mod.

Thanks again.

-Jamie M.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:27 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Glad you got it sorted for your friend. Hopefully they get you a case of beer for your troubles.

- Untamed Entity -
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:43 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
Awesome, thanks so much!!! Glad it's not part of the security system :) After the bike get certified tomorrow I'll rip out the security system and knight rider mod.

Thanks again.

-Jamie M.
What you gonna do with the security system and knight rider mod? Maybe I can throw it in my '09 - we need to get darkangel to come out again ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page