04 cbr600rr turns but wont fire - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 cbr600rr turns but wont fire

Alright i'll try to best explain everything that's going on.

I bought an 04 cbr600rr from someone last month. Road it fine for two weeks(roughly 250miles) then when I went to fill it up at a local gas station(with 91 octane fuel) it wouldn't start. Called up my buddy(Josh) told me to wait a little bit let it sit drink a monster or something and let it sit for a second. After I let it sit it started up fine.. Got it home and tried running it the next day but wouldn't start for the first few cranks, after couple minutes of trying it finally fired up. This would happen about 3 or 4 more times till we finally took it apart and started checking stuff out we re-wired the BAS which was already bypassed and made sure the senors weren't bad. After about an hour we switched my battery with Josh's battery which was in an R1. It fired up right away when we put it in. So I bought a new battery thinking that was the issue and it was fixed. So we put the new battery in and put everything back together. I drove it home and started it up the next day and road it maybe 20 miles came back and parked it in the garage.. I thought well lets make sure it'll still start up. It wouldn't... The fuel pump primes just fine and the only time it won't is if we remove the bypass for the BAS Since then it's been sitting in my garage not starting at all... We have checked all the fuses and every one of those are fine. We have replaced the spark plugs thinking it might be them but still nothing. We have checked the voltage of a lot of the wires leading up to the ECM/ECU. The ground wires seem to be fine. We al At this point me and Josh are at a lose and we can't think of anything else, so any sort of input would be extremely helpful... Sorry for the long read but at this point this is the last thing I turn to before I take it to the shop and drop a ridiculous amount of cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 08:45 AM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
What is it doing when it won't start back up? Does it only do this when it's hot, say after a ride? Sounds like your rectifier if it is. On the 04 it's too close to the headers without a deflector to keep it cool. You can use an 05 and swap it out or make a plate to cover it from the backside and keep it cool but let me know what it's doing when you try and start it.
The Following User Says Thank You to tripage For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (08-06-2017)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

the regulator/rectifier wont keep it from starting it just converts the AC voltage from the stator to DC voltage.
It will just continually crank. It's not because it is too hot. We've tried to start it in 70 degree weather since it has stopped running.

we have Checked
Spark
Fuel
it cranks, just wont start
we have tests resistance on all(8) of the injectors
we have tested
Cam pulse generator
ingition pulse generator
we have Triple checked all of the fuses
tested the BAS bypass, as that would keep the fuel pump from priming at all

the only other thought that we have considered is a batch of bad gas and possibly fuel pressure.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 12:03 PM

IT will cause the bike to not fire. I have had this bike since it came out and this is a known problem with the 03-04 600rr design and many have switched to the 05 rectifier to keep this from occurring.

You can also bump start the bike when this happens, try this. If the bike starts up your rectifier is the problem.

In your case with it continually cranking is could be flooded. This is something else that can happen on the RR but usually only if it sits for a little bit. Give it full throttle when this happens until it starts. IF it starts then this is your issue.

I know that it's fuel injected and not supposed to flood but it can happen. I know a lot about this bike and can offer many solutions to problems that occur. You have tested and tried the basics, take advice from those that are you asking advice from and have owned the bike for many, many years and heard of similar situations and experienced them as well
Kerdscbr (08-07-2017)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

It wont Bump start currently either that was the last thing we tried this pass Saturday.

We have cleared the engine out when we changed the Plugs (pulled the plugs, disconnected the Fuel pump, and crank the engine.) also had the plugs out for 3 days before putting the new plugs in.

I appreciate the advice, at this point everything helps. didnít mean to come of harsh with the regulator statement, my buddy has never come across that as an issue but his experience is with Suzuki GSXR 600/750/100 and Yamaha R6/R1 so maybe there is some differences.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 05:31 PM

Having done all of that I would say it's probably fuel related. Maybe coil pack? Hard to say.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 04:45 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Try some carby cleaner or starter fluid in the air intake to get around the fuel issue. If it starts, then you know its fuel. Also have you checked for any fault codes from the ECU?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foxxor For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (08-13-2017), Kerdscbr (08-18-2017), SaratogaLED (08-23-2017)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Sorry for not responding lately, been a busy month so far and haven't been able to get out to the garage much to work on the bike. I will try some starter fluid to see if it is in fact a fuel issue I am dealing with. I will let you know the results as soon as I get it tested.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerdscbr For This Useful Post:
SaratogaLED (08-23-2017)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Little update, Spray some starter fluid in the air intake and it started up! As soon as I gave it any bit of throttle it sputtered out and died off. Any thoughts or ideas on my next steps moving forward?
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerdscbr For This Useful Post:
SaratogaLED (08-23-2017)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Training Wheel Hero

You need to check for fault codes. Otherwise you're just fumbling in the dark.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winston For This Useful Post:
SaratogaLED (08-23-2017)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Fixed update. From the attached picture. This piece which we believe is the pressure valve or pressure release in the fuel pump(correct me if i'm wrong) was off centered, we snapped it back into place and put it back in the fuel tank.. Filled the tank with some of the fuel we drained and it started up and ran like a champ. Started it up 3 more times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel pump.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	194394  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kerdscbr For This Useful Post:
NewRedRider (09-02-2017), SaratogaLED (08-23-2017)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the update. Wonder how that happened though???
SaratogaLED (08-23-2017)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Not too sure, hopefully it doesn't happen again. Happy riding!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kerdscbr For This Useful Post:
SaratogaLED (08-23-2017), tripage (08-24-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page