Fuel Gauge Flash after reinstalling Integrated taillight - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Gauge Flash after reinstalling Integrated taillight

First post here, wish it didn't have to be in the troubleshooting section.
Here is the short version of my issue:
2005 CBR600rr
Reinstalled Integrated taillights (lights work but not blinkers)
Headlight doesn't turn on
Fuel gauge blinks outwards
Bike cranks but fuel pump doesn't prime

Long verision:
I bought a use 2005 CBR600rr recently upgrading from a cbr250. The bike already had integrated tail lights installed but some of the LEDs were out, so I decided to get a new one, the same exact one. All the wires were exactly the same, I removed the rear fairings and discovered the previous owner connected all the ground wires for the turn signal to this yellow "ground" dongle thing and then the other end is connected to the lights. I didn't think anything of it, my idea was just disconnect the wires and reconnect the new ones, and don't mess with anything else. So I did exactly that, turn the bike on tested the lights everything seems to work fine. The next day I tried to go out for a ride, the bike started up like normal everything was fine. I tried to test the tail lights again, I saw that it was flickering and doing weird things. So I turned the bike off but then I wanted to start the bike up again so I can move it into the garage to work on it. This time the fuel gauge start blinking in a outward pattern and the fuel pump doesn't prime, however the taillight seems to be on, but not the headlights, turn signals doesn't work either. I have been reading this forum for the last 12 hours, trying to find anything that might be wrong, so I found the post about the Magic yellow ground box that seems be a the route of all problems. I saw this box when I had the fairings off and someone definitely messed with it in the past, one of the wires was cut and attached to another wire. anyways I looked through the forums and didn't find any mentions about blinking fuel gauge with my symptoms. I also disconnected the lights and still can't prime. I will check the yellow box tonight.

the post below talks about the magic yellow box. hopefully someone can provide some additional insight. Thanks for the help in advance.

https://www.600rr.net/vb/62-troublesh...nt-work-3.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 01:37 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
sounds like a short somewhere in your wiring. check all the connections that you did. make sure that they are solid connections and totally insulated. I had a ground problem that missed with my gauge and fuel pump. Also make sure your battery is good and connections to it are solid.

Are we there yet?!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noobstar For This Useful Post:
chenister (08-08-2017), dixon cider (08-08-2017)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Just want to update and hopefully this will help someone. So checked all the connections and made sure they are solid and it didn't work. So I got curious about the yellow box, I saw that it was tampered with already and it was all taped up and figured it was probably working ok, but I unwrapped it anyways. And Wow, this thing is like toasted, it was pretty black in one corner, so the PO had to cut that wire and merge with another wire and now that connection is looking pretty bad as well(does anyone know which ground does that lead to? seems like it's the same toasted corner for everyone). I unplugged the pins and then took the metal piece out and clean the crap out of it with a metal brush and then plugged it back in and it worked!! However if someone can chime on this question. I read that some people put dielectric grease in the connectors before putting the plug back in. Here are my questions.

1. is the grease really going to help since the damage is from pure heat?

2. isn't the grease an insulator? so it would make the connection worse?
The Following User Says Thank You to chenister For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (08-08-2017)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 02:59 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Good to know you found and fixed the problem! I don't think grease will help if its heat. I always thought grease was just for corrosion prevention.

Are we there yet?!
The Following User Says Thank You to Noobstar For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (08-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page