Triple removal - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Triple removal

Recently lost my only key to my 2008 honda CBR 600rr. I'm having difficulties removing the top triple. From everything I've read it should come off fairly easily after removing just a few screws and bolts. Before losing my key it was left in the locked position. Does this also lock the triple down? And are there any workarounds?

Thanks,
SrStompy

Last edited by SrStompy; 08-13-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Had mine off a few times over the last couple of months. After the screws are undone on the fork clamps for the bars and the main nut on the neck is off, the top usually came right off. I wonder if the lock in the ignition is a security feature. Did you search Youtube yet?

Found this post on our forum. Its for an 06 though. https://www.600rr.net/vb/62-troublesh...on-switch.html

Tripage has a good comment down on the post I linked. You should be able to take one of the lock cylinders to a locksmith and have them make a key for you. Keep reading down as the trunk key is five cylinders and the ignition is 9. It may give you some ideas though.

First time rider over 40. Finally made it!

Last edited by dixon cider; 08-13-2017 at 10:57 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 11:55 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrStompy View Post
Recently lost my only key to my 2008 honda CBR 600rr. I'm having difficulties removing the top triple. From everything I've read it should come off fairly easily after removing just a few screws and bolts. Before losing my key it was left in the locked position. Does this also lock the triple down? And are there any workarounds?

Thanks,
SrStompy

I assume you tried cutting the two wires and splicing them together already, to make sure it runs right?

2007 blue/silver street bike.
Arrow headers / Akrapovic Ti slip-on / PC3 / BMC air filter / Tuned / 520 kit / Fender eliminator / Integrated tail light / Lightech rear sets / HIDs / LED Guage mod / Pazzo levers / etc etc

2008 race bike.
Arrow headers / TwoBros slip-on / BMC Air filter / PC3 / Tuned / 520 kit / Elka 4-way rear shock / Shorai battery / Vortex rearsets / Galfer lines / HM Quick Shifter / GPR V4 Damper

Guess which one sees more ride time each summer?....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 12:45 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,047 Times in 853 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You can't pull the top triple with the steering locked.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

@dixon cider - I had found the same post and thought this would be fairly simple.

@SetUpSixRR - It ran before misplacing the key a couple weeks ago. Not too worried about that.

@wibbly - I was afraid of that. Is there any workaround to this?

I habitually just lock the forks when getting off my bike. Given how easy this looked, I thought it was going to be nearly as expensive to rent a truck + trailer + locksmith, and this would be less painful than moving the bike around with locked forks. Looking at most the forum posts, it seemed like it would be pretty simple, and didn't look like the locked steering would prevent me from taking the ignition off.

I was able to find some videos of people drilling out ignitions for cars. I imagine the same concept can be applied to unlock the steering column.

Last edited by SrStompy; 08-14-2017 at 03:27 AM. Reason: updated information
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 12:46 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,047 Times in 853 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You can try to use a screw extractor to remove the igniting with the top clamp still installed. Honda uses security screws that are installed with a special tool. The recessed head is round.

Or, you can loosen everything off, remove the entire front end assembly (wheel, forks etc) then remove the lower triple first. It'll be a pain in the ass as you'll have to reach under the top triple to get access to the locking nuts that secure the headset. This would be a worst case.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 01:25 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are you replacing the ignition or getting it rekeyed? If I was just going to replace the whole assembly, I would just drill the lock, turn it with a screwdriver, then remove the triple.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So, I had already bought the new ignition/gas cap/seat lock. I ended up drilling the ignition lock. What a freaking pain! Highly recommend against doing this. My buddy had a lock pick set which took about 5-10 min to pick the gas cap/seat lock each with a simple rake.

This was far more painful than i would have imagined. If anyone's interested i took pictures of the whole process. I think if I were to do this again I would just pay a locksmith to make a new key. $$$ vs hassle, i chose poorly.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 10:47 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'm not dragging on you OP, but some great advice for anyone else that for whatever reason has one key:

Go get a second one made while you still have the first. It's the best $2-$10 you'll spend.

For the 600RR I did have to bring a keyblank to a Honda Powersports place, probably because of the weird double sided blade. Still, go do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page