2007 cbr not starting and dash not lighting up - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2007 cbr not starting and dash not lighting up

Hey guys so heres the low down about a month ago I low sided my bike. I got a 2007 honda cbr 600RR it scratched the fairings pretty well rims got bent and a couple scuffs on covers of the clutch and so forth. I immediately got up, picked the bike up and started it. It fired right up sounded fine and all the electronics came on no problems thank goodness. So i went about ordering new fairings and got new rims. Over the course of a couple weeks I took all the old fairings off put the new ones on, put new blinkers on, and got the rims and tires back on. I believe two times in the process i started the bike just to check it and it fired right up no problems. Well saturday was the day i finally got everything back on and started it as a brand new bike. It fired right up everything came on as it should. I let it warm up a bit, and as soon as i seen about 100 on the temp, i put it into gear (was on a back stand) and gave it some throttle. I wanted to see the back tire spin and make sure everything looked straight and so forth, well i got the tach up to maybe 5-6 grand and let off. As soon as i let off it started sputtering and died. So i turned the key off and back on and nothing lit up on the dash as it did ten seconds ago when i started it the first time. I tried to fire it up and got nothing no starter turnover or anything. Like the battery was dead. The clock on the dash was still on as well as my blinker lights, didnt look at my other lights, but nothing on the gauges came on. Thinking for some reason it may be the battery i went home and put it on a trickle and in probly two hours it showed full charge. So the next day i took it and put it in and turned the key, still nothing with the gauges but when i tried to start it, the starter came on but nothing would catch. So im kind of at a loss here. I mean for it starting fine before everything was taken apart and put back on and the gauges working, it makes me feel like it has to be something electrical, maybe a ground or fuses or something in that area. Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 12:30 PM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
Is your fuel pump coming on? If Not I would guess fuse check first thing. Also when you were installing parts did you mess with the kickstand at all? That sensor will kill the cluster and the bike if it's bypassed or the connection is lose.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Ahhhh I will have to try that when i get home. The fuel pump kicks on but When i was putting the bottom fairing on i do remember it being behind the kickstand so i was pressing and pulling on that trying to get it in front of it. Ill check that in a couple hours and see if thats the cause. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Code1284 For This Useful Post:
tripage (08-14-2017)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:35 PM
Knee Dragger

Sounds simple, but make sure the emergency cut off isn't on.

Twist of the Wrist
The Following User Says Thank You to SilliG For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (08-14-2017)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Yup it's definitely the kickstand switch messing around with it everything turns on and bike fires up but it cuts back out pretty quickly so it's either lose or broke, and I've never messed with one before. So in short how do you fix it?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 12:45 PM

There is a plug for it to connect to the bike, I would start there and see if it has pulled itself loose. When work your way down to the sensor itself and see if there are any torn connections.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

yea it seemed super lose so for now i by passed it and just cut the wires underneath the plug and soldered them together. Tried to start the bike but to no avail. But everytime i flip the kickstand up or down everything lights up and the bike starts for a quick second, then everything disappears and the bike dies. Its like the bike is still reading the kickstand but theres no sensor to read, its a closed circuit so it should think its up all the time. Any thoughts?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 06:24 PM

You can't bypass the kickstand on the 07 and up that way. We tried this at a trackday back in 07 to figure this out. Need to tighten up the sensor on the kickstand and put the wires back together and you should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page