Brakes locked after few days sitting - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brakes locked after few days sitting

What's up 600rr community. Unfortunately I'm having a little issue with my front brakes today (07 cbr600rr). Went to move it around the garage and noticed the bike was locked up, made me think it was in first, so checked it and nope, neutral. After a good nudge she rolled back but the front brake feels jammed up. If I roll it back the sound fluctuates, but one part seems to really squeak, like it was bent. Bike wasn't wet during storm, but ran into a shower coming home day before storm. I installed CRG levers over 3-4months ago. Did brake flush with my mechanic about a month ago. I'm lost lol. Any suggestions on where to start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 11:48 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
If I remember correctly, the CRG brake lever comes with a small steel dowel that sits in the lever and rotates when you pull it. You installed this dowel, right?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I installed the levers a while back and yes I followed instructions. Said to put it in a certain way and I did. It's been months without issues and then this. Should I take apart lever and switch back to stock/oem to eliminate that possibility?
I've heard stories about the aftermarket levers not release the brake fluid/tension properly and then it happens. But my bike sat a few days before this all went on, actually still havent turned it on since Saturday.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 02:47 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,047 Times in 853 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
the pads probably rusted on. have you rolled it around to free up the pads? walk around, apply the brake, let it all scrub off, once it's moving go for a short slow ride (carefully) and see if they ease up. chances are it's nothing.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks fellas. I went home and checked crg lever, I installed it correctly. I seen vids online saying I should have bled line after installing the lever? My mechanic just did a brake flush, told me everything was good to go, until 15k, that was less than a month ago and less 500 miles.
So I rolled bike out the garage and rode slowly around my neighborhood. It's obviously not locked up anymore, but are still squeaking from rolling when engine is off. I think it was rusted lock up or something. Is there any other steps to take? Sorry but I'm a noob and I don't want to take a spill over something silly. Should I apply a brake lube for the squeak or is there something at play here? Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate this community.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 08:05 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
There's no such thing as brake lube lol

Brakes are a friction system. Don't lube them. They will clean themselves up as you use them.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 09:57 PM
World Superbike Racer

There is such a thing as brake lube but it's not meant to be applied to the friction material or the rotors. In cars, it can be applied to the backside of each pad to reduce squeaking but I don't think it does much tbh.

What kind of pads OP? I just put on some cheapo brand sintered pads and they are squeaking at very low speeds. Haven't experienced any sticking though.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Ok awesome thanks fellas. Still a noob so figuring things out as I go. I bought it this year with 5800 miles, from original owner. It was 100% stock except the slip on. I can't even tell you if the fender is stock or aftermarket, so I can't tell you about the pads, I'm assuming there stock pads lol.
So the squeak/rubbing sound should stop after a longer ride? Btw, today after I checked the lever, the instructions said lube the pivot point/cross pin. It was dry and I didn't have "light barring grease". Get some? Use whatever? Don't worry about it? Lol. I appreciate the help fellas.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 12:40 AM
Moto GP Racer

I use some white lithium grease on parts like the pivot pin. This won't fix the noise but it's good for lever operation.

If you get some new brake pads, you can also lube the pad pins in the calipers, which can help with this sort of thing.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 12:42 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
basically, it rained, he rode in it, he parked and left it

grease isn't the issue.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 12:50 AM
Moto GP Racer

Oh yeah, agreed. I just like to add a touch of grease to the pivot pin in levers.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

You guys are all awesome. I really appreciate the help. It's still squeaking when rolled around the garage but it's not locked up at all. I'm sure you guys are right, it's nothing, just just a little rust locked sitting in the garage. Ok awesome I'll pick up some grease this weekend from my local store, thanks again fellas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page