leaking coolant - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
leaking coolant

hello everybody . my bike is a 2007 cbr600rr and i use this bike for just about every thing you could imagine a sportbike doing. in most cases this is my daily driver. now, the problem. its currently leaking coolant ( distilled water with mocool additive) anytime the bike gets hot and i stop moving. so like a little at red lights and usually ton when i park it. recently i did a flush and i replaced the honda coolant that was in it with this water mix.

the first time i noticed it was at this go cart track that i go to. i didnt get it out of first the whole time and was riding it high in the rps pretty hard. it was also a hot day and i went from hard riding to stop and turning off. then i look down because it felt like somebody was pissing on my boot and my coolant is shooting everywhere!. somebody there ,who happened to be a bike mechanic, told me that in this scenario it was completely normal and i should just top off when i get home. he said sense the coolant isnt pumping the engine heat ( climbed to 240 after being stopped) is boiling the coolant off and the steam is causing the reservoir to spit out coolant. OK , so i finished my track day and went home. right when i got home i let the bike cool and topped it off. the bike has spit out like a half gallon , maybe even more than that it was a week ago and i dont remember too well.

well yesterday i get home from a small trip to missouri and i go check the coolant level to make sure it didnt need a top off before riding and when i pulled off the cap it sounded like a bottle of soda letting all the CO2 out when you first open it. once i hear the noise i hear coolant leaking from the reservoir. ****. i top it all off and carry on. so im riding it in traffic and it starts to get hot .. really hot . so hot this its spraying everywhere on me and im forced to constantly turn around to dodge red lights just so i can keep the temp down by moving. well i get home and im pissed as ****. i top it off and pay careful attention to burping it and everything. i even let it sit all night with the cap off for more bubbles to escape.

so that brings me to today. radiator and reservoir full i adventure off on the 5 minute ride to school . nothing happens. take it to Walmart to pick something up really quick and nothing happens. i ride it through traffic maybe 15 mins and the bike didnt even get up past 220. nothing happens, not even at long lights. pull into the driveway and cut it and hop off and see a nice little puddle forming. **** . now im here .

alright. so obviously im wondering what this might be and what i could do to stop this from happening...
my thoughts :
1 the motul mocool product sucks
2 ive read about the radiator cap causing problems, so maybe i need a new one.
3 maybe due to the warmer weather its not feasible for me to run water in my area( fort collins colorado)
4 i should just switch back to coolant
5 im doing something wrong.

thanks for reading the post, hopefully somebody out there knows whats going on here.. ohh yeah and one last thing. the hoses are NOT backwards. thats the first thing i checked and by filling the reservoir i dont mean full i just mean slightly over the bottom line. thankyou :)

Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It sounds like you didn't burp all of the air out of the system. You've probably got air trapped and you need to go back and burp the system again.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
You did check your drain bolts to make sure they're not leaking right?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 07:08 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Are you hearing the coolant fan turn on at 221F? Your coolant fan or the relay may be bad if the fan is not running. I didn't see you mention that.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
And use Engine Ice. Once you get the air out...😅 I'm not familiar with the Motul coolant but you do need more than just pump lubricates. EI will even work down to -26F for freeze protection.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider View Post
And use Engine Ice. Once you get the air out...😅 I'm not familiar with the Motul coolant but you do need more than just pump lubricates. EI will even work down to -26F for freeze protection.

honestly if i switch at this point to anything it will be back to coolant ! unless of course engine ice is cool to leave in the bike all winter...

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Are you hearing the coolant fan turn on at 221F? Your coolant fan or the relay may be bad if the fan is not running. I didn't see you mention that.

the fan seems to be working fine. it just runs alot more sence ive done this whole coolant thing lol

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 01:44 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
It is. It also safe for track days.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
You did check your drain bolts to make sure they're not leaking right?

if the drain bolt is leaking, theres no way its this much . i will check again though to be certain. like when i say theres a puddle i mean immediatly after the bike is turned off i set it on the kick stand hop off and within that 5 or 6 seconds theres a fairly big puddle under the bike.

The Following User Says Thank You to elpeligroso For This Useful Post:
NewRedRider (09-13-2017)
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 01:46 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Just make sure the bike is level when you fill and burp the system again. You shouldn't try this on the side stand.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
It sounds like you didn't burp all of the air out of the system. You've probably got air trapped and you need to go back and burp the system again.

to my understanding you fill up the radiator, wait till it stops bubbling, then turn it on and rev it up till the bubbles stop. then i like to leave it sit for a little just to make sure the bubbles have completely escaped. does this sound right? if so how many times/ how much time should i spend revving it?

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
It is. It also safe for track days.

i think that might be my next move then ! as long as my wallet permits !

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
If you're allowing it to cool with the cap off that's probably why you still have air in the system.

Make sure the coolant reservoir is full and the bike is level. Warm the bike for a couple of minutes with the radiator cap off, all the while topping off the radiator.

The trick is to "rap" rev the throttle just enough to force out any trapped air without blowing your coolant out.

Once you think you have all the air out and the radiator topped off go ahead and turn the bike off. Replace the radiator cap and wipe the bike down.

Let it cool off completely and then check your reservoir level again. Don't open the radiator cap. Fill from the reservoir.

Last edited by NewRedRider; 09-13-2017 at 02:01 PM.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 02:05 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
If this method doesn't work you probably have a hole in the radiator or a hose is leaking somewhere. You'll need to pressure test the system to find the leak.

I'm can't be sure if the puddles are from it blowing coolant or leaking coolant.

Did you remove the oil filter with a screwdriver driver by any chance?

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 02:24 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,046 Times in 852 Posts
Garage
jesus christ what a mess of a thread.

coolant has a less cooling ability than water does. switching to coolant won't increase your cooling capacity.

if you had a leak in the system it would leak all the time. you don't have a leak in the system.

if you had air in the system, you wouldn't have water spewing everywhere, the system would be low, eventually the air would work its way into the reservoir and during cooling cycles the system will pull fluid to replace it. if there's too much air and the system is never able to fully pressurize, the cap will never open so you'll just overheat without any fluid spilling from the reservoir overflow.

you have what's almost certainly a bad rad cap, or some junk in the rad cap seal that's allowing the system to push fluid into the reservoir.

your cooling system is pressurized, this increases the boiling point of the fluid within it. the rad cap has a spring in it that allows fluid to migrate into the reservoir when the system tries to over pressure. so when the bike is hot, it's totally normal for the level in the reservoir to increase.

as the system cools off, there is a check valve in the cap that allows fluid in the reservoir to migrate back into the radiator.

if you have a bad cap spring, or a bad check in the cap, or a piece of crud in the cap seal, the system is never able to pressurize. when this happens, the thermal expansion of the fluid due to temperature forces it easily into the reservoir, overflowing it.

to put it briefly, check your rad cap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
Axel Nut (10-13-2017), elpeligroso (09-14-2017)
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 02:53 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I would have to agree with Wibbly, especially if the coolant is indeed leaking from the reservoir overflow hose.

Be careful, if your cap is not holding pressure as it should, your coolant will boil and you will overheat all while your temp gauge reads you are fine. Once the coolant boils, your temp sensor is unable to work properly, and the actual temperature of the steamy coolant mix is much higher than indicated. Replace your cap and try again.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
ok , i need a new cap from what it sounds like!.

i am 100% sure its comming from the reservoir overflow tube.

so just to be clear, when i fill the radiator and burp it i want to put the cap on while its still warm?

and if i read your responses correctly im going to want to keep an eye on my reservoir level because if i dont quite burp it all the way it will pull coolant from the reservoir?

The Following User Says Thank You to elpeligroso For This Useful Post:
NewRedRider (09-13-2017)
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 05:42 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I just recently had some spillage out of the rad cap. Turned out to be the little tabs on the cap that thread onto the radiator neck. Bent them back in and problem solved itself as I waited for a new one to come in the mail.

Check those tabs.

Edit: As for burping, there are loads of how-tos on this forum in the maintenance section. I can't pull the steps out of memory so take a look.

Last edited by Lyoha; 09-13-2017 at 05:45 PM.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoha View Post
I just recently had some spillage out of the rad cap. Turned out to be the little tabs on the cap that thread onto the radiator neck. Bent them back in and problem solved itself as I waited for a new one to come in the mail.

Check those tabs.

Edit: As for burping, there are loads of how-tos on this forum in the maintenance section. I can't pull the steps out of memory so take a look.
i actually just pulled mine out and cleaned it up really good. hopefully that helps. but if not i have one in the mail! and thankyou i will search around a bit

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 10:36 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpeligroso View Post

so just to be clear, when i fill the radiator and burp it i want to put the cap on while its still warm?

and if i read your responses correctly im going to want to keep an eye on my reservoir level because if i dont quite burp it all the way it will pull coolant from the reservoir?
Yep. Once the system cools off it'll create a vacuum and pull coolant from the reservoir to replace any air.

Make sure you clean up everything before you walk away. That way you can see if anything leaked while you were gone.

The Following User Says Thank You to NewRedRider For This Useful Post:
elpeligroso (09-14-2017)
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
ive got an update, so i topped it all off last night and burped it. this morning i took it for a very short test ride and when i got back and turned the bike off there was no coolant on the ground! but it did sound like the reservoir was "boiling". it didnt get over 180 the entire ride and the bike wasnt feeling hot , but there was like a bubbling sound coming from the reservoir.

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 02:12 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
the bubbling is the coolant moving into the reservoir because the rad cap won't hold pressure.

have you replaced the cap yet? also, when you do, be sure to clean the surface in the neck of the radiator that the cap seals against. it's very important that this surface is clean and free of oxidation and debris.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
i cleaned some gunk off my cap but i didnt even think of trying to wipe off where it seals too. and no i havent gotten the cap yet but its in the mail! . ill try checking out where it seals after i get home tonight. thankyou :)

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
alright everybody. i just got the new cap on and i took a ride and everything was fine and dandy until the end of the right it spit up a little coolant. when i stopped in my driveway and hopped off i found another puddle under it. hopefully this is nothing serious. i have noticed that when it does overflow the coolant is more of a white instead of its normal pink color. i have a picture but i cannot figure out how to get it to work on here

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 07:43 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
how far did you fill the expansion bottle before you went out? if you had it too full when cold it would overflow slightly when hot.

fingers crossed it's not a headgasket.
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
NewRedRider (09-19-2017)
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 11:26 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
At this point I would run a pressure test on the radiator. If it's leaking down you'll either see the leak or see the loss of pressure.

If you're loosing pressure and can't find the leak it may indicate a blown head gasket or cracked head or block.

Check your oil. If you have a blown head gasket you may see water mixing in the oil. It'll be a grey sludge. If not, the leak may be in your exhaust and simply blown out.

Does the bike smoke at all? Any white smoke will mean the coolant is being burned in the cylinder. Rev the bike and see if it blows anything out the tail pipe.

Grey smoke will be oil and black smoke will be fuel.

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
so just to update, i kept having the issue up until just recently. it got cold here so i flushed the holy heck out of the cooling system ( like 10 times at least) and then emptied it as much as i could. for the first couple flushes i was getting alot of white tented water out of the bike. eventually the distilled water ran clear and then i switched it to honda coolant for the winter. problem solved . at least so far. its been a week and ive done everything from stop and go traffc to commuting to high speeds to aggressive canyon riding and ive had absolutely no issues. and for the record i never had any issues with contaminated oil or oil levels fluctuating at all. ive got no idea what the issue was but its seems to have gone away. hopefully it stays gone! thank you all for your advice and input on the matter!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page