Battery related issue - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery related issue

Hi All,

I have 06 600rr. I took it out on Saturday for a 30min ride, everything seemed normal. After spending 2hrs at destination i rode it back for 20min, made a quick 3-4 min stop(engine off). and when I went back to my bike to start it, it started choking. I tried it a few times and choking turned into rapid clicking, displays going out and coming back in while attempting to crank it. It just wouldnt start.

I had no idea what the problem was. Because all lights were on, power on was looking normal. Anyway did a quick google search and decided to jump it with a car. Voila! I was able to start it np. Rode it home for another 10min turned it off and started it just fine again.

Next day, (Yesterday) cold started it just fine after about 20hrs passed by, took it to advance auto and battery tested fine.

Not sure if its an alternator issue or the battery going bad.. Is there a way I can identify and fix the issue before it happens again?

Last edited by gtrr; 09-25-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 05:28 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Did you leave your lights on for those 3-4 minuntes?

It could be your stator or regulator/rectifier. I'm sure there are troubleshooting directions in the service manual or elsewhere online. PM me if you have trouble finding them
The Following User Says Thank You to Honda-Power For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (06-05-2018)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Lights weren't on.

I took the bike out yesterday. Multiple stops, no issues at all. I ordered a multimeter and will test it myself as well.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 01:53 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You probably have too low of voltage on the battery and it needs to be charged. Order a 1 amp trickle charger if you don't have one.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to NewRedRider For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (06-05-2018)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 03:02 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Not speaking as an expert here, but I believe if you have dead cells in the battery, in can still appear to be fully charged when metered, but it drains very fast. Vice versa as well, it will charge really fast. How do I know? That's what my battery was doing. I replaced it with a Lithium Iron battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Axel Nut For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (06-05-2018)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:21 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Battery CCA should be 190
The Following User Says Thank You to indfireblade For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (06-05-2018)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 12:28 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
There's only a few things that would cause the relays to flicker open and closed like that. mostly loose or corroded connectors. Easiest thing to check is the positive & negative cables at the battery.Then check the PGM-FI connector (white connector) for looseness. Next, and maybe the most problematic, is the grounding block on the left side of the subframe. this is really hard to diagnose due to its wrapping. maybe just gain access to this or keep it in mind if you can't find anything else wrong. Check the large black wiring harness connector on the right side of the bike (located under the right side air ram cover) for any loose or corroded connections. this is not a waterproof connector and corrosion is easily introduced due to the placement of the harness. If all seems tight and clean, remove the left side mid fairing and check the relay connector. There are a few grounding wires there as well. clean and tight.

If everything looks good, start the engine and jiggle each of the connectors i mentioned to try and induce the problem. once the motor starts acting up, you've found your problem.

ccs907
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccs907 For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (06-05-2018), tary preisser (06-05-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page