2006 CBR 600RR rattle - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 CBR 600RR rattle

Hello guys!

I've been experiencing some problems with a 2006 600RR. I have this rattle like noise that appeared out of nowhere, and at first I thought it was the CCT, I replaced it with an APE, changed the cam chain and the guides, but the noise is still there. Today with a relatively cold engine, I revved the bike to 3k RPM and managed to trace the noise to the clutch.
The noise happens regardless if the engine is cold or hot, however the noise is hard to hear if I drive the bike below 50C Temps, once it gets to about 75C or higher, it's really noticeable under load starting at 4000 rpm. It was really easy to mistake it for a worn CCT. I do not touch the bike until the temps are showing 40C, but if I had, I would have noticed that the noise is actually very loud at the clutch cover, in neutral. Sometimes when it's hot outside and bike is also hot, this noise gets so loud to the point of overpowering the engine and exhaust noise.

Everything seems tight on the clutch side, very little to no play on the basket, no slippage. The noise happens regardless if the clutch is pulled in or not in gear or neutral, however the only things that turn while in gear with the clutch pulled in are the crankshaft and it's components, clutch basket, starter clutch. Could this be caused by the starter clutch? I have about 1000 km with this annoying noise, I would assume that if it was a spun bearing whatsoever it wouldn't have last this long. I do not have any good mechanics around my area so I would really appreciate some insight on this.

-bike has 39000Km
-fresh oil (10w50), did the same noise with 10w40
-valve clearences are within spec
-no idea when the clutch was serviced or if it was at all
-video: https://youtu.be/cr-JOTA6lV8

Last edited by Spykedsys; 09-27-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 12:56 PM
Pocketbike Racer

My bike sometimes makes a similar noise. From what I can remember though it only does it when cold. Maybe a tad when warm but I can't hear it over my engine/exhaust that is for sure. It sounds like something is loose in/around your clutch area. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I'm really curious about this as well, my bike started making that noise also. I know my clutch is dying, as it has never been serviced. So I think my issue is I need to replace the clutch plates. But I have also replaced my front sprocket, and I'm worried it might be lose (Torque wrench was butted up against one of the hoses when tightening the nut) - so I got that to check that also.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the replies, my clutch has never been serviced at least not by me. Still has the red springs which I think are factory. I would love for this noise to be caused by clutch plates, however I don't think it is so. Been searching for a long time, and I can't find anything even resembling this noise. It's alot louder when cold, but even when the engine is hot, it's still there, much more noticeable under constant acceleration while in the 3500-6000 range or so. Just can't figure out what the hell would sound like that yet, but it really isn't normal.

Small Update: tried to better track it today with a screwdriver and a stethoscope, it's defo from the clutch area but is also misleading AF cause the noise travels around. My gut tells me it's either the clutch basket needle bearing or the main input shaft bearing, although I can't see how the input shaft bearing would make noise with the clutch pulled while in gear and standstill, as it's not rotating. I've only found 2 videos on youtube with this, everyone thinks this is cam chain noise, and everyone replaced it only to still have the noise. Granted that when the engine is warm, it really does sound like a CCT about to go. This seems to be one of those issues that never get solved because of some overlooked part that causes it, lol.

Last edited by Spykedsys; 09-28-2017 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Update
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 12:29 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I too have a bizarre rattle or buzzing noise between 4K and 5k (most notable on decel) but it sounds like itís coming from around the tank or head. Changed the CCT and no improvement. Guess itís time for the stethoscope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIP 2k3 Red/Black 600RR

2k5 Black 600RR (track)
2k7 Red R6
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppyR6 View Post
I too have a bizarre rattle or buzzing noise between 4K and 5k (most notable on decel) but it sounds like itís coming from around the tank or head. Changed the CCT and no improvement. Guess itís time for the stethoscope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep us updated! Idk if it's my paranoia or not but im hearing stuff so I'll probably start with the APE cct.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksonic View Post
Keep us updated! Idk if it's my paranoia or not but im hearing stuff so I'll probably start with the APE cct.
Hey man, it it's not sounding like in the video I posted, I'll give you a few things to check:

- bar ends
- speedometer
- windscreen or ram airs
- tank cover (fairing) indentation, can be mistaken for Cam Chain rattle
- foot peg washers/exhaust shield
- exhaust gaskets

Deceleration rattle really sounds like it's a CCT issue, but could be some of the above

Hope this helps you.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

UPDATE: I've been messing around with the clutch basket and noticed the outer basket and gear assembly have quite a bit of play push/pull, like it slides on the shaft, the inner hub has no play. I know there is a shim like spacer between the hub and the basket, could this be causing the rattle? Why would the basket have this amount of pull/push play? it doesnt seem to wobble but i can pull it and push it on the shaft about 3-4 mm, and the cage itself has radial movement on the gear, which means the springs are worn? anyone has any ideas about this?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So..back with an update, i took everything off, clutch basket and bearing seem ok from what i could test, however I think I may have found the nasty noise...and it it's comming from the oil pump. Check out the video, i doubt any noise should come from the oil pump let alone this one. However I have not taken it off yet so I don't know if it is in fact the oil pump or the water pump, as they connect with each other in the motor.

https://youtu.be/4NNz4V7bBlw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page