04 6rr new battery drain - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 6rr new battery drain

I've done multiple Honda wire harness re configurations but this one has me stumped...

04 600rr bought as a basket case everything's there besides side plastics seats and rear tail light even came with a power commander 3 hooked up with a full arrow exhaust system (header included) from what I can tell seems to have been a track bike

I couldn't judge the previous owners abilities or to say anything done to this bike was his work but I got it in barn find condition parts are not a problem as numerous people in my area ride 600rr 1000rr or even f4i including me my main bike is an f4i that I've rode as a stunter for quite a while

I bought a brand new battery just to rule out that being an issues as usual Honda dealer parts unlimited ctz10s-bs charged by them tested at home 12.82 volts before install

Put in battery and of course got pulled away to do other things for the night next day I checked the battery and it was at 2.83 volts...

No idea but obviously there is a voltage leak down somewhere in the harness

I did give the harness a good once over to check for bare wires there were only two that I repaired with 3 coats of liquid electrical tape

Just curious if any of you rr veterans could point to common places where there's issues that allow the battery to drain I'm full hands on I will check everything you recommend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1507882084829.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	195514  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I did read a PDF of the manual and the no start sticky which had better info than the manual TBH

I screen shot each section of the sensor bypass for future reference ;D tinkered around with it a few times after the wife and kid went to sleep just testing for open or closed circuits to ground according to the manual

I can't imagine how the battery would be draining out like this with the bike off and no lights hooked up front or back

There must be a positive and ground making a straight circuit somewhere beyond a resistor to allow the drain but only allow it to slow drain completely between 12-24 hours
The Following User Says Thank You to Reed Radzinske For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (10-13-2017)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 12:44 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Dang thats pretty insane. Do you have a complete list of parts tested? I had an issue with a heated grip set up once, and another time a tip over sensor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Urbane For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (10-13-2017)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 05:31 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I would recharge your battery, and disconnect your power commander from it. Let it sit again, but this time try to keep an eye on the battery every hour or so. See if it drains.

While it is unlikely to be the power commander, you state this is the only aftermarket electrical appliance you have connected to the bike. Might as well eliminate that first.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Axel Nut For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (10-13-2017), Urbane (10-16-2017)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 02:00 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Power commanders are notorious for causing issues with bike's electronics.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 04:26 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,046 Times in 852 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You need to take a systematic approach to this. Just guessing and checking won't help

Connect an ammeter between the battery positive and the positive lead that normally connects to it

Now start pulling fuses until the current goes to zero.

Every circuit on the bike is fused except for the starter motor.

You will more than likely find the affected circuit pretty quick.

Here's a hint, there are only two wires on the bike that are hot when the key is off. Start there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page