Brake pad partly broke off.. still want to use it - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake pad partly broke off.. still want to use it

Hey guys,

So I was cleaning my calipers today and by during my work I managed to drop one brake pad.
It had a piece break off apparently because it fell just wrong (or it's just really fragile..? which I wouldn't think)

Here's the thing, I still want to use it, there's enough wear left for me to use it and it's just too pricey atm to buy new ones. I used glue to keep it in place and I positioned it in the caliper so the small broken off piece would have it's momentum force toward the rest of the pad piece, instead of to fly off.

Now my question to you is, on a scale of 1-10 how sane am I for actually putting this back in place, and do I have a fair chance as to keep riding and have 100% braking ability.

Thanks a lot for your responses in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 12:09 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,047 Times in 853 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
don't use that. if the piece frees itself and lodges in the caliper you could have a front end lockup and write your bike off.

if life safety systems are too expensive you have the wrong hobby
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (12-04-2017), tary preisser (11-28-2017), Urbane (12-31-2017)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 12:43 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
throw it out immediately
The Following User Says Thank You to Crashchris For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (12-04-2017)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 01:13 PM
Pocketbike Racer

If you are determined to not buy new pads, what you could do is just run it without the broken off piece. This would be safer than running a glued together brake pad, which is just insane, but of course it is not ideal either.

Of course, I do not recommend you use that brake pad in any capacity. Pads are cheap. Hospital bills are not.

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
The Following User Says Thank You to Honda-Power For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (12-04-2017)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 01:04 AM
Training Wheel Hero

0, It will ruin your rotors by putting gnarly uneven groves too and cost you more than just a pad replacement.
It can also get worse by falling apart more and lodging itself inbetween the pad and rotor and lock **** up real bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to benga For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (12-04-2017)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 03:47 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600racer91 View Post

Now my question to you is, on a scale of 1-10 how sane am I for actually putting this back in place, and do I have a fair chance as to keep riding and have 100% braking ability.

If 10 is completely sane then a big fat ZERO! You'd be insane to use that again. There is no way in the world the glue you use to reattach it is going to be good enough.

I'm amazed it fell off just by dropping it. I would question just how good the pads are anyway.

You don't cut corners with safety and if it was me I would replace ALL the pads because I would no longer trust any of them to not fall apart.

What make are they and where di you buy them from?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruby Racing For This Useful Post:
498cm3 (11-29-2017), dixon cider (12-04-2017), tary preisser (12-03-2017)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Racing View Post
because I would no longer trust any of them to not fall apart.

What make are they and where di you buy them from?
Yeah that's what I wondered too, I'm not exactly sure what brand they are, they were on it when I bought the cbr.. I ordered some new ferodo sinters this morning though after reading all your reactions.
I was already thinking before that about just replacing them. It just broke off when it fell down from maybe 15 inches high, it gives me a weird feeling why it would be so fragile like that.

Maybe the previous owner damaged it with a screwdriver trying to pry them apart.
I'm throwing the damaged one away and keeping the other 3 just in case..
thanks all for your reactions,
The Following User Says Thank You to 600racer91 For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (12-04-2017)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:00 AM
Knee Dragger

I'm relieved that you are buying new pads. Sensible move.

I would avoid keeping the other three. Just bin them, it's not worth the risk that you might use them again. Especially as I see from another post you intend to use the bike on track.

You need 100% braking capability on the road but if they failed you might get away with it. On track, trying to brake from a 150mph for a second gear corner? If your brakes fail then, you're in a world of hurt. Assuming you survive.

This is Leon Haslam crashing at 172mph at Brands Hatch at the last round of BSB this year. His front brake failed and he got away with a few broken bones. I think he was lucky.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruby Racing For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (12-04-2017), tary preisser (12-03-2017), Urbane (12-31-2017)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600racer91 View Post
Hey guys,

So I was cleaning my calipers today and by during my work I managed to drop one brake pad.
It had a piece break off apparently because it fell just wrong (or it's just really fragile..? which I wouldn't think)

Here's the thing, I still want to use it, there's enough wear left for me to use it and it's just too pricey atm to buy new ones. I used glue to keep it in place and I positioned it in the caliper so the small broken off piece would have it's momentum force toward the rest of the pad piece, instead of to fly off.

Thanks a lot for your responses in advance.

Personally I would never use that brake pad nor would i use glue. The pain and suffering that can result from a failure is not worth it and outweighs the cost of a break pad.
Safety first!
The Following User Says Thank You to GT592 For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (12-04-2017)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I am glad he asked for advice and decided to buy new pads. I have owned a lot of motorcycles and ran a small shop for a couple years. I was always amazed by how so many people just cared about getting everything as cheap as possible and how poorly maintained their motorcycles were. I had numerous people ride in with cords showing on their rear tires, insisting on replacing it with a Shinko because it was the cheapest and then refusing to replace the worn out, mismatched front because the cords weren't showing yet. I get a good portion of people that ride have no idea on how to work on their bikes, many are used to shops trying to unnecessarily upsell then and they don't want to throw away hard earned cash. But riding can be dangerous enough on its own without throwing in a poorly maintained motorcycle into the mix.

I just picked up an 03 600rr a couple weeks ago with 18k on it. The bike appeared well taken care of, and there was no signs of any previous accidents. I took it for a quick test ride and it felt like the front tire was so flat that the beads weren't set. I was freezing my butt off since it was 30 degrees out and the tire looked low so I didn't bother trying to figure out what was going on. When I got it home I went to put air in the tire and it was only 2 psi low. I later tore the front end down to replace the fork seals and install Race-Tech springs and found the steering stem bearings were way too tight and flat spotted. Obviously the problem didn't happen overnight, I can't believe the previous owner regularly rode it like that. Here is a video of how bad they were:

http://cbcaccess.com/600rr/steeringstem.MOV
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jtillery For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (12-04-2017), tary preisser (12-03-2017)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 05:57 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Pads breaking from a drop is not suprising, they are a very shatter prone type of material. So yes, with it broken you should not still use it, maybe without the broken piece in an emergency but surely not with the broken piece in there. But that's not the biggest thing. To me, that pad itself is the issue. LOOK AT IT. I've never seen a surface that looked like it had melted such as this. Its either not OEM, maybe organic, but certainly total crap. My trackbikes oem pads look like new compared to that and I use them hard enough to get fade.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
The Following User Says Thank You to bored&stroked For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (12-04-2017)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 01:46 AM
Pocketbike Racer

B.S. Thread!

That pad looks like complete garbage (without the break). Why is it concave? If you are riding so hard as to completely demolish those pads before they are even worn a little, I would think you would have half the brain to not even ask this stupid ass question.

Replace the pads, and check your rotors for alignment, how is a concave wear pattern even possible?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 02:37 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did you seriously revive a resolved thread just to rant...? While I agree that this should have been a no brainer, not every one is informed enough to make that call (hence the question being asked in the first place). I think he got the point when there was an overwhelming response to buy new pads.

Not sure what you're seeing in the picture also, the pad looks flat with a chunk missing, not concaved. And what "alignment" is he supposed to be checking? He could measure the thickness for wear or the runout for warpage, but the only way a rotor is not going to stay "aligned" with a wheel is if the wheel or wheel hub isn't straight (or again, disk warpage). None of which is relevant considering the only issue, other than some pretty decent glazing on the surface, is that there is a piece missing from the pad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in