fuel issues - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel issues

My 2006 600rr is having MAJOR issues and I don't know where to begin. It starts fine and idles fine as well, but as soon as I try to throttle up it stalls horribly. It will stall, then rev up, then it will stall again. I am thinking fuel filter but this bike has its filter integrated into the pump, if I am not mistaken. Can I clean the filter or replace it? Is my problem maybe because of spark plugs? How would I begin to troubleshoot this problem? By the way, I am not a mechanic so you will have to use layman's terms when you talk to me. SORRY! Any advice, how to videos, recommendations, or anything else will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 03:25 PM
Pocketbike Racer

How many miles? Original owner? Service history? Been in storage?

I doubt plugs are the problem. I would check the air filter for obstructions, and check the vacuum hoses are in order as in not cracked or disconnected. If the fuel is stale I would freshen that up.

Post up more information.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to 498cm3 For This Useful Post:
claytontravis19 (02-28-2018)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 07:05 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You can clean the filter and you can even replace it as I saw some replacements on e-bay a while back. You're not supposed to be able to but in fact you can. There's actually two filters, one coarse and one fine. In the case of my '06, at times the bike would not want to rev to redline very quickly. I took the pump unit out, removed the coarse filter and then cleaned the fine filter. I left the coarse filter out and it hit redline so much faster it was clear right away that it was starving for fuel. This is important because the '06 does not have an 02 sensor so it cannot adjust the fuel trim to make up for a lean condition such as is caused by gradual plugging of the fuel filter. So you can drive around in a lean condition. Not good.

I got several more years out of it with excellent performance by removing the coarse filter and cleaning the fine pump filter. However, two years later the performance issue returned and I figured since it was 10 years old, time for a new OE pump. Being a cheap fucker I first tried a Chinese pump. This worked really well for ONE day before it left me stuck on the side of the road. One day of riding. After that, I ordered up a new OE pump and paid for it.

With respect to fuel and fuel pump issues, I think a lot of it really depends on how well the bike was looked after. If it was always put away with a full tank of fuel then rust should not be an issue. My bike is like that, the tank is rust-free. In my case, then usage tends to kill the pump slowly. On the other hand, if a person neglects the bike and the tank has rust then the pump would tend to fail faster.

There are other things it can be, but fuel pump issues are a common one so I would start there first.

06 CBR 600 RR
The Following User Says Thank You to Arjay67 For This Useful Post:
claytontravis19 (02-28-2018)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks

First of all let me begin by thanking you for your responses. Now I will give a little more information about the situation. It is an 06 CBR 600rr with 14000 miles on it. I believe it was wrecked before my brother got it and put it back together for me. I have had it now for about 6 months and this is happening, AGAIN. I say again because after I had it for a couple of months it started doing this exact same thing. I let a so-called mechanic look at it, but he turned out not to be worth a damn and couldn't believe a word he said. He told me it was doing that because the fuel pump was going out. Shortly after that it stopped stalling like that and everything was fine. Now, two months later, it is doing the same thing. My brother said it probably is the filter because it is one of the parts he did not change when he put it together for me. I have been doing a little research into this internal fuel filter , and I believe it it internal. However, I did see a guy on a video change his filter. Does anybody know of where I can get that filter? Maybe a link where I could watch a video showing me how to do the work myself? I am a new rider and at the point where I want to learn my bike. Therefore, I will probably do the work myself. I do believe it was in storage after the accident, but it hasn't been in storage, really, for about 9 months now. As far as service on the bike is concerned I don't have the slightest idea. Honestly, I don't even know how to or what needs to be serviced on this bike. I am getting it ready for this spring and summer though. What would you suggest I look at or go over in preparation for this season?? First things first though, I will check for air obstructions then filter, then change the entire pump if necessary.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 04:51 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Remove/Empty the gas tank, and put fresh fuel in it. Run sea foam through it. How does it behave now?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Axel Nut For This Useful Post:
498cm3 (03-06-2018), NewRedRider (03-24-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page