weird behavior at lower RPMs - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
weird behavior at lower RPMs

hello , i have a 2007 with about 32k miles . recently ive noticed my bike doing something a little strange. ill take off from my house and have the bike at 3k rpms and without moving the throttle the bike will "jump" if you will . ill be steady at 3k and it will jump up in rpms and go back down and keep doing this untill i speed up . any ideas? only mods are a PC3 and a 2 bros slip on and it only seems to do this at lower speeds.

Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 07:25 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Have you gone through all your pin connectors on your wiring harness? Loose battery cables? Ground cables clean and tight?

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 02:32 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When the rpms jump does the bike "jump" with it or do you maintain the same speed?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:26 AM
Moto GP Racer

Have felt what your'e describing.

Low throttle surging.

think its normal to ECU programming.

bike not setup for slow low RPM smooth running...............low rpm's aren't part of the fuel map for the bikes
intended task...

Slag away.....
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider View Post
Have you gone through all your pin connectors on your wiring harness? Loose battery cables? Ground cables clean and tight?

i have not gone through a single thing . what exactly would i be looking for with the pin connectors? is there maybe a reference you could point me to such as a video or guide you know of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls599 View Post
When the rpms jump does the bike "jump" with it or do you maintain the same speed?
yes , just like its trying to take off, but sence im not moving the throttle it goes back down .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
Have felt what your'e describing.

Low throttle surging.

think its normal to ECU programming.

bike not setup for slow low RPM smooth running...............low rpm's aren't part of the fuel map for the bikes
intended task...

Slag away.....
so what your saying is theres nothing to do about this? when i first got the bike it didnt do this at all .

Thankyou all for your replies !

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 11:32 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
I think tary may be thinking about Honda's throttle lag. But I'm getting a different picture by your description.

Just check your battery cables and make sure they're clean and tight. Check your main ground also. Remove them and check for corrosion.

If you're still having an issue, take the plastics off and go through each PIN connector to make sure something isn't loose. Sometimes the wiring PIN gets loose on the back of the gauge cluster.

What I get from your description is a possible bad ground wire or loose connection somewhere.

Last edited by NewRedRider; 03-28-2018 at 11:34 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider View Post
I think tary may be thinking about Honda's throttle lag. But I'm getting a different picture by your description.

Just check your battery cables and make sure they're clean and tight. Check your main ground also. Remove them and check for corrosion.

If you're still having an issue, take the plastics off and go through each PIN connector to make sure something isn't loose. Sometimes the wiring PIN gets loose on the back of the gauge cluster.

What I get from your description is a possible bad ground wire or loose connection somewhere.

ill try to get to this over the weekend, but wouldnt this affect the bike across the rpm range?

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 11:40 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,047 Times in 853 Posts
Garage
i wouldn't give too much thought to it until you run this tank of fuel out and re-fill.

sometimes you just get a tank of bad gas.
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
NewRedRider (03-29-2018)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 11:40 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Bad connections cause unpredictable results. Assume nothing. Confirm everything possible.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 11:43 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,047 Times in 853 Posts
Garage
i'd like to know which sensors you speak of that would cause low rpm lugging, but wouldn't throw a code

i have another idea, but we will get to that after he gets fresh gas in it.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
wibbly has a good point. Ever since they started using ethanol fuel problems have only been getting worse.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:35 PM
Pocketbike Racer

How's your chain looking? Is it too tight? Any bound links? How's the master link? Try walking the bike around, does it roll smoothly, any clicking/popping noises? Brake pads rubbing on rotor? If you put your bike up on the rear stand, can you push/pull, wiggle the rear wheel at all? Does the wheel spin relatively smoothly, bearings going out?

Check your clutch cable, is it too tight? Should have like a nickels width of free play between the lever and the perch.

Check your battery terminals, are the connections tight? Hook up a volt meter, and monitor DC voltage before you start the bike, as you start the bike, at idle, and at 3000 rpms. Regulator/rectifier issue?

Last edited by Axel Nut; 03-29-2018 at 09:40 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 02:49 AM
Knee Dragger

I can see fuel being an issue as wibly said, but what I can't seem to figure out is how poor chain/wheel bearing condition can cause the rpms to randomly "jump". Even poor electrical connections would more than likely cause a loss of power or surging, not an rpm spike. Maybe I read something wrong...

What I would be checking/doing of this bike was in front of me...
-fresh gas
-plug condition/clean
-ohm out the coils while your in there (just had this on the gf's bike, 1 coil going out was causing the same issue your describing)
-condition of vacuum lines
-disconnect the pc3 to rule out a bad map or firmware issue (same thing on my bike, firmware update resolved surging issue)
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 10:42 PM
Pocketbike Racer

As far as the chain, I'm just going off the result of another thread in this forum with similar issue. Op said chain was unevenly stretched, and replacing the chain fixed the issue. Walking the bike around is pretty easy to check/listen and feel how the bike rolls. I found it kinda hard to believe replacing the chain fixed that OP's issue, but well, it what it is, unless he was lying.

I was just throwing out some easy stuff to do before tearing the bike apart.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
alright so i have a update ... due to school i have not had time to actually check anything but this is whats happening now.

i warmed up my bike this morning and took it to school , but when i came back to go grab some lunch my bike wouldnt start. i got pissed and just ate on campus and when i came back it started up so i took it home. when i got home i came inside and relaxed for a minute then tried starting it again and it wouldnt start .

what it was doing is priming just like normal , i hit the starter and it sounds all normal except it isnt actually starting . after i release the starter i hear the fuel pump prime then a little " squeak" noise that ive never heard before. ive got it to start again scene ive been home but it is not something id trust to ride whatsoever.

Also, i keep my battery charged and its frequently on the float charger i have,( when i got it home it displayed the battery was at 95%).

after reading the sticky on troubleshooting starting problems i have formulated a few hypothesis about what might be wrong .

for one, im at 32k miles and am due for a service. ive read your valves could be affecting it, but they were fine at 16k and i doubt that the problem would just spring up over night if that was the cause. ( im going to still check them either way here very soon) .

for two, it could be the plugs. i changed them at 16k service interval and i am at the mileage where i need to change them again, but im not 100% convinced it is the need for maintenance that is causing either of these problems .

for three,maybe i have a blown head gasket. i have discovered that my coolant is lower than when i left it last. i changed it to water + motul MOCOOL ( additive for water) last summer and flushed it and switch it back to honda coolant once it got colder. at a track day in the heat of the summer i had an issue with boil over out of the reservoir after i got off the track. ( this was with the water+ additive) . well i havent really had trouble with it again until somewhat recently . a couple weeks ago i had to top off my coolant reservoir from below the bottom line to slightly above the top line . just today i had discovered that its now between the 2 lines , lower than it was last time i topped it off.

i am thinking maybe i have a head gasket issue?

this is as far as i am with my brainstorming currently and im going to have a experienced friend come take a look at the bike later tonight or tomorrow.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
alright so i have a update ... due to school i have not had time to actually check anything but this is whats happening now.

i warmed up my bike this morning and took it to school , but when i came back to go grab some lunch my bike wouldnt start. i got pissed and just ate on campus and when i came back it started up so i took it home. when i got home i came inside and relaxed for a minute then tried starting it again and it wouldnt start .

what it was doing is priming just like normal , i hit the starter and it sounds all normal except it isnt actually starting . after i release the starter i hear the fuel pump prime then a little " squeak" noise that ive never heard before. ive got it to start again scene ive been home but it is not something id trust to ride whatsoever.

Also, i keep my battery charged and its frequently on the float charger i have,( when i got it home it displayed the battery was at 95%).

after reading the sticky on troubleshooting starting problems i have formulated a few hypothesis about what might be wrong .

for one, im at 32k miles and am due for a service. ive read your valves could be affecting it, but they were fine at 16k and i doubt that the problem would just spring up over night if that was the cause. ( im going to still check them either way here very soon) .

for two, it could be the plugs. i changed them at 16k service interval and i am at the mileage where i need to change them again, but im not 100% convinced it is the need for maintenance that is causing either of these problems .

for three,maybe i have a blown head gasket. i have discovered that my coolant is lower than when i left it last. i changed it to water + motul MOCOOL ( additive for water) last summer and flushed it and switch it back to honda coolant once it got colder. at a track day in the heat of the summer i had an issue with boil over out of the reservoir after i got off the track. ( this was with the water+ additive) . well i havent really had trouble with it again until somewhat recently . a couple weeks ago i had to top off my coolant reservoir from below the bottom line to slightly above the top line . just today i had discovered that its now between the 2 lines , lower than it was last time i topped it off.

i am thinking maybe i have a head gasket issue?

this is as far as i am with my brainstorming currently and im going to have a experienced friend come take a look at the bike later tonight or tomorrow.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:10 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Like Wibbly first suggested, rule out bad fuel. Either burn it up, or better, empty your tank, and put in known good fuel (removing the tank is easy). If after putting in known good fuel the problem persists, run sea foam through it (as per directions).

What makes no sense is that you state that the fuel pump primes like normal, and after pressing and releasing the starter, the fuel pump primes again and you hear a little squeak noise at the same time.

Personally I wouldn't ride the bike until you figure out what is going on. Making a small problem worse is the worst thing you can do.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
idk exactly what was wrong with the bike, but i had ordered some auctmarts fairings last year and i finally put them on . before i did that i checked all of the electrical connections and made sure everything was plugged in all the way. after all the fairings were on i tried starting up the bike and it started normally and has been fine ever sence. im definatly going to do a compression and possibly a leak down test when i go to do the spark plugs and valves though, just to make sure everythings ok with the bike. that might be my project for this weekend!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page