Plastic thread stripped on airbox - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Plastic thread stripped on airbox

So one of the two threads for the ECU bracket has finally given out on me. I knew it was going to happen eventually.

The new cover from Honda is like $53 so obviously I'd rather repair it than replace it. I'll be watching for a used one for an 03 in the for sale section so PM me if you know of one for sale.

I'm not really keen on the idea of using a helicoil or other thread insert since it seems to be hard to find one that matches the original dimensions and pitch of the bolt. I'd rather not have two different size bolts in there, but its just a phillips head so it wouldn't matter too much.

I've seen the loctite form-a-thread and it looks like the best option at this point, but its $25 shipped to me (can't find it locally) so if it doesn't work I'm already at half the cost of a new cover.

Similarly I've read of people coating the bolt with lube and JB weld then sticking all in the hole and letting the JB weld cure. This would probably be the cheapest option. I've honestly never used JB weld so I'm not familiar with how hard it is when it sets up. Could I just fill the hole completely with JB weld, drill it out, and let the coarse threads of the bolt form their own threads in the JB weld?

Any other options I'm not thinking of?

'03 600 RR - ~33,000 miles (14,000 from me)
Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts

Last edited by G Money; 03-31-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 02:57 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
go buy 2 oversized screws and sink them in.....?

at least same dims......
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
go buy 2 oversized screws and sink them in.....?

at least same dims......
Ya, that would work but OCD wants a solution that uses the same screw.

Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:43 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
Ya, that would work but OCD wants a solution that uses the same screw.
Remove the good screw, and use zip ties. Nothing wrong with zipties at all, easy to remove, easy to replace, no worry about cross threading/stripping.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Axel Nut For This Useful Post:
SaratogaLED (04-02-2018), tylerboyd (04-02-2018)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Nut View Post
Remove the good screw, and use zip ties. Nothing wrong with zipties at all, easy to remove, easy to replace, no worry about cross threading/stripping.
The holes for the ECU bracket don't open into the airbox so I'd rather not open them up especially without resealing them with a screw.

Its weird because the screw was still holding ok, just spinning infinitely. I tried the greased screw and JB weld trick. We'll see how it turns out once its set up.

The Following User Says Thank You to G Money For This Useful Post:
SaratogaLED (04-02-2018)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 09:09 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just buy a fractionally bigger plastic screw from miners (ace hardware) and be done with it.

It'll cost you like 25 cents tops and it will work absolutely perfectly

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
The Following User Says Thank You to Honda-Power For This Useful Post:
SaratogaLED (04-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page